D6 Online 3.0
Lee Torres

[D6 Conversion] Firefly D6

New Project Intoduction: August 1, 2009

This project is to build a D6 System rules set to allow fans to play in the 'Verse, the setting created by Joss Whedon for the Fox television series "Firefly" and, after the premature cancellation of that series, the Universal Studios motion picture "Serenity" that concluded the storyline.

To date, other than the official RPG (based on the movie Serenity) there are perhaps a dozen fan-made Firefly conversions to various game systems on line, but the D6 System is not among them. Firefly D6, once it's completed, reviewed, then prettied up some and put into a .pdf format, will change that and hopefully introduce Browncoats (Firefly fans) to the D6 System and D6 System fans to Firefly...

This project is not intended to be a conversion of the existing Serenity RPG to D6 Space, as another thread on these forums was. This is to return to the original source material, Joss Whedon's Firefly and Serenity, and make use of the new official materials from licensed companies like Quantum Mechanix, to create a gaming experience that brings the setting to role-players old and new. To bring the worlds, the wonders, and the horrors of the 'Verse to life. To present a canvas where Big Damn Heroes on the raggedy edge that aim to misbehave can engage in some thrillin' heroics.

Welcome to the 'Verse of Firefly D6.

My current focus is based on discussions on the site about modular templates that I was having with Grimace and Emperor Xan - I'm building templates where your homeworld determines your basic skills, and then your occupation determines the rest. It's at the ground floor right now, but that's what I'm working on at the moment...

I learned something yesterday that may cause that ambitious portion of the D6 Firefly rules to be saved for a second edition: Quantum Mechanix, the good folks that do the Official Map of the 'Verse, as well as a lot of other gorram shiny collectibles, are at work on a multi-volume set called Atlas of The Verse...

http://www.fireflyshipworks.com/2009/03/be-vehwee-quiet-im-huntin-sewenities/#more-799

Once that's done, there should be more than enough detail to provide background skills for all the worlds in the setting. For the first release, I'll probably just flesh out those that we've seen or heard some details about from the series or the movie (Persephone, Ariel, St. Albans, Whitefall, Higgin's Moon, and so on). If it's been covered so far, I'll build a template for it. I suspect, though, that the Atlas is gonna be a gold mine for new details...

Edited by Lee Torres

Way cool. Do I understand correctly that this will be a published licensed work, perhaps released as multiple volumes? And those other things they talk about on that page are also offically licensed products, like the ship models and t-shirt? Wow.

Way cool. Do I understand correctly that this will be a published licensed work, perhaps released as multiple volumes? And those other things they talk about on that page are also offically licensed products, like the ship models and t-shirt? Wow.

Yes, sir - don't know how many volumes yet, but more than one, definitely. I deeply deeply love QMX and the stuff they do. If I won the lottery I'd own one of every collectible they've done for Serenity. They're amazing. They're working on the most accurate reproduction ever done of the Serenity, to be 1:180th scale, and accurate in every detail, built from the CGI model that was used for the movie (apparently way more detailed than what they needed for the Firefly TV series, which makes sense).

They also have Mal's pistol, Alliance money (as seen in the heist early in Serenity), t-shirts, travel posters ("Visit Tranquil Miranda" is an ironic delight)... They do such good work it's scary.

Okay, I'll stop before I get myself moved to Ads!

You and me both, brother! If they supplement their clothing line with authentic Independent Browncoats, I'm finished. Literally. My wife will kill me. "You spent how much on this overcoat? But we live in the desert!" :D

Just want to throw out a question to those following this project: I was looking at the new Star Wars PbP starting up here and it inspired me to dig out my Second Edition Revised & Expanded last night. One thing that sort of jumped out at me is that in R&E humans max out in an Attribute at 4D and can add 2D to any skill on the template that they want to boost. In D6 Space Attributes max at 5D and the player can add a maximum of 3D to any skill at creation. So in the case of R&E you've got characters able to start with a maximum pool of 6D, and in D6 Space you've got characters that can start at 8D in a dice pool (not counting specializations, of course). All other things being equal (18D attributes, 7D skills), which seems (or to be subjective, feels) more appropriate for a Firefly-based game? For my PbP elsewhere on the boards, I'm using D6 Space, but I'm strongly tempted back to the old way of doing things after looking over the R&E book again last night.

Dice Pool Minimum Average Maximum

6 D6 6 21 36

8 D6 8 28 48

I want to produce a free-to-download D6 game using the Firefly setting, and I've been doing a lot of work on it (right now I'm creating the templates for the game - made by taking a homeworld template for the worlds in the 'Verse - then combining it with the characters occupation) so I want to make sure that it has the most appeal to the potential player.

What do you all think?

Edited by Lee Torres

Ah, so, what planet you're from is like a race and then you have an occupation?

Pretty much - a character from Saint Albans would have Survival: Arctic, and other skills relating to getting along on an iceball, where someone from Deadwood or Whitefall might have Riding: Horses, Survival: Desert, Rifle, Bargain, and so on. Sihnon or Londinium would provide skills more typical of "civilized" worlds, computer use, piloting, and such.

If you're playing a mercenary from Whitefall, you've got an extra edge in using a rifle, since you probably grew up using one... If you grew up on a ship, like Zoe said she did (during an argument in the episode "Heart of Gold"), then you've got Zero-G, spacesuit, etc.

I'm considering creating an excel spreadsheet (borrowing the idea from a few character generators I've seen) so you select your homeworld from a pulldown, and it automatically populates the skills you get for that planet or moon, and you select your occupation from another pulldown and get those skills, then you customize to taste and off you go into The Black...

Planets and Moons in the first edition will be:

• Ariel
  • Athens
  • Beaumonde
  • Bellerophon
  • Bernadette
  • Beylix
  • Boros
  • Deadwood
  • Dyton Colony
  • Ezra
  • Greenleaf
  • Haven
  • Hera
  • Higgins Moon
  • Highgate
  • Ita Moon
  • Jiangyin
  • Londinium
  • New Canaan
  • Newhall
  • New Melbourne
  • Osiris
  • Paquin
  • Persephone
  • Regina
  • Saint Albans
  • Santo
  • Shadow
  • Sihnon
  • Silverhold Colonies
  • Three Hills
  • Triumph
  • Verbena
  • Whitefall

For those born "Vesselside" like Zoe (Alleyne) Washburne, there'll also be:

• The Black

Once more info is available (from the Atlas of the 'Verse series, referenced above) I'll revise it to include the additional worlds detailed...

I'm really hoping to make a great game out of this - the 'Verse has been translated so far into Cortex (the official Serenity RPG), and fan projects on the web (or "serial numbers filed off" publications) have done it for GURPS, Risus, Savage Worlds, Hero System, Unisystem, QAGS, HeroQuest, and probably others I haven't run across - I admit I'm surprised no one seems to have done it for Traveller. I want Firefly D6 to be something people will be hankerin' to play once they've given her a read-through...

Edited by Lee Torres

In Star Wars, the game was designed so that humans are the standard and the 2D average/4D max attribute basis came into being. In my games, I increased the human max to 4D+1 fo all attributes, but that's relatively minor. I also increased your typical humans to 14D in attributes, 2D+1 in everything. (PCs are still only 18D in attributes and can have no more than 2D allocated to in any one skill at character creation).

I made these changes because a lot of the text there is about humans in the Star Wars galaxy state how good their dexterity is, their perception, their knowledge, their technical and mechanical aptitude, etc. Everything that would translate into attributes. And humans are the dominant sentient life-form in the galaxy. Like in many games, the game mechanic stats aren't always completely in synch with the fluff text. If humans are so great, then what is the standard for comparision? So I felt it was necessary to boost humans a tad bit, and now they are good compared to the non-descript average sentient that has 2D average attributes and 4D max. Maybe the old 2D/4D is the former Old Republic humans from a while back.

Lee, you have indicated to me that the Serenity setting is grittier and not quite as epic in scale as Star Wars. So for Serenity D6, I agree with you. It should be like the published Star Wars method for human PCs.

Besides, from a practical player perspective, the D6 Space method allows for very lopsided characters. Bumping that 4D attribute up to 5D means that you have to lower something else. And putting 3D in even only one skill means you have only 4D left for everything else. That's severely putting all your eggs in few baskets. Maybe that's ok with a very large group of PCs with a good spread of abilities, but since my player groups tend to be smaller, the PCs have to be a little more well-rounded than that. That's exactly why I didn't take full advantage of the attribute of skill allocation maximums when making my Serenity D6 character, but I doubt I would min/max any character in any game like that.

Last night I was thinking that if I was to go with a Star Wars 1st edition option and eliminate the Wild Die that the D6 Space method might work for Firefly, but the 16.6% chance of rolling up with the Wild Die combined with possible dice pools of 8D (or higher with a specialty) just doesn't seem to fit the setting very well.

When Wash was piloting Serenity away from the Reavers and the Alliance fleet with his "I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar" it was a far cry from Han Solo and Chewbacca piloting the Millennium Falcon through the asteroid belt in "The Empire Strikes Back" - Han was mostly cool and professional, with his "Never tell me the odds" quips, and his somewhat detached and clinical observation of the asteroid cave they would hide in at the end of the chase. Wash was tense, sweating, chanting his mantra, and highly focused on getting his ship out of harm's way. I think the 4D (or 4D+1) attribute maximum and 2D starting skill add works and feels right for the 'Verse. Of course, Wash may well have had higher than 6D, but was less certain he'd "get a six on the Wild Die" when the chips were down. Since every asteroid in that field was neither full of cannibal madmen nor firing missiles or cannons at the Falcon, it may have made the difference in attitude on screen. Plus, Han is a "cool customer" - Wash, not so much.

I'm still open to input, so if anyone feels strongly either way, please jump in. I'd hate to go the Star Wars R&E method, and then hear tons of negative feedback that everyone would have preferred the D6 Space method...

Plus, since it'll probably be at least August when this project is done, any rules adds and the like we create specifically for this I'm planning to add to the OpenD6 database. It might help for those considering a "lower powered" campaign but needing help on how to go about it.

Edited by Lee Torres

After some discussions with others on the board, I think I'll go with a 1D to 4D range for attributes as a base. In order to more accurately reflect the setting, I think rather than the 18D attributes plus 7D skill, I may instead go with 15D attributes and 10D skills, with the previously mentioned limit of 2D per skill at creation.

As an example, Hoban "Wash" Washburne would likely have a DEX of at least 3D, piloting at 2D, and a specialization in Firefly class transports at perhaps another 1 or 2 dice.

River Tam would likely exist solely as an NPC, have 4D (or possibly higher, to some inhuman degree) in DEX, TEC, MEC, KNO, and a number of combat skills, as well as her "Reader" abilities. Disadvantages for her would balance the NPC out somewhat.

Edited by Lee Torres

I still think that starting attribute/skill dice of 18D/7D is best, but if you are going to lower that I would suggest at least loweing only one or the other, not both. Of course, like any game, it is always GM discretion as to what rules the game uses, inlcuding character generation, so all rules in any game can be thought of as suggestions of the authors. :cool:

I still think that starting attribute/skill dice of 18D/7D is best, but if you are going to lower that I would suggest at least loweing only one or the other, not both. Of course, like any game, it is always GM discretion as to what rules the game uses, inlcuding character generation, so all rules in any game can be thought of as suggestions of the authors. :cool:

Well, I actually lowered the Attributes by 3D, from 18 down to 15, and raised the Skills by 3D, from 7 up to 10, so when you suggest lowering one or the other, not both, I'm a bit thrown, since I'm lowering one and raising the other.

I think that given a cap of 4D (or possibly 4D+1, as was discussed), it seems a bit unbalanced to have PCs be at the mid-point between average and the maximum human potential in every attribute. Perhaps it's just that my early gaming was back when character generation was usually roll 3D6 (or 2D6 for Traveller) and assign each roll to an attribute. It makes me think that the Star Wars character creation would turn out characters more like those old "Power of the Force" action figures, all brawny and armored and larger-than-life. As we discussed, if Princess Leia had a 3D strength, perhaps Carrie Fisher was the wrong actress to play the role - she may have been 2D, or even 1D+2, but 3D? Seriously? Same of Skywalker, Solo, and Calrissian - they may have been at 3D for Strength, but based on the films I'd be more likely to put them in the 2D+1 or 2D+2 range. If 4D is a maximum, that means that Olympic Gold-Medalists, Nobel Prize Winners, people with the Dexterity of Harry Houdini and the like are the 4D sorts.

Anyway, it's a personal tweak that anyone could do away with. Personally I'm comfortable playing a hero that's not necessarily overwhelmingly exceptional in every way. I think most of the Big Damn Heroes of Firefly were merely average in some attributes. When Mal asks Kaylee to repeat the information she just gave him in "Captain Dummy talk" it would direct me to put his TEC or MEC in the 2D range... or possibly lower!

Edited by Lee Torres

Also, about your post on the 2D to 4D range and modifying it to 2D+1 to 4D+1, I think in keeping with my template concept that the Attribute range for physical stats and Perception for the Core planets (Osiris, Londinium, Sihnon, Ariel, and so on) will be from 1D through 4D, averaging 2D - the Border and Rim planets (Hera, Deadwood, Saint Albans, etc.,) will have an Attribute range of 1D+1 to 4D+1, with 2D+1 being average. Things are tougher in the Border and Rim, and the folk bred there will be made of strong, fast, and wary stock.

Technical/Mechanical/Knowledge may be the opposite, with those from the Core holding the advantage over their less developed brethren in the Border and Rim.

Going with that idea on a 15D Attribute range, a typical Core template might have 2D in Strength, Dexterity, and Perception, then 3D in Knowledge, Technical, and Mechanical. Numbers could be moved around from that point - say a Core-born Soldier wants to flip those to put him on a better footing physically against Rim natives, that could be done; if an Engineer wanted to be the very best at Engineering, good on theory, and having typical knowledge, that could become 2D Knowledge, 3D Technical, 4D Mechanical, from 3D KNO, 3D TEC, and 3D MEC.

Edited by Lee Torres

In the online fan-made Star Wars 3rd Edition, the author included this, which may find its way, modified, into Firefly D6:

6. Select Edges

It wouldn’t be much fun playing a complete “nobody” in the Star Wars universe. The game is about heroes, villains and cads; not shop vendors, kids and other non-descript “background types”. For that reason the game assumes you are playing someone better than the average street urchin and allows you to select three of the following Edge options. You can select one of the options more than once if you decide.

Destiny: You are special and you start the game with an additional 3 Force Points. In addition, you start the game with a bonus 10 character points.

Experienced: You receive an additional 2D to distribute among your skills and an additional two specializations. You can still only start the game with a maximum of 2D in each skill however. You also receive a bonus language specialization above and beyond the two already offered.

Resources: You start the game with additional equipment worth up to 10,000 credits. In addition you can borrow up to an additional 20,000 credits worth of equipment but these extra funds came to you in some manner that leaves you in debt for twice the borrowed amount to someone. Your Games Master decides who you owe the money to and how they plan to take back the money.

Talented: You receive one additional die to one of your attributes. You must still abide by the maximum attributes allowed by your race selection.

Looking over the available Edges you conclude that you want your character to have the Destiny Edge and that he is Talented. You assign the extra dice to Strength as you are less than satisfied with that side of your character. He only had 2D before and now you can give him 3D instead.

I've also been considering granting an extra die to PCs and NPCs from Border or Rim planets, so PCs would start with 16D in Attributes, and 17D if they took the "Talented" Edge once. I'm undecided on that, since a PC could take "Talented" three times and start with 18D. Or take "Resources" three times and own (or nearly own) their own ship...

Another alternative that I'm considering is lowering the number of edges that PCs can select to two (from three) but granting PCs one free edge based on homeworld - "Talented" for Border or Rim, "Experienced" for Core, so Border/Rim PCs get 16 Attribute Dice and Core PCs get 12 Skill Dice...

Edited by Lee Torres

Well, I actually lowered the Attributes by 3D, from 18 down to 15, and raised the Skills by 3D, from 7 up to 10, so when you suggest lowering one or the other, not both, I'm a bit thrown, since I'm lowering one and raising the other.

Duh, Whill. Of course you're right. Sorry, my brain must have slipped into my Star Wars edition mode again. To balance things out with some alien special abilities and also to help align the game mechanics to more match the fluff text about how dominant and versatile humans are, human PCs get an additional 4D to allocate to skills. All alien special abilities and disadvantages all balance out to this 4D bonus, so aliens with a net advantages and disadvantages of less than 4D get additional skill dice to balance them out with other aliens and humans. Since there are no aliens in Firefly/Serenity, this is not a factor to worry about here!

I think that given a cap of 4D (or possibly 4D+1, as was discussed), it seems a bit unbalanced to have PCs be at the mid-point between average and the maximum human potential in every attribute. Perhaps it's just that my early gaming was back when character generation was usually roll 3D6 (or 2D6 for Traveller) and assign each roll to an attribute. It makes me think that the Star Wars character creation would turn out characters more like those old "Power of the Force" action figures, all brawny and armored and larger-than-life. As we discussed, if Princess Leia had a 3D strength, perhaps Carrie Fisher was the wrong actress to play the role - she may have been 2D, or even 1D+2, but 3D? Seriously? Same of Skywalker, Solo, and Calrissian - they may have been at 3D for Strength, but based on the films I'd be more likely to put them in the 2D+1 or 2D+2 range. If 4D is a maximum, that means that Olympic Gold-Medalists, Nobel Prize Winners, people with the Dexterity of Harry Houdini and the like are the 4D sorts.

I'm not going to disagree with any of your comments about the statting of the Star Wars characters, except that Carried Fisher couldn't be the wrong actress for the role because the game was made from the movie, not vice versa. We have to stat Carried Fisher's Leia, not the brawny action figures you intelligently refer to as examples. If Luke ever had STR 3D it was only after his training on Dagobah. And your example of Earth humans are good examples for the argument for increasing human maximums to 4D+1, at least for Star Wars. (5D also is extreme for Star Wars because it make it more difficult to scale alien maximum attributes -it pushes them even higher.)

Anyway, it's a personal tweak that anyone could do away with. Personally I'm comfortable playing a hero that's not necessarily overwhelmingly exceptional in every way. I think most of the Big Damn Heroes of Firefly were merely average in some attributes. When Mal asks Kaylee to repeat the information she just gave him in "Captain Dummy talk" it would direct me to put his TEC or MEC in the 2D range... or possibly lower!

I disagree it should be lower. Kaylee is a natural technician, a great example of how someone could be naturally good at some basic collection of skills without any formal training of them. Kaylee is speaking from a high TEC, which does mean that Mal is below average. But I think that Mal having a TEC 2D is fairly well supported by Firefly/Serenity media.

Also, about your post on the 2D to 4D range and modifying it to 2D+1 to 4D+1, I think in keeping with my template concept that the Attribute range for physical stats and Perception for the Core planets (Osiris, Londinium, Sihnon, Ariel, and so on) will be from 1D through 4D, averaging 2D - the Border and Rim planets (Hera, Deadwood, Saint Albans, etc.,) will have an Attribute range of 1D+1 to 4D+1, with 2D+1 being average. Things are tougher in the Border and Rim, and the folk bred there will be made of strong, fast, and wary stock.

Technical/Mechanical/Knowledge may be the opposite, with those from the Core holding the advantage over their less developed brethren in the Border and Rim.

Going with that idea on a 15D Attribute range, a typical Core template might have 2D in Strength, Dexterity, and Perception, then 3D in Knowledge, Technical, and Mechanical. Numbers could be moved around from that point - say a Core-born Soldier wants to flip those to put him on a better footing physically against Rim natives, that could be done; if an Engineer wanted to be the very best at Engineering, good on theory, and having typical knowledge, that could become 2D Knowledge, 3D Technical, 4D Mechanical, from 3D, 3D, 3D.

I realy like that idea of core humans having a tendancy to have a slightly higher ability in 3 attributes and lower of the other 3, and then the opposite tendancy for the rim humans. Thank makles sense, and still happens to provide a nice game balance between the two types of humans available in the game.

Edited by Whill
typos galore!

I'm not going to disagree with any of your comments about the statting of the Star Wars characters, except that Carrie Fisher couldn't be the wrong actress for the role because the game was made from the movie, not vice versa. We have to stat Carrie Fisher's Leia, not the brawny action figures you intelligently refer to as examples. If Luke ever had STR 3D it was only after his training on Dagobah. And your example of Earth humans are good examples for the argument for increasing human maximums to 4D+1, at least for Star Wars. (5D also is extreme for Star Wars because it make it more difficult to scale alien maximum attributes -it pushes them even higher.)

Sorry - on the Carrie Fisher comment I was bein' all ironical-like... :rolleyes: I'd have rather seen the Star Wars games produce characters like the ones we knew and loved from the movies - I remember when the "Shadows of the Empire" multi-media thing was underway thinking that Dash Rendar must have been someone's RPG character, grafted into the mainstream...

I personally tend to think of the 3D Strength types as John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone) from First Blood - all bulgy and muscular, but not to the level of, say, some of the characters from "Underworld" - I'd stat Raze (Kevin Grevioux), the main Lycan lieutenant's human form as 4D or close in Strength, and well over 4D in wolf form... and this guy that fought Jet Li in "Kiss of the Dragon" may be a 3D+2 or even possibly a 4D Strength.

Of the main Firefly cast, I'd say Jayne Cobb may be at 3D+1 or in that vicinity, and Mal is probably 3D STR, but not higher. Inara's Perception may be 3D or higher, and that would be supplemented by her Guild training... Overall, though, I can't think of one of the main cast (other than River, as discussed above) that I think would be all Attributes at 3D before shuffling them around to flavor. They're just not 18D level characters, as much as I love all of 'em.

Those of you in my "Power in the 'Verse" PbP need not worry, though. I wanted that to be a bit more "epic" than Firefly, because the characters have some mighty big challenges ahead. Plus, it being based on D6 Space, it balances itself out to that higher level of action. I'm just considering the direction to go for the freeware supplement.

Edited by Lee Torres

July 1st Update...

Inspired by a reference Whill made on another thread concerning how the Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game took some of the simplicity of 1st Edition Star Wars and added some of the good features of Star Wars 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded, I may have found the hook to make the freeware Firefly D6 rules stand out from all of the other freeware Firefly games and even the official Serenity RPG.

I'm aiming to appeal to the Firefly fans that have never picked up an RPG before. A Firefly D6 Introductory Adventure Game, if you will. The concepts I've been working on will still be a part of it, but I'll be narrowing the focus to simplify things as much as I possibly can. Possibly I'll do a followup with more advanced rules, or make it an appendix to the first release, but I'll be leaning more to allowing the players to put it all together in a hurry, and offer the proverbial "soup-to-nuts" experience - a listing of character names (inspired somewhat by the online support for the RPG "Dogs in the Vineyard") that one might encounter in the 'Verse, a slang compendium, write-ups on what is known of the planets and moons, sights to see and sites to avoid; a quick version of ship building, a bit on costs of doing business... an immersive sourcebook, with dead simple rules to put it to use.

Any thoughts on that?

Edited by Lee Torres

Excellent idea! Start out simple, and then have an appendix with more advance stuff for whomever may be interested. And you may just get some Firefly fans into roleplaying (and specifically D6). Bravo!

I think I've got a name for this thing...

TH_FFD6.jpg

firefly_logo_crisp.jpg

For the actual logo I'm going with a font more reminiscent of the Firefly logo, but I wanted to throw something quick together to share with y'all... :D

Edited by Lee Torres

Since "The Train Job" was aired before the intended pilot episode on Fox orders, I thought Jayne's line before being lowered onto the train was fitting... ;)

Thrillin' heroics, as they begin to rob a train. :)

But that was just the beginning. Of course the real heroics were giving back what they stole, giving the money back to Niska's goons and accepting Niska's wrath.

And then later in the series Mal and Wash dealing with Niska's torture and the subsequent rescue of Mal. Now that's thrillin' heroics!

Edited by Whill