D6 Online 3.0
Rerun941

Sci-fi Channel

Ok. I'm a guy. I always think "stiffy" when I see it. Not a good move. I'm assuming the same goof-ball that decided this was responsible for "Spike".

I find the programming for the most part more annoying than the name change. It's become a code word for "really cheap, crappy movies". You could have kept MST3K running for years with only "original movies" from SyFy to give them material.

Well, I'll post this, and my opinion should be clear from that:

I read an interview with David Howe, the President of the SciFi/SyFy Channel on the change. He said that branding the channel was a problem because sci-fi is a generic term. He said that ESPN and Coke were huge, well known brand names, but imagine if they were called "Sports" and "Soda" instead.

Sure, okay, I can see that point.

Here's my problem, though. Say Coca-Cola was in that situation. They'd originally gone into business as "Soda" and encountered difficulty branding it against Pepsi-Cola and Royal Crown Cola and Mountain (oh, forgot, now it's MTN Dew because, hey, why not, right?). So, in a panic, these imaginary account execs have a brainstorming session with publicity.

Their new name? The name that will put them on the map and change their fortunes forever?

Sew-Daaaah.

What? I mean, seriously, what?

Maybe if they'd made better movies, instead of pumping out derivative crap for years on end. Maybe if they'd nurtured projects like Farscape and Battlestar Galactica. Maybe more "events" like Dune...

Nope. Instead, we get SyFy... "Imagine Greater."

I've also heard many times that in Poland, Syfy is a slang term for syphilis. No solid corroboration yet, but I've heard it from four different sources.

So, well done, too-generic cable network. Way to miss the mark entirely! Well done indeed.

So, my vote is for "fresh and hip!" :rolleyes:

Edited by Lee Torres

I think it stupid.

"Sci-Fi" is the theme of the channel and its overall purpose.

SyFy, tells me NOTHING!

Its sounds the same and it almost looks the same, but its supposed to mean all sorts of neato keeno new stuff?

Doesn't do anything for me actually.

the problem is one of having roughly 40 years of old crap on tap to run endlessly.

They had the "voice from the future" future news segments that I strongly want them to bring back in DVD form, they were quick and brilliant.

Then again, the "Saturn Rising" sequences were inspired.

They need to go back to what WAS working rather than flail about aimlessly trying to replace it.

And MORE actual in house programming.

Most of the films they display are cheap direct to video crap easily purchased for viewing.

They probably spend less than $10000 per Saturday getting in those films, and sell about $500,000 in commercials.

Give me more like Eureka, where the show is truly one of the cornerstones of the network.

And also Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1 and the small handful of others which really are what drives the success of "Sci-Fi"/SyFy.

They need to offer more of the backlog as DVD collections and encourage more NEW programming.

Maybe a damn fine news show covering the bleeding edge of science FICTION having become science FACT.

Offer such a news show about 6pm or so, 5 days a week... could they do it?

I'd like to think so.

Real news tailored to the audience at hand.

Not silly Weekly World News and "National Ignoramus" and similar grocery checkout lane stuff but REAL news.

Ghost Hunters and the "Fear Factor"-whatever show where they pull scary gag/pranks are nice theme shows for the channel but we need more.

We need a channel that maybe offers a Sci-Fi themed Soap Opera perhaps even.

The life and loves of a community in the 23rd century.

Maybe call it Century City?

It isn't the name that is the problem, its the lack of courage to go out there on that limb and really put their brand to the test.

A-frakkin'-men, Skel! That about sums up the problem. Not so much branding, as having something worth branding. If Coca-Cola tasted like cat-piss, there'd be no issue of "Soda" or "Coke" - it wouldn't sell, so brand is irrelevant.

All great points.

live in the wrong country to actually get the channel but as far as names go unless it makes the logo bigger i dont care much for whatever name a channel uses.

what is important and what always should be more important then a name is contents. which i hear is where they are failing.

SyFy sounds silly, but SYFY would be cool. A random string of letters just says TV/Radio station, CNN, ABC, NBC, TNN, TNT, ESPN, WGAR, WQMX, WKNR, PBS etc

In Houston theres even a KILT, not 'kilt', but KILT

I thought it was pretty lame, but it's not like they have any quality programs in the first place. Like someone else mentioned, it's just a repository for really crappy movies.

I thought it was pretty lame, but it's not like they have any quality programs in the first place. Like someone else mentioned, it's just a repository for really crappy movies.

Its not like they don't have ANY quality programs, its that they don't have ENOUGH.

My wife told me about this, but I thought she meant that the Sci-Fi Channel was calling the entire genre "sci-fi" by the new name "syfy". Now I understand that they are just changing the name of the channel.

I never knew that the name of the channel was just "Sci-Fi", so it had no brand identity in a sea of multiple sci-fi genre channels. As I mentioned above and the title of this thread mentions, I thought the name of the channel was "The Science Fiction Channel" or "The Sci-Fi Channel". It was always branded in my mind from the general genre by the inclusion of the words, "The" and "Channel". It wasn't sci-fi the genre, and it wasn't just any channel, it was The Sci-Fi Channel.

So, are there any other channels devoted to the sci-fi genre? If not, then why do they need branding at all? If there actually are competitors, then isn't it an honor enough to be considered the (original) Sci-Fi Channel? No other channels can call themselves "The Sci-Fi Channel", so that alone should make the station stand out among the other newer sci-fi genre channels with differentiating names.

I didn't know that the channel was just refered to as "Sci-Fi". That would be the only reason they would need to differentiate themselves from the genre itself. But a better solution would have been to add the word "Channel" back to the channel's name.

This reminds me of when "Kentucky Fried Chicken" became "KFC" to not refer to the word "fried" anymore (but of course they still fry most of their chicken). And "MTV" originally stood for "music television" but everyone knows they don't show much music on it, so the original meaning of "M" is lost on the current generation.

"Syfy" is stupid, and doesn't refer to channel's current supposed genre (sci-fi), in my mind. I expect that this change is pre-empting an eventual broadening of their programming to include completely non-genre material, since the made-up word "syfy" doesn't really refer to "science fiction". If they wanted branding for among channels in their genre, I think "The Sci-Fi Channel" is good and there is no need to change that.

I guess a simliar issue is why "The History Channel" sometimes refers to itself simply as "History". Thier website is even simply: History.com. But it is still "The History Channel" with a nickname or quick reference of "History". If it ever changes it's name to "Hystyree" I swear I will never watch TV again!

Also, in many places around the word, the word "coke" has become such a brand name that it is a general term for all soda. I still call all facial tissue "klennex" because of my upbringing. But those are the original Brand nicknames or names for those products. The Sci-Fi Channel already had the distintion of being "The" sci-fi channel, and now it is giving up that distiction. Bad move.

Of course, I don't watch the Sci-Fi channel anyway so does my opinion even matter? :cool:

Edited by Whill
typo

Part of their Rebranding is probably the fact that they are showing more and more non-SciFi material (e.g. WWE). As for the lack of "quality" programming... most stations have tons of crap with a few gems here and there... Partly because they are written for an audience that isn't "me" and partly because they are all fighting to get as many of our eyeballs as they can for the least amount spent which has gotten harder as the number of channels has gone up.

I have the channel but I don't watch it.

Part of their Rebranding is probably the fact that they are showing more and more non-SciFi material (e.g. WWE).

I wasn't aware of any specific programming, but I suspected as much.

As for the lack of "quality" programming... most stations have tons of crap with a few gems here and there... Partly because they are written for an audience that isn't "me" and partly because they are all fighting to get as many of our eyeballs as they can for the least amount spent which has gotten harder as the number of channels has gone up.

True, but I don't watch much TV so what do I know? If I had to pick a favorite channel it would probably be The History Channel, but even they have bad shows sometimes. I turn it on sometimes during lunch to watch while I eat, and the other day they had the history of sewers. No thanks.

True, but I don't watch much TV so what do I know? If I had to pick a favorite channel it would probably be The History Channel, but even they have bad shows sometimes. I turn it on sometimes during lunch to watch while I eat, and the other day they had the history of sewers. No thanks.

Sadly, I would probably watch "The History of Sewers." My dad is a civil engineer with a Master's Degree in Water/Waste-water Management.

I get more annoyed with the UFO-Monsterquest-Gangland type of programming that seems to be cropping up more and more on History.

Good discussion, btw. IMO, TV is such a wasteland with only a few oases of good programs. 200 Cable channels just makes the landscape bigger and the oases further apart.

The whole "SyFy" nonsense just seems silly. If they're trying to go from "Soda" to "Coke" there's no real point, it's practically the same thing. If they're trying to justify non-Sci-Fi programming in their lineup, why not just go whole-hog and call themselves "Zoom TV" or something equally ridiculous like, I dunno "Spike"? :rolleyes:

My vote, in order to capture the science fiction, the fantasy, the wrestling, the reality shows, and the bitterness of their fanbase over the production quality of their movies:

NerdRage

Imagine Better

My vote, in order to capture the science fiction, the fantasy, the wrestling, the reality shows, and the bitterness of their fanbase over the production quality of their movies:

NerdRage

Imagine Better

BTW, don't you mean NurdRaje, Ymagyn Bettur? :cool: haha.

Wrestling? Really? I have the channel but don't watch it, and now I finally know why. Wrestling? Ugh. No wonder Lucas gave the Star Wars cable license to Spike. ScyFy doesn't deserve to be The Science Fiction Channel anymore.

But then again, there really isn't that much quality sci-fi programming available...

Edited by Whill

Wait, you mean you expected a low budget niche channel to be able to make high quality movies? Wow... heheh

It's more the awfulness of the things that don't take a fortune to do. Casting. Script. Basic stuff. Some of their movies have halfway decent special effects, but the stories and the acting are horrible.

Remember, the SciFi Channel did Dune and Children of Dune as well as Earthsea. When they make the effort, they can do halfway decent stuff. It just appears that they can't be bothered to make the effort very often. Once every decade or so, seems like...

Regarding their quality of stuff, I agree with Dune and Children of Dune. I also enjoyed Tinman. There were just so many interesting bits and aspects to it that I did end up liking it. It is possible for them to do it, but for every Dune or Tinman we get, we end up with like twenty "Gryphon's". I have seen a preview for Alice, I am hoping it will be good. But we will need to wait and see.

And those 20 Gryphon's fill the time that 1 Tinman or Dune couldn't for the cost.

True, but then what about all the other stuff that has come before? For example, they never show any Farscape reruns from what I can tell. Yet they made the show and put it on. What about doing Anime film festivals again? There must be more options. What about a low key Conan inspired series? There are definitely good unknown actors out there who would work for little just for the chance. Find some good unknown writers and then work on churning out a low budget show with limited flash magic so that the cheap CGI isn't so obvious.