D6 Online 3.0
Whill

Star Wars: children film viewing age and order?

I watched the original Star Wars in the theater when I was about 6, and I turned out OK. Before that, I'm now not sure when would be a good age. I guess it depends on the kid and I'll just have to figure it out when the time comes (that's what parental guidance means). I've also debated with myself about what order to have my kids watch them in, but that's a question for another thread...

This came up in another thread and I've been thinking about it a lot lately. What age is best for watching each Star Wars movie for the first time? And what is the best order for kids? What is the best order for adults? How would our experience have been different if we had watched them in chronological order?

I think I'm gonna show them in chronological order, so Episode I will be first, and the worst part in that is that Darth Maul is kinda scary and then gets cut in half. The prequels get progressively worse so each movie might be the only one for awhile until they can "mature" into the next one (or course we can re-watch previous ones until ready fo the next one). Of course, when the kids are old enough for Revenge of the Sith, the worst one of them all, then the rest will be kiddy play. So by the time my kids can handle Revenge of the Sith, Ewoks may be boring. I don't know.

But I want to maintain as much drama as possible for each movie, and if we watch them in the order of release, then they'll already know that Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda can't die (like we did), and what Anakin becomes (like we did). They will know that Padme dies (like we did). They will probably figure out that Palpatine was Darth Sidious (like we did). You only get one shot at watching each Star Wars film for the first time, so I want each one to have the maximum impact possible.

This is what I posted at the Rancor Pit about my wife's experience with the movies...

My wife was a long time Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter freak (books and movies) and she liked some super-hero movies before we met, but she had never seen any Star Wars movies before!

So I wanted her to watch them in chronological order to see how her SW experience would be different then mine (which was seeing the classic trilogy 100 times before 1999). We did so over the course of a couple weeks.

I.
She had no clue that little Ani would grow up to become a monster. And she also had no clue that Palpatine was Darth Sidious until revealed in RotS (I had figured it out for sure the first time viewing Qui-Gon's funeral).

II.
She sympathized with Anakin when his mom died and he killed the Sand People, and still no clue that he would later become a Sith Lord.

III.
Despite Anakin's temptations, she was still shocked when Anakin helped Palpatine to kill Mace Windu and became a Sith Lord, and then she vehemently hated Anakin from the moment he killed the younglings (until the end of RotJ). After the Jedi massacre, she was very disturbed by the whole rest of the Episode III. (Heck the killing of the youngling disturbs me too - I had never even thought of Vader killing
kids
until then.)

IV.
She still hated Anakin/Vader with a passion in ANH. Knowing that Luke and Leia were siblings and that Vader was their father may have even made her hate him even more (especially him holding Leia in check while Tarkin blew up her planet). She had a lot more sympathy for Luke and Leia because of their mother dying in childbirth and who their father is. She completely understood why Obi-Wan mislead Luke about the true identity of Vader and his father, because who would want to hear that their Dad murdered kids? (And right before Luke sees his aunt and uncle had become super crispy toast?) The trench run at the end of ANH was even more dramatic for my wife because not only was it the main bad guy of the movie chasing down the main hero, it was the main hero's evil father and neither of them knew it! The triumphant destruction of the Death Star was even more dramatic for her because the tide had finally turned from the downhill spiral of the prequel trilogy. ANH was even more emotionally satisfying when viewed the first time soon after RotS.

V.
I thought that TESB would be less dramatic for her because she already knew the revelation that Vader revealed to Luke, and maybe it was, a little. But honestly she still felt Luke's pain when
he
first found out. My wife knew just how bad Vader really was, even though Luke didn't. She had seen Vader Force-choke his pregnant wife, so who says he couldn't kill his own son. And she was still amused by Yoda's initial mischief with Luke even though she already knew who he was before Luke did.

VI.
My wife noticed that Luke used the evil Force-choke on the Gammorean guards in Jabba's palace. And when we finally got to the Battle of Endor, when Vader provoked Luke with threats of converting Leia to the Dark Side, my wife then actually became worried that Luke would give in to the Dark Side like his father had. Up until that point, she had thought all along that the saga would end with Luke somehow killing Vader and Sidious, like a lot of us did when we first saw it. But not out of anger, just out of good destroying evil. Luke became enraged and she immediately saw the parallel of Luke to Anakin, the same tension we were meant to feel the first time we watched it without the prequel trilogy. But her actually seeing Anakin's tragic fall to the Dark Side made her feelings more amplified about Luke's struggle. But Luke resisted the Dark Side, and throwing away his lightsaber only increased the tension because who's going to kill Vader and Sidious now? Then, on the edge of her seat, when the Sith Master was killing Luke, she noticed something. Vader was considering something. She said "Hey, what is Vader thinking? Oh wow, could it really be...?" Then, YES, that evil bastard
finally
did the right thing, saving his son and overthrowing his evil Sith master! She
never
would have guessed that Anakin could ever be good again after seeing just how low he sank. And watching Anakin's death scene still made her sad for Luke because he only had a real dad for a very short time. Ironic because just a little earlier in the moive she was rooting for Luke to kill Vader. So it didn't turn out like she expected, but she was extremely gratified that after seeing all the evil that Anakin had done in his life, Anakin died as a Jedi and a loving father. The evil of the Sith was finally destroyed once and for all, and Luke could start a new Jedi order.

So the end results? She is now a Star Wars fan. Not nearly as much as me, but she is a fan now. And she had a great experience watching them for the first time in chronological order. The only one that seemed maybe a little less dramatic for her was TESB because she already knew what Vader told Luke. But the other five movies definitely seemed better for her.

She does like the classic trilogy better than the prequels, but a lot of you who saw them in order of release also feel that way too. She's a big muppet fan, and Yoda (a reverse-speaking Grover) is her favorite character, and she likes the authentic CG Yoda from AotC and RotS. And of course, she loves the Ewoks.

One advantage of watching the films in chronological order is that there is no "pre-destined" future. Anyone character can die at any moment (at least if you don't look at the DVD case). What if you love Yoda and you don't know if he will survive his battle with Sidious in RotS? What if you have no clue that Anakin becomes Vader? What if you have no clue that Chancellor Palpatine is Darth Sidious? Yes, that means that you know that Luke and Leia are the children of Vader before they do, but you still don't know that Vader won't kill Luke in TESB? And watching Anakin's fall to the Dark Side makes his redepmtion even more of a surprise at the end of RotJ.

But then on the flip side, RotJ is probably the most kid-friendly movie, but watching that first pretty much kills all the rest of the movies (even my favorite part of the saga, Luke's run on the first Death Star). Which is why I thought of starting with TPM, and then when the kids mature letting them watch AotC when they are mature enough for that, and then letting them watch RotS when they are mature enough for that. And then when we watch RotS, the rest follow immediately so we would have one mega-Star-Wars weekend where they get to watch III-VI back to back.

So it would stagger I, II and the rest into three maturity tiers, the classic trilogy coming along Episode III.

I thought of maybe showing just ANH and then going back to the prequels before moving on to the sequels, but even with that you would know that Obi-Wan won't die in the prequels. And when get to the part of RotS where Anakin is proclaimed to be Darth Vader, then you will know he wont die in the movie either. My wife did not know if Obi-Wan was going to defeat Anakin/Vader, and the battle was intense for her (of course rooting for Obi-Wan - she was upset Anakin/Vader survived at the time). At least the fate of Yoda would be safe since he was not seen or mentioned in ANH.

I appreciate anyone's thought on this and experiences with their own kids. But if your reply is along the lines of "Don't bother showing the prequels to the kids at all because they suck" then you might as well not reply in this thread. I am definitely showing all Star Wars movies to my kids at least once at some point. They will decide if they suck. So with that in mind, thank you in advance for any suggestions or discussion contributions about the viewing order and viewer age of showing all Star Wars movies to my kids.

:swb:

Edited by Whill
missing words

dont show the prequels cause they sucked.

joking aside i kinda wished i could have seen it in that order, the prequels shouldnt be as anti climatic as they indeed where knowing who will survive and who becomes who before any of the cheracters even knew.

on the other hand there is a chance that VI-VI will be the anti climatic ones as you said, partly because of the tamer level of violence and partly because the diferent levels of CG as bad as i thought it was in the prequels are lightyears(:P) ahead of the original trilogie. guessing young minds wouldnt share my thought in it still being one of the bes CGs ever made for all movies of all time. the difference being they knew that now they have done enough, it cant be any more flash with the exceptions of the death star explotion which to be honest arent that much worse then some of the things they try to pass of these days.

and thats about as unconclusive il go, either way its still star wars so cant really go wrong on that front \sw\

Well, I'm pretty sure you know my opinion of the prequels, but that aside, I'll offer this:

If you really want to grab them, watch Star Wars (Episode 4) first. It sets the best mood, the best tone of all of the movies. It's really the most "stand alone" movie of the 6, so the only thing you'd have to worry about being "spoiled" in it is that Obi Wan get's killed by Vader. Since you're going to be showing these to kids when they're younger, their memories aren't going to be super sharp and the visual look of Obi Wan is so different from Ep 4 to Ep 1 they won't really even notice.

After you start with Ep 4, then you can go with Episode 1. Wait for them to be able to handle the grittier version, then go to Episode 2. Wait some more...then Episode 3.

Then, rather than pumping the rest of them out in a hurry, wait some more before you break out Episode 4 again. Then a shorter wait for Episode 5.

The biggest and most OMG!!! moment in movies was the revelation that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father. For that moment alone, I would personally watch them in the order they originally came out...so 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. But, since you seem to be of the pre-determined mindset that they have to be watched in chronological order, the only thing I suggest is putting Star Wars both first, and then in chronological order.

Your wife was looking at the movies as an adult looking at a story. She could rationalize things, reason things out, and extrapolate a story to fill in the blanks. Most children won't have that sort of rationalization, so you could very easily mix and match things and they'd still watch it without too much confusion. I just remember what an impact the movies made on me when I watched them in the order they were released: Star Wars, then Empire Strikes Back, then Return of the Jedi and then the prequels.

You don't want the prequels to be spoiled by them watching the originals first. The thing is, if the prequels were done right there wouldn't have been that problem. Since they weren't you're forced to watch them in chronological order which basically kills the "wow" factor that hooked literally thousands of die hard fans like myself when I was only 6 years old. Empire Strikes Back, the biggest most shocking part of the movie, becomes completely void of actual shock value by watching them chronologically. An adult can use reason and say that "...still felt Luke's pain when he first found out". But that's not what people felt when they first experienced that in the theaters. People were stunned, shocked, in disbelief. They didn't "feel his pain" because they didn't have to try to rationalize the acting to mean something it didn't.

The other problem with the prequels is that, besides the Phantom Menace, they're much darker than any other film, even Empire Strikes Back. Han being frozen in carbonite was an omigosh moment. Seeing Vader standing emtionlessly by while Princess Leia hides behind Chewie...that was dark and sinister. But by comparison to Anakin slaughtering Sand People and killing children mercilessly, or Obi Wan chopping off Anakin's legs and arm, the stuff in Empire is tame. So Episode 3 is dark, evil and not the stuff for younger kids really. So you're faced with having to wait two to three years between each movie for the prequels from the original viewing time of Episode 1 (assuming you're starting the kids young, say 5-6).

So while *I* would want people to watch them as they were released, I can tell you want people to vindicate to you the reasoning to watch them chronologically. So as a compromise, watch Star Wars (Episode 4) first....then watch them chronologically. Go a couple years between each showing, and hopefully by the time you get to Empire Strikes Back the kid's memory will have flittered about enough to have forgotten things and it might well be a surprise when they find out Vader is Luke's father. Just don't be too surprised if your kids don't grow up being as big of a Star Wars fan as you are.

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen.

Let me make clear that I am debating the time to first show each movie. Of course I can re-show a movie when it's already been shown, even a couple years later. When the final movies are ready to be shown, no matter what order they first watch the previously viewed films in, we will re-watch the previous ones to put the new ones into context. I never meant otherwise.

I completely agree that Episodes II and II are the darkest ones, darker than even Empire. That's part of the dilema.

Grimace, I am not dead set on showing them in chronological order, or I wouldn't have posted the thread. That is what I am leaning towards, but I have years to decide so I can change my mind. I've seen the poll and know this is a "classic trilogy" crowd, by and large. This wouldn't be the best place to search for "prequel" vidication, and even though I'm sure a place exists, I don't know where that would be. If anything, I am looking for the other (your) viewpoint for balance.

I understand your #1 suggestion is in order of release, to not spoil the classic trilogy revelations. I get that. That was my order of first viewing them too, and in 1980 I felt the same way you did about the "I am your father" moment.

And I understand that you are suggesting that kids may not notice things and make connections between movies. I know you are right in general earlier on, but I also have to also consider the possiblity that a little bit of me may rub off on my kids, so they may be astute at noticing details and critically question them. "Dad, tell me why..."

I appreciate your compromise suggestion of watching ANH first, then the prequels, then the sequels. But when they are ready for the darkest movies in the saga, they are ready for them all. And after seeing Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, they may need to see to his vidication at the end of the series soon.

And I'm definitely not going to wait years after the prequels in hopes that they forget that Anakin is Vader and therefore Vader is Luke father. That's really defeating the purpose of deciding on an order, because if our goal is to forget then there it doesn't matter what order they are watched in. I'm interested in with how the saga as a whole will impact my kids, so of course I have to be concerned with how each part will contribute to that whole and how the order will effect each part's impact.

And we've got to consider the exceptions to the rule. I'm from the original generation, but I like two of the three prequels better than the sequels (gasp!).

And my my kids' mother watched them in chronological order, and she still likes the classic trilogy better. She knew that the mischievious little swamp muppet was Yoda the Jedi Master before Luke did, and also that Vader was Luke's father before Vader told Luke, but Empire is still her favorite movie anyway. It has the most Yoda, even though most of the time he is just spouting Jedi philosphy. Her next favorite is Return of the Jedi, despite the fact that she already knew that Leia is Luke's sister. Her favorites ranking goes like this:

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

A New Hope

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

Grimace, I understand that you may not have gotten into Star Wars as much if the revelation of Empire had been "spoiled" for you by Episode III, a movie you didn't care for. But other people may be big fans based on seeing the prequels and all the darkness first, and then seeing how it all gets resolved. My wife may like the classic trilogy better, but Episodes II and III helped give her that appreciation. After seeing Anakin's fall, it was a more unexpected plot twist that he would return to the light and destroy the Sith.

As an other "compromise" option, to protect that Empire "I am your father" moment, I previously considered this order: 4,5,1,2,3,6. But more (total) seems spoiled this way. You know that little kid Anakin grows up to become Darth Vader and Luke's father. You know that Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Emporer Palpatine (all four) survive their epic lightsaber battles in Episode III. I knew and I thought they were bad-ass, but it was very intense for my wife when she didn't have a clue what would happen. And the movie was so dark leading up to the end so she really didn't have much hope that Obi-Wan would win or Yoda would even live.

So with watching Empire before the prequels, you do get that father-revelation moment. Very true.

But watching them in chronological order, any character could die ant any moment in all six movies, and you get a surpise happy ending of the saga that is even less expected after the darkness of the prequels. Even with title of RotJ, no one expects that the Jedi who "returns" would be Anakin. Watching Episode III before the classic trilogy the first time even seems to make A New Hope more intense.

Either way you go, it's a dramatic trade-off for sure, and of course it is debatable which order is more dramatic, thus this thread.

Edited by Whill
typo

Let me make clear that I am debating the time to first show each movie. Of course I can re-show a movie when it's already been shown, even a couple years later. When the final movies are ready to be shown, no matter what order they first watch the previously viewed films in, we will re-watch the previous ones to put the new ones into context. I never meant otherwise.

i watched the sequels when i was around 10, so i did asume about the same age they would have the same understanding(also the reason i brought up the cg bit). i actually had an understanding of what was going on, maybe not the complex bit like the philosophy and some of the motives. but if they get into them they will re watch them and will eventually ask questions or want to rewatch em.

I completely agree that Episodes II and III are the darkest ones, darker than even Empire. That's part of the dilema..

thats one thing speaking for showing them by year of making, not all kids(even older and to some extent some adults) cant handle the intensity of them.

Either way you go, it's a dramatic trade-off for sure, and of course it is debatable which order is more dramatic, thus this thread.

ultimatly either you will know some things or you will know some other things before they happen. so if you ask yourself the question "when do i want to intorduce them to the wonderfull world of star wars" wait for the time to come and judge by the childs psyche if its ready for the intensity of the prequels or the tamer start of the sequels.

could always consider the ewoks and droid(never watched this one just know it exists) series as a bite size introduction to the world, not much of a previwe but it might just get them wanting to know more.

Edited by Whill
Whill: "Episodes II and II" should be "Episodes II and III"

I saw my first Star Wars film at age 7 (ESB first run in theatres) in '81. I believe I was quite old enough for the movie at that age, although admittedly the Wampa scene did startle me a bit, but nothing that I didn't shake off moments later.

At that age, I was well aware of the differences between fantasy and reality and the only impact the movie had on me was positive and inspirational. I believe I could have seen the same movie two or three years earlier and still been no worse for the wear.

My little nephew is a big Star Wars fan, having seen them as early as 3 (he is now 6, iirc). I did notice that he is quick to play act the fight scenes, especially lightsaber duels, if will occasionally let his energetic play turn a little more violent than adults might like (fortunately his bother is two years older, twice as big, and 40 times as strong). So, for boys, I be hesitant to let them see Star War QUITE that early because of boys tendency towards violent play.

Of course, violent play is arguably TIED to male development and boys will "play combat" whether they see violent movies or not. At least Star Wars offers of a classic morality tale where morality is quite black and white, and should not being confusing or send mixed messages on "good" way to act and "bad" ways to act.

My call:

Boys -- 5 (4 if they are fairly mature and creative)

Girls -- 4 or ealier.

At that age, and especially with girls, be prepared to have to answer a LOT of questions as the little kidlins try to make sense of the complex relationships and convoluted politics (especially in the prequels).

I think ST:ANH is a good place to start because the storyline is the most simple, and almost totally devoid of moral ambiguity, and I think the lower special effects will help them to appreciate quality of story, over quality of effects.

Edited by hellsreach

That is what I am leaning towards, but I have years to decide so I can change my mind. I've seen the poll and know this is a "classic trilogy" crowd, by and large. This wouldn't be the best place to search for "prequel" vidication, and even though I'm sure a place exists, I don't know where that would be. If anything, I am looking for the other (your) viewpoint for balance.

I liked the prequels. I think ep I is probably tied for my favorite with ep IV for an overall fun watch. i know jar jar was jar jar, but qui-gon was such a strong (and horribly underused) character that I wish he would have made it to ep II.

I'm going to show them in order, I-VI, but as my daughter is currently uninterested in the movies, it will probably be awhile. My girlfriend's daughter OTOH is 10 and loves fantasy and sci-fi, but has strangely never watched star wars so the three of us are planning a star wars-athon at some point.

Incidentally, re: force choking gamorreans, did anyone else have players who constantly wanted to argue that? I finally told mine that he was actually using Affect Mind to make the gamorrean only think he was choking. :)

Hey, also, as to letting kids watch ep IV - if you distract them during the charred bodies and arm cutting scene - one thing I did with my daughter was tell her that all the stormtroopers and rebels getting shot at the beginning were only being put to sleep - since leia got stunned and woke up later I think she bought it.

Hey, also, as to letting kids watch ep IV - if you distract them during the charred bodies and arm cutting scene - one thing I did with my daughter was tell her that all the stormtroopers and rebels getting shot at the beginning were only being put to sleep - since leia got stunned and woke up later I think she bought itHey, also, as to letting kids watch ep IV - if you distract them during the charred bodies and arm cutting scene - one thing I did with my daughter was tell her that all the stormtroopers and rebels getting shot at the beginning were only being put to sleep - since leia got stunned and woke up later I think she bought it.

That's pretty sly. I don't think that "sleep" bit would work when Yoda throws his lightsaber through a stormtrooper in Revenge of the Sith, lol.

My ex-girlfriend and I tried the distraction bit when showing Attack of the Clones to her young daughters (the part after Anakin's mom dies and he slaughters the entire village). It's really not my preference to do that because they miss out on the emotional impact of the scene. Even the charred aunt and uncle. The Empire killing Luke's family is his motivation in changing his mind and going with Obi-Wan.

That's why I would prefer to not show each movie until the child is completely ready for it

We showed our kids IV, V, VI over a year period when they were 9/7 and that worked fine as those are pretty tame. We thought about showing them in order, but IV, V, and VI are all of the same intensity level more or less. Whereas I and II are fine, but III is a big leap from any of the movies. Mainly because it glorifies betrayal, domestic violence, treason, vigilantism, and all manner of stuff that I think kids need to be older to deal with. It's a PG-13 movie for a reason. We recently showed them I and II which went well as they are 10/8, but we probably will have to show III to the older one when he turns 12 or 13 and the younger one will have to wait to catch up.

We showed our kids IV, V, VI over a year period when they were 9/7 and that worked fine as those are pretty tame. We thought about showing them in order, but IV, V, and VI are all of the same intensity level more or less. Whereas I and II are fine, but III is a big leap from any of the movies. Mainly because it glorifies betrayal, domestic violence, treason, vigilantism, and all manner of stuff that I think kids need to be older to deal with. It's a PG-13 movie for a reason. We recently showed them I and II which went well as they are 10/8, but we probably will have to show III to the older one when he turns 12 or 13 and the younger one will have to wait to catch up.

Well, PG-13 didn't exist for the 1st trilogy. That rating was created after Indiana Jones (Temple of Doom) and Gremlins.

Well, PG-13 didn't exist for the 1st trilogy.

True, but they wouldn't have been rated PG-13 even if the rating had existed back then anyway. The only Star Wars film that is and should be PG-13 is RotS.

Yeah. People keep mentioning the charred bodies of the aunt and uncle, and the arm chopping in the cantina as things that would be harder on kids. I was 6 when I saw that, and it didn't freak me out. So any of the originals wouldn't be bad for children of pretty much any age from 6 onward. I don't know if I'd show it any sooner than age 6, though. A kid any younger probably wouldn't even understand what they were watching it and have even worse recollection of it.

Yeah. People keep mentioning the charred bodies of the aunt and uncle, and the arm chopping in the cantina as things that would be harder on kids. I was 6 when I saw that, and it didn't freak me out. So any of the originals wouldn't be bad for children of pretty much any age from 6 onward. I don't know if I'd show it any sooner than age 6, though. A kid any younger probably wouldn't even understand what they were watching it and have even worse recollection of it.

I agree.

As an other "compromise" option, to protect that Empire "I am your father" moment, I previously considered this [episode] order: 4,5,1,2,3,6...

Sometime within the past month, the StarWars.com gadget on my iGoogle page referred me to this film reviewer's blog (below). In September, this guy decided to use the Star Wars Saga blu-rays to introduce Star Wars to his kids. I have gathered that he has two boys and a girl who I believe is the oldest. The boys are ages 6 and 3. He choose the film viewing order as: The original two Star Wars movies first, then the prequels in order, then RotJ last. He is very detailed about his children's experience, and I've been waiting for he and his kids to get through the last movie to necro this thread and post his blogs because they are very relevant to this discussion.

Like most of us, the reviewer himself also originally saw the films in the order of orignal release. But he wanted to experiment with a different viewing order for his kids (like I did with my wife). I think he wanted to preserve the drama of Vader's revelation to Luke (he even filmed his kids reactions and posted it on YouTube and in his blog). After TESB, he showed the prequels as an "extended flashback" before returning to the classic trilogy for the entire Saga's conclusion. He seems to feel strongly that there is no story after RotJ so wanted it to be last no matter what.

I don't necessarily agree with all of his conclusions, but overall I found his blogs to be an extremely interesting (and at times moving) read. To preview his biases for you, he feels that the prequels are somewhat inferior to the classic films, but he doesn't harbor the extreme hatred for them as many older fans do. As he puts it, the prequels are still apart of the same universe that he loves, and they are still Star Wars. He sees dramatic value in them as supporting and enhancing the drama of the classic films.

And as a parent of a toddler I feel compelled to add that I question his judgement in showing at least RotS to at least his 3-year-old, but I do respect his role as a parent in guiding his son, watching the film with him, and pausing it to talk about it as needed. I am not the child's father, and ultimately it is up to all parents to decide when their own children are ready for movies based on their content.

The following blogs are dated Sep 22 - Nov 6, 2011. I suggest reading them in the order they were written (the order they watched the films, as presented below):

IV: A New Hope

V: The Empire Strikes Back

I: The Phantom Menace

II: Attack of the Clones

II: Revenge of the Sith

Vi: Return of the Jedi

Thoughts?

The following blogs are dated Sep 22 - Nov 6, 2011. I suggest reading them in the order they were written (the order they watched the films, as presented below):

IV: A New Hope

V: The Empire Strikes Back

I: The Phantom Menace

II: Attack of the Clones

II: Revenge of the Sith

Vi: Return of the Jedi

That is one way to do it. This guy's viewing order does still accomplish maintaining almost all of the dramatic value of the classic trilogy. The only thing truly spoiled is that RotS reveals that Luke and Leia are siblings before Luke and Leia find out in RotJ ,which doesn't seem like that big of a deal. And the parallels of RotS to RotJ that made RotJ a little more dramatic for me may actually work to make Jedi slightly more dramatic if it is first watched directly following Sith.

As I stated back in 2009, the flip side is that most of the prequel trilogy is still spoiled by watching the original two films first. You still know that Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda will definitely not die in any of the three prequels. You know right off the bat that the little kid Anakin in TPM will eventually grow up to become Vader. Most of the experience of the prequels would be no different than watching all three of the classic films before the prequels like our generation did - a generation that by and large doesn't like the prequels as it is.

Chronological order does spoil some of dramatic value of TESB, but it does allow for the maximum dramatic value for each movie as you go because any character could die at any time. Even in TESB, Luke could still die or cross over to the Dark Side. Luke could kill his father. Anything could happen to anyone at any time. No "pre-determined destinies" like when watching the prequels after the classics. IMO, that overall increase in drama trumps what RotS takes away from TESB. Viewing in episode order still gives you the shock of Anakin crossing over the Dark Side, but this way you get it earlier and see it as it is first happening. And like I said, my wife is a living example of chronolgical order not ruining her appreciation of the classics. She likes classics better than prequels. Already knowing that the mischievous little elf was Yoda and Vader was Anakin and thus Luke's father didn't spoil her enjoyment of TESB. Empire was still her favorite of the six, while Sith was still her least favorite despite first watching them in chronological order.

...Since this thread began in 2009, I actually have changed some of my previously stated opinions and tentative plans regarding my son's future Star Wars viewing experience, but I'll save that for a future post.

Edited by Whill

I didn't write those blogs. I just shared them here, invited others to respond to them, and then responded to them myself without waiting for any others to do so first. By doing so have I violated some standard of forum etiquette that I've been oblivious to all these years?

I was quoting the links to the blogs and his viewing order...

There, I've edited it to make it perhaps slightly less odd. But if it's still odd to you, then maybe you'll just have to accept that I'm odd. Polite society normally doesn't point it out. :P

There, I've edited it to make it perhaps slightly less odd. But if it's still odd to you, then maybe you'll just have to accept that I'm odd. Polite society normally doesn't point it out. :P
Thanks for the edit. And while I don't think that is generally true for odd people. It may be true for people deemed eccentric. But for me to put you in that category I would need to know your Call of Cthulhu Credit Rating Score. ;)