D6 Online 3.0
rwallace

Web site software open source?

As I understand it, the website for OpenD6 will include a content management system and online document processing similar in functionality to Google Documents, all written from scratch.

This is obviously a substantial software engineering project, and indeed will represent an intellectual property base greater in scope than the D6 game system itself.

Is there any possibility of releasing this software as open source?

As I understand it, the website for OpenD6 will include a content management system and online document processing similar in functionality to Google Documents, all written from scratch.

This is obviously a substantial software engineering project, and indeed will represent an intellectual property base greater in scope than the D6 game system itself.

Is there any possibility of releasing this software as open source?

I don't know about that yet. It's possible, but I cannot commit to that at this time.

A few things...

First, it's unlikely that releasing OpenD6 would be terribly useful, as it is a very specific system tailored to the needs/problems that the OpenD6 project presented.

Second, at the very least, the source code won't be publicly released at launch - as there are certain things that should be kept under wraps until it has been thoroughly tested and beaten up by users to ensure data integrity/security/all those wonderful things.

Third, there are plans to develop and release an open source OpenD6 SDK (software developer's kit) for creating custom themes. Those themes would then be submitted to the OpenD6 software people (probably me) for approval, after which the theme would be made available for all to use. I also hope to develop and release a public API so that third party software can be developed for OpenD6.

In short, it's just too early to say either way. It wasn't designed as an open source project, so some things are designed to be kept private. That said, I know that both Eric and I are supporters of open source software... so I'm sure it will be at least considered.

Is the website going to be cross-platform friendly? I would hate for it to be MS technology orientated and I wont be able to use it =).

Yes, of course.

The official term is "multi-browser support".

It is being tested (and works) in all the latest browsers: IE8, FireFox 3, Chrome, Opera 9, and Safari 4

A few things...

First, it's unlikely that releasing OpenD6 would be terribly useful, as it is a very specific system tailored to the needs/problems that the OpenD6 project presented.

Second, at the very least, the source code won't be publicly released at launch - as there are certain things that should be kept under wraps until it has been thoroughly tested and beaten up by users to ensure data integrity/security/all those wonderful things.

Third, there are plans to develop and release an open source OpenD6 SDK (software developer's kit) for creating custom themes. Those themes would then be submitted to the OpenD6 software people (probably me) for approval, after which the theme would be made available for all to use. I also hope to develop and release a public API so that third party software can be developed for OpenD6.

In short, it's just too early to say either way. It wasn't designed as an open source project, so some things are designed to be kept private. That said, I know that both Eric and I are supporters of open source software... so I'm sure it will be at least considered.

XML format for Open Content as data would go a long way towards supporting third party software under the OGL if nothing else.