mbentley

Gadget Building Questions/Examples?

12 posts in this topic

I decided to move this to it's own thread. Here is my first attempt at a gadget. It's a lightning gun that does Non-Lethal damage:

Lightning Gun

Toughness: 2D (4 Points)

Weapon Damage: 0

Range:

Radius: 0 (0 Points)

Ammunition: 10 Shots (-8 Points)

Burst Modifier: Single Shot (0 Points)

Powers:

Lightning Blast 8D (4 Points Per Rank) (16 Points)

- Non-Lethal(-2 Per Rank)

Obvious (-3 Points)

Total: 20 - 11 = 9 x 50% = 5 Points

The math and the format look correct.

That’s a legit gadget

How long did it take you to build? Five, ten minutes?

Once you know the few steps to take to build a gadget/artifact its very easy and straight forward. Maybe what’s throwing you off is that it’s very simple with very few exceptions. I designed a system that tries to fit with what I consider the basic precepts of the D6 system. The systems have to be quick and fairly non-complicated.

Its like a banana and raisin bread sandwich; its very simple but creation but its so good;)

Yeah it only took me a few minutes. I guess I was mostly tripping myself up, expecting it to be more complicated than it was. If that makes sense.

I didn't buy Damage normally because I wanted it to be a non-lethal weapon. I was kind of modeling it after the stun weapon from the new series Warehouse 13. Shoots a blast of lightning that stuns the target.

If I come across any more questions I'll yell. :D Probably post a few more quick gadget ideas just to make sure I have the basics over the next day or so.

Here is a question... Say I wanted to design an amulet that has a few different powers, say it can fire an energy blast along with boosting an attribute or allow the person to fly or something. Would that fall into Tools & Gear or be considered a Weapon since it causes damage?

Edited to add: Thought of something else. How would you design something like Captain America's shield? It'd still fall under the gadget rules, but it just escapes me exactly.

Edited by mbentley

Here is a question... Say I wanted to design an amulet that has a few different powers, say it can fire an energy blast along with boosting an attribute or allow the person to fly or something. Would that fall into Tools & Gear or be considered a Weapon since it causes damage?

Like the Eye of Agamotto?

I would make it a tool and gear since it seems like it would be very handy outside of combat.

Edited to add: Thought of something else. How would you design something like Captain America's shield? It'd still fall under the gadget rules, but it just escapes me exactly.

Its gear or armor with a built in damage code and a few other powers.

Thats what I thought, but figured I'd ask and get some answers from the man himself. :D

With 0 Range its more like a Tazer gun though.

I should have listed the range from the Lightning Blast power, since thats where the damage was coming from also.

Sorry about the thread necro but I have a question or two. I'm attempting to learn how to build gadgets and was wondering if I was doing it correctly. I was experimenting on how to make a power blast gauntlet and made it two different ways. The first one as a straight weapon gadget and the second one as a gadget with a power. Can anyone tell me if I did them correctly and why did I come out with such a point difference between the two.

Power Blast Gauntlet (as a weapon)

Toughness: 5D (10 points)

Weapon damage : 5d6 (15 points)

Range : 10/20/30 (10 points)

Radius: 0 (0 points)

Burst Modifier: Single shot (0 points)

Ammo: 30 shots (-4 points)

Obvious (-3 points)

Temperamental 1R (-5 points)

Total: 35-12=23x.5=12

Or

Power Blast Gauntlet (as a gadget with a power)

Toughness 5D (10 points)

Weapon damage : See power

Range: See power

Radius: 0 (0 points)

Ammo: 30 shots (-4 points)

Powers:

Energy blast 5D (3 points per rank)(15)

Range 38/76/114 (see power)(0 points)

Obvious (-3 points)

Temperamental 1R (-5 points)

Total: 25-12=13x.5=7

Sorry about the thread necro...

Welcome Metroknight! And don't worry about posting in an old thread. Maybe I'm just the forum kook but I enjoy when someone bumps an old thread for some reason.

As far as the content of your post, Jerry is pretty busy right now with the publication of a new game book, but I'm sure he or someone else will reply eventually.

Thank you Whill for replying. I'm trying to understand the mechanics of the gadget section. It is confusing to me and was just needing help. I'm starting up a superhero play by post in my forum and needed clarification on how to build gadgets. I read the lightning gun and understood it but the gadget weapons seems to be giving me a fits.

Fairly late to the game but better late than never.:)

What can I do to help you understand the rules?