D6 Online 3.0
Lee Torres

[D6 Conversion] Firefly D6

And then later in the series Mal and Wash dealing with Niska's torture and the subsequent rescue of Mal. Now that's thrillin' heroics!

"War Stories" is by far my favorite episode.

I'm aiming to appeal to the Firefly fans that have never picked up an RPG before. A Firefly D6 Introductory Adventure Game, if you will.

I think that sounds like a great idea. Not only would it provide an entry for nongamers, but would also give Firely fans/gamers a ready-to-run diversion from the normal campaign.

Pete

I think that sounds like a great idea. Not only would it provide an entry for nongamers, but would also give Firely fans/gamers a ready-to-run diversion from the normal campaign.

Pete

Thank you, sir! I'm hoping that's the case. Also, by way of new announcements, once the initial offering is out there on the web, I'm doing a slightly revised edition using my homebrew Classic/Legend mashup rules (that I've taken to calling "D6 Amalgam" if only because "Terrifying D6 Mutation" sounds so very wrong) and it'll be

Thrillin' Heroics: Firefly D6

The 'Captain Dummy' Edition

Hopefully it'll be a good platform for showing how Amalgam works. Don't think I'll ever do a pure D6 Legend version of TH though. It's geared for more over-the-top action (DC Universe, Hercules & Xena) than Firefly usually offered...

One other thing, for the TH in D6 Classic - I'm sticking mostly with the skills as listed for D6 Space, maybe borrowing a few from D6 Adventure, but one idea I had for support material was to do character sheets for the game, and to have "in character" skill listings on the sheet. For instance, if you're playing a Corporate Troubleshooter from Osiris, your character sheet would list Deception, Prestidigitation, and Intrusion. If you were playing a freewheeling mercenary from Deadwood, your character sheet would list those same abilities as Lyin', Cheatin', and Stealin'. The difference would be whether your character came from the Core Planets of the Alliance, the Border Planets, or the Rim.

Edited by Lee Torres

1.) Original: (Serenity style font)

TH_FFD6.jpg

2.) New: (Firefly style font)

ThrillinHeroicslogo.gif

3.) Original firefly D6 logo:

firefly_logo_crisp.jpg

4.) Alternate, using same font as new style logo (second from top):

fireflyD6logo.gif

I'm figuring the ones currently on white backgrounds I may put against a parchment background, or change the color of the letters and put them against a dark background.

The font on the new logos is Poetica Chancery III, which isn't an exact match for the Firefly logo, since that was apparently heavily modified, if not done from scratch. There's a number of fonts it's almost like, but none exactly. To be completely candid, I'm more fond of the originals, because the Firefly logo looks a bit... raggedy, I guess, and the Poetica ones look too damn pretty.

Any feedback as to choice?

Edited by Lee Torres

One more option - frayed the edges of the font some in Photoshop - does that make it any more appetizin'?

ThrillinHeroicslogoreversed.gif

No.

1.) Original: (Serenity style font)

TH_FFD6.jpg

3.) Original firefly D6 logo:

firefly_logo_crisp.jpg

Any feedback as to choice?

These are best, IMO.

No.

LOL :P Thank you for your candor, good sir...

These are best, IMO.

Yep, I pretty much gotta agree with you there. So maybe I'll try changing the background on the Firefly D6 image to align it with the Thrillin' Heroics image, and go from there... Next Artsy project will be marrying that completed logo to a suitable image from the show to create a cover...

Thanks for the input, Whill!

LOL :P Thank you for your candor, good sir...

I couldn't think of anything else to say but "more fuzzy is bad". :P

Yep, I pretty much gotta agree with you there. So maybe I'll try changing the background on the Firefly D6 image to align it with the Thrillin' Heroics image, and go from there... Next Artsy project will be marrying that completed logo to a suitable image from the show to create a cover...

Thanks for the input, Whill!

You're welcome. Sounds good.

I liked Thrillin' Heroics, but it kept coming back to me that simpler may be preferable, so the title is this:

firefly_logo_reversed.jpg

Edited by Lee Torres

I love the logo, Lee!!!

Not to nitpick.. but it would look awesome if you could get that "sunbeam" effect to shoot out from behind the Firefly and D6 text... do you know what i"m talking about?

I dunno if that's easily done since I'm no artist and it looks great without it, but might be a nice touch if you can do it?

Looking at it like that, I like the Firefly D6 being the main title and then Thrillin' Heroics in the 'Verse as the subtitle. The logo looks cool, and I agree with Rerun that the sunbeam effect would be awesome if you could pull it off.

So, follow-up question, to those looking to see some sunbeams radiatin' off that logo:

A little bit of sunbeam?

firefly_logo.gif

Or a lot o' sunbeam?

Fireflyopeninglogo-1.jpg

Edited by Lee Torres

Lee, you're a talented photoshopper. The first one seems not quite enough and looks a bit lopsided (more beam on right). The second one is a bit too much. Maybe somewhere in the middle? You asked. :)

Edited by Whill

LOL!

Actually, those are screen caps of the Firefly logo from the series - I was just asking which amount of "glory" you'd like to see on the one I'm doing. I was thinking of going with a small amount like the first one, and having that flare make the letters of the "Thrillin' Heroics in the 'Verse" cast a shadow forward as if it was illuminated from the back...

Anyway, thanks for the Photoshop compliment, even though I didn't earn it!

FireflyD6Wounding.jpg

This is a snippet of an idea I'm toying with for Firefly D6 - heavily inspired by Classic Traveller, it uses three physical attributes simultaneously as the wound points - instead of 20+STR, it uses the attribute numbers in such a way that the penalties for wounds are immediately visible on the character sheet. If your character had 2D in all physical attributes, he'd have 6 points per attribute or 18 total (so it is a little deadlier than D6 Adventure or Space, unless you're tremendously good in the physical attributes). Someone with 4D in each would have 12 per attribute, for a total of 36.

In keeping with that Classic Traveller inspiration, when one of the attributes reaches zero, it counts as a threshold - one gone is a moderate wound, two is a serious wound, three is dead.

At character creation, just mark out any boxes above your attribute - you won't be using them. Probably best use a pencil, in case of advancement coming into play...

Some other options for attribute names I'm considering:

Constitution

Alternatives

• Stamina

• Toughness

• Body

• Endurance

Dexterity

Alternatives

• Speed

• Agility

• Coordination

• Reflexes

Edited by Lee Torres

I might factor in some kind of willpower aspect to hit points

Mal doesnt really seem an amazingly strong or fit guy, but he seems flat out willing to keep going

Good thought. I didn't have an attribute for Willpower in my preliminary build, but I'll re-evaluate. My thought was Mal is heavy on Stamina/Constitution, per his fight with the Operative. He just won't stay down and won't quit.

Someone with a lot of stamina/constitution to my mind would be like Dylan Hunt from Andromeda, we see him playing basketball, know hes professional military etc

Mal we unfortunately get to see without much in the way of attire, and Mal looks like pretty much your ordinary guy. Also from the show there is a lot of talk about the scarcity of proper healthy fruits and other dietary things and also medicines away from the core. So, I dont see Mal as being much more fit or healthy than your average guy

Mal however has willpower through the roof

It occurs to me that we saw Mal playing basketball with the Serenity crew in the beginning of one of the Firefly episodes as well, and it's established that he was a Sergeant in the 57th Overlanders during the Unification War, but that's neither here nor there to your point, I think...

Going back to the initial idea, what about toughness instead of constitution? Issue I'm running into is I want to keep six basic attributes, have intellect and perception (or some similar name) be two of them, and the sixth I was thinking of something like presence. Willpower could work as the last, and then any commanding air, or attractive qualities, could be advantages or disadvantages, I suppose.

As discussed elsewhere, I plan on Mechanical and Technical being in there, but secondary attributes governed by intellect and perception, the combination of these gives the total pool to divide between the Mechanical and Technical Aptitudes.

Back to the topic, though, toughness would be capable of representing both, someone like Jayne Cobb's physical stamina and Malcolm Reynolds willpower. (Same for Zoe, really. She's pretty tough too...)

Benefits I see to that are two (Strength and Coordination) are physical, two (Intellect and Perception) are mental, and two (Toughness and Presence) can straddle a line between the two realms... they can represent either area.

Edited by Lee Torres

Another idea I'm tinkering with is "Mook Rules" borrowing from an old TSR game, "Buck Rogers: High Adventure Cliffhangers" - that concept is the "Mortality Roll." Purple Bellies, minor thugs, and so on have their Toughness and any Armor Add versus the weapon they're shot with. If the mortality roll is greater than the damage, they're still in the fight. If the weapon damage is greater than toughness + armor (or just toughness if they're not wearing armor) then that person is out of the fight. Dead or Incapacitated, doesn't matter really - for purposes of the fight, they're out of it.