D6 Online 3.0

Favorite Star Wars film?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Star Wars film?

• I: The Phantom Menace
    • II: Attack of the Clones
    • III: Revenge of the Sith
    • IV: A New Hope (2004 DVD version)
    • V: The Empire Strikes Back (2004 DVD version)
    • VI: Return of the Jedi (2004 DVD version)
    • Star Wars (original version)
    • The Empire Strikes Back (original version)
    • Return of the Jedi (original version)
    • Don't make me choose! (please explain your tie)

I know that a lot of people have strong feelings about the Star Wars films, for and against. I have come to accept that I am a minority among a lot of he fans I run into on the internet, especially fans my own age, in that I actually like the prequels. But it was inevitable that this topic would come up here sooner or later, so I thought, what the hell.

Everyone's opinion is respected. If you absolutely despise a movie or three, that's ok. But let's please try to not let this thread degenerate into negativity, anger and hatred (the Dark Side).\sw\ That being said, May the Force be with us...

Vote on your favorite, but please also rank the six films from favorite to least, best to worst, top to bottom. Thanks.

I was one of those fans that wouldn't even rank favorites until after the the saga was complete, maybe in 2006.

1. A New Hope

2. The Phantom Menace

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. Return of the Jedi

5. The Empire Strikes Back

6. Attack of the Clones

For the classic trilogy, I prefer the 2004 DVD versions for all three films.

Edited by Whill

first place is a tie between a new hope, the empire and return

second place is a tie between the "new" dvd releases of them

third place, revange of the sith

forth attack of he clones

and lastly the phanom menace

1. Revenge of the Sith

2. A New Hope

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Empire Strikes Back & Attack of the Clones

5. Phantom Menance

Whill I'm with you on being in the minority of having enjoyed the prequel trilogy.

I don't know why you separated the original version of the first trilogy from the special edition, since our preferences on that really seems like a different topic. I voted for the original Empire, because the special edition fixed up the special effects but didn't really add anything to the story, so why fix something that wasn't broken. Here's how I'd rank the seven movies:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Attack of the Clones

4. Return of the Jedi

5. The Phantom Menace

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Clone Wars (it should be a part of the canon, because it was a feature release, and is a fair example of how far the franchise has fallen.)

Since I never ranked the movies, I will. And I'll date myself.

First Place: The Empire Strikes Back (original)

Close 2nd: Star Wars (original...wasn't called "A New Hope")

3rd Place: Return of the Jedi (believe it or not, the 2004 version)

4th Place: Attack of the Clones (lesser of the three evils, IMO)

5th Place: Revenge of the Sith (I felt it too dark)

Last Place: The Phantom Menace (*yawn*)

Re-posted Grimace's reply from the thread that this thread was incorrect linking to.

I don't know why you separated the original version of the first trilogy from the special edition, since our preferences on that really seems like a different topic.

I made the original and the DVD versions of the classic trilogy seperate choices so people could clarify which one they prefer in their ranking. Yes, we could make a different thread as discussion which version is your favorite, but why not kill too mynocks with one blaster shot here? Your answer about TESB works in this thread.

Also, a bit of clarification. The 2004 DVD versions are not the "special editions". The Special Editions were the 1997 theatrical/VHS re-releases, and they are a middle version that is not represented here. In my experiences within Star Wars fandom since 2004, people are usually either on one end (no revisions) or the other (most recent revision). FYI.

7. Clone Wars (it should be a part of the canon, because it was a feature release, and is a fair example of how far the franchise has fallen.)

The Clone Wars "feature" was just the first 3 episodes of the new animated TV series edited together for a theatrical release. George Lucas was not planning on doing that until he saw them, thought it was better than he imagined it would be, and said, Why not release them in the theater just for the hell of it?

As far as canon, it is not G-canon (the films). It is T-canon, recent television continuity that is above all the rest of the Expanded Universe publishing continuity but still below the real films.

Besides canon, my estimated worth of the Clone Wars "movie" is exactly why it should not be counted a movie. Besides, if you did, then it would have to be numbered as "Episode II.V" and that would just be silly. :)

Edited by Whill
?

I thought the Clone Wars feature rocked

Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was ok overall. The soundtrack that they released of the music in the feature is defintely inspired by the classic Williams music but takes it in a new direction. I love it. I loved the animation of inanimate objects likes the vehicles and ships. I don't care for the exagerrated, unrealistic faces in the animation of the characters. But putting appearances aside, there is one important story element that to me contradicts film canon so I can't accept this story as a part of my Star Wars universe (Anakin returning to the surface of Tatooine after his mother died in AotC).

You mean theres more?

There is 30-minute animated series on cable. The feature that you saw was actually just the first 3-episodes (3-part story) of the new TV series, edited together. The movie canon indicates that for a Jedi Knight to attain the rank of Jedi Master, you have to have successfully trained at least one padawan to knighthood. Since Anakin whined about being put on the council but not made a master in RotS, I think that his padawan will never become a Jedi Knight. So it is likely she will leave the Jedi order by (1.) choice, (2.) being kicked out, or (3.) death. So the cartoon feature's story had to continue to explain what happens to her before the events of RotS take place.

My selection will mimic many others already found here...

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars (A New Hope)

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Attack of the Clones

5. Ice Pirates

6. The Phantom Menace

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. Clone Wars cartoon (excluding episodes involving JarJar Binks)

9. Star Wars Droids/Ewoks Adventure Hour

10. Solar Babies

11. Ewoks: Battle for Endor

12 - 18. Anything else ever put to video involving Star Wars in any form

19. is a tie for all other media produced

20. Star Wars Holiday Special

I'm honestly not a big fan of Star Wars. I loved the RPG, and I loved the books. But the movies were pretty hokey, and not in a good way. I know I'm in the minority though.

I'm honestly not a big fan of Star Wars. I loved the RPG, and I loved the books.

Fascinating. I've never met someone that liked the RPG and not at least some of the movies. And who also likes the novels more than the movies? I would rate the three like this:

1. Films

2. WEG RPG

3. Novels

Well, for me this is the order -

1. A New Hope

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. Phantom Menace

6. Attack of the Clones / Holiday Special with Bea Arthur (tie)

To my mind, the wonder of A New Hope was that the universe was new and exciting, and even though by 1977 I was familiar with some of the inspirations (like Asimov's Foundation trilogy, with its Hyperspace and Blasters) so I didn't think of it as wholly original like some of the reviews did, at least it was never before put on screen. When TESB came along, everything was turned on its head on that gantry in Cloud City. I was absolutely stoked to see Revenge of the Jedi, then almost immediately renamed to Return of the Jedi, and while there were a few down moments (muppets outside Jabba's palace eating rats and burping, Ewoks defeating a legion of the Empires best troops), it made up for it with the sheer malicious glee of the Emperor, and the redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

Overall the next trilogy was a disappointment to me, although both Liam Neeson and Ewan MacGregor had a chance to shine, and Ray Park was excellent as Darth Maul. It felt too forced, pardon the pun. Like Lucas had a checklist of questions to answer from the original trilogy. My issue there is that the original brought up things and left them for your imagination to fill in - the Clone Wars, the Spice Mines of Kessel, Krayt Dragons, bullseying Womp Rats in the T-16 back home, and a load of other things that just implied the presence of even more wonders you didn't see for every one on the screen. The new trilogy, although the effects to do the story were far superior, relied on them too heavily, I think. I know there's an axiom in the industry of "show, don't tell" but I think having the ability to show everything somehow shortchanged the imagination of the viewer. After the second trilogy, I couldn't see the likelihood of an expanded universe series of novels like the first trilogy produced. There didn't seem to be any mysteries left to delve into. The Force was made less grand, I felt, because of the midichlorians. The Empire less grand for having only been around 18 years. Anakin less heroic for having followed him through the Clone Wars and seen that he wasn't as impressive as we may have imagined him to be.

Don't get me wrong - I still love Star Wars. I tune into The Clone Wars every now and then to get a fix, and look forward to the rumored TV series. But I hope that there's more of a sense of wonder to it. More heroics against overwhelming odds. More "Many Bothans died" or "We'll be sent to the Spice Mines of Kessel or smashed into who knows what!" dialogue to hint at this vast galaxy of potential.

While I wasn't in love with the more recent trilogy, I never felt the same way about Star Wars as I do about Star Trek. I was a fan of the original series and the movies, a fan of Next Generation, I liked the beginnings of Deep Space Nine... and then they lost me. They went off to Voyager and Enterprise and, like a role-playing game besieged by munchkinism, they had to keep upping the ante to reflect that this new alien species kicked the Borg in the butt, and this new alien species is waging a war across time, and eventually it got tired. Bland, for all its attempts to reignite the fire it once had. I don't think Star Wars ever did that. But I had higher hopes for the new trilogy, and after James Earl Jones got to bellow "Noooooooooo!" like a whiny Emo teen in power armor, it just sort of failed the test of great Star Wars. It did tell the story, though. More importantly, I still watch them on Spike whenever they run them (well, except for Attack of the Clones).

I hope that Lucas might get fired up to tell more, and not rely overmuch on technology to tell his stories. Let the actors act and the scenery be scenery. I still cling to A New Hope because it was so far beyond what had come before. With James Cameron raising the bar with "Avatar" I'm looking forward to George Lucas picking up that gauntlet.

So... yeah. That's my $1.50. I think I passed two cents a while back...

Edited by Lee Torres

1. A New Hope

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. Phantom Menace

6. Attack of the Clones / Holiday Special with Bea Arthur (tie)

Thanks, Lee! There's no invalid answser, but you went above and beyond just an answer and explained your rankings. Awesome!

Overall the next trilogy was a disappointment to me, although both Liam Neeson and Ewan MacGregor had a chance to shine, and Ray Park was excellent as Darth Maul. It felt too forced, pardon the pun. Like Lucas had a checklist of questions to answer from the original trilogy.

Check. :cool: I agree about the checklist, but not everything got checked off of my checklist.

My issue there is that the original brought up things and left them for your imagination to fill in - the Clone Wars, the Spice Mines of Kessel, Krayt Dragons, bullseying Womp Rats in the T-16 back home, and a load of other things that just implied the presence of even more wonders you didn't see for every one on the screen.

The Clone Wars are still mostly open to imagination. The movie canon only shows the very beginning and the very end of the Clone Wars. There's three years in between.

The new trilogy, although the effects to do the story were far superior, relied on them too heavily, I think. I know there's an axiom in the industry of "show, don't tell" but I think having the ability to show everything somehow shortchanged the imagination of the viewer.

Wow, I have a totally different experience, but I am sorry that was yours. The prequels (including even AotC) more than doubled the stimulation of my imagination of the Star Wars universe. So many new planets and things. The superior effects only enabled me imagine things more about the world offscreen. More film elements raise more questions and spark more imagination to me. The prequels opened up more potential for me, and made my Star Wars galaxy a lot bigger.

What was the origin of the Sith and their antagonism of the Jedi Order? What made the Jedi believe that the Sith had become exinct a millenium ago and how did the Sith survive in the shadows? What happened a 1000 years ago that lead to a millenium of peace in the Republic? What was the Trade Federation? What was the background of the galactic economics that lead to the taxation of trade routes being in dispute? What were the baseless accusations of corruption that mired Supreme Chancellor Valorum? Why did Valorum have to dispatch the Jedi to Naboo "secretly"?

How did Qui-Gon learn to maintain his identity after death, and why did it take 10 years before he was able to begin communication with Anakin and Yoda? What's the mystery of Master Sifo-Dyas (who ordered the clone army then died)? How had the Sith Master converted Dooku to the Dark Side? Why did the Sand People capture Anakin's mom and what were they doing with her for a month?

What were classic trilogy characters such as Moff Tarkin, Mon Mothma and Chewbacca doing during the prequel time period? What was this "business on Cato Neimoidia" that Obi-Wan spoke of? What happened in the first half of the Battle of Coruscant? Why weren't Obi-Wan and Anakin there at the beginning, and where were they coming from when they flew into the battle? How did General Grevious get his cough? How did the Jedi Purge begin beyond the last prequel? How did Vader and Tarkin first become rivals and allies? How and why did the Wookies of Kashyyyk become enslaved to the Empire, and for what purpose? How did Obi-Wan find out that Anakin/Vader had survived their battle? Why did Obi-Wan keep Luke on Tatooine with Anakin's step-family anyway? How did "Ben" Kenobi gain a reputation for being a crazy old wizard?

Of course, I recognize that if someone doesn't care for the prequels then they may not care to know or consider the answers to these questions.

After the second trilogy, I couldn't see the likelihood of an expanded universe series of novels like the first trilogy produced. There didn't seem to be any mysteries left to delve into.

Most of the above questions I had from watching the prequel films were dealt with in a few well-written novels below. Some of the prequel-era novels were rubbish, but I don't hold that against the few good ones that truly support the films...

Path of Destruction: A Novel of the Old Republic (Darth Bane)

1000 years before the Star Wars films take place, a man realizes his destiny by joining the old Sith Order, destroying it, and forging a new one.

Cloak of Deception

In the months leading up to The Phantom Menace, this novel explores economic and political intrigues of a terrorist organization, the Trade Federation, Chancellor Valorum, Lt. Governor Tarkin, Senator Palpatine and the Sith, with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan as the main protagonists.

Shadow Hunter: Darth Maul

The immediate prequel to The Phantom Menace, this action-packed thriller features some doomed protagonists being hunted down by Darth Maul in the underbelly of Coruscant, but still takes time to expound upon Jedi and Sith philosophies on its way to showing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan preparing to journey to Naboo to negotiate a trade dispute.

Labyrinth of Evil

Near the end of the Clone Wars, this novel focuses on the Jedi's hunt for Darth Sidious, and along the way it resolves all of the mysteries of Attack of the Clones that Revenge of the Sith does not address. And the final third of the novel is the thrilling first half of epic Battle of Coruscant.

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

In the aftermath of the prequel trilogy, this novel is set during the rise of the Dark Times of the New Order. It's partially the story of Vader adjusting to his new machine-body and his new role as Palpatine's enforcer, dispensing Palpatine's politcal enemies as well as truly beginning the Jedi Purge. The protagonists include Jedi who survived Order 66 and Chewbacca. The novel's main story ends with the subjugation of Kashyyyk to create a slave force to work on the construction of the Death Star, and the epilogue features Obi-Wan (and the force ghost of his old master) on Tatooine.

These novels all enhanced and improved my appreciate of the prequel films. Cloak of Deception, Labyrinth of Evil and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader were the best and all written by James Luceno.

Anakin less heroic for having followed him through the Clone Wars and seen that he wasn't as impressive as we may have imagined him to be.

There's no doubt you have an incredible imagination, Lee. I thought Anakin was portrayed as a "cunning warrior" of the Clone Wars not only by his actions in the rescue of Palpatine but also by dialogue in RotS. He was referred to as the "hero with no fear" (an obviously ironic title considering that his fear of loss is what lead him down the path of the Dark Side). Anakin is even more heroic than I had imagined him to be (and far more tragic than I imaginied too).

Don't get me wrong - I still love Star Wars... That's my $1.50. I think I passed two cents a while back...

Thanks again for sharing and elucidating.

Edited by Whill
latin plurality (I should know better)

I have to say that I agree a lot more with Lee in my perceptions of Star Wars than I do with you, Whill.

I guess time will tell how much the prequels stirred people's imaginations regarding Star Wars. If, during this coming lag of Star Wars RPG material, we see a bunch of sites sprouting up with new material, new ideas, or "holding the torch" for the Saga Edition Star Wars (that so heavily focuses on the prequels) then we'll know that there's a whole lot of people out there that feel there's so much more to be expanded upon in the prequels. We know there were/are sites like that for the original trilogy, so I think there's little doubt of how those captured the public's imagination.

As for my ranking of the movies:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars

3. Return of the Jedi

4. (do I have to rate these?) Attack of the Clones / Ewoks: Battle for Endor

5. Phantom Menace

6. Revenge of the Sith

In my opinion A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are neck and neck - I think as far as the story goes, that TESB is a better film, but ANH was the foundation of TESB, and I think without ANH to build on, TESB would have been weaker than it was. Oddly though, the same does not hold true of Alien/Aliens for me. While I liked Alien well enough, I thought Aliens was totally superior to the original. Until Avatar came along, in fact, and box office receipts for Titanic notwithstanding, I felt Aliens was the best thing Cameron had ever done...

Edited by Lee Torres

For me A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are neck and neck - I think as far as the story goes, that TESB is a better film, but ANH was the foundation of TESB, and I think without ANH to build on, TESB would have been weaker than it was.

I agree completely. I just didn't feel right putting both Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars on the #1 slot. In addition to the reason you mentioned, and for the fact that Star Wars was such a ground breaker, it was a tough call. But all in all, and going way back in my mind to how I felt when I saw both of them on opening night, I think Empire Strikes Back just slightly edges Star Wars.

Ask me this tomorrow, and I might give a different answer. For the moment, I think I'd rank the main features:

1. A New Hope/Return of the Jedi (tie)

3. Empire Strikes Back

4. Attack of the Clones

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. Phantom Menace

It'd be hard not to put the original at #1, since it holds up so well on its own and started the whole deal. Jedi, though, was the first one I saw in the theater, so it has some extra sentimental value. Also, since I was pretty young at the time and didn't have any notions of what Episode VI had to live up to, the muppets were fine by me. Loved 'em, in fact. As I've aged, I've also come to appreciate the culmination of the Luke/Vader struggle more. I can acknowledge that Empire is probably the strongest film of the original trilogy; it just doesn't have the same place in my heart at the moment.

I don't hate the prequels, and I'm sure that some of my ranking the originals first is simply based on their being what I grew up with. (What's the saying? "The Golden Age of science fiction is 12"?) I think I'm a bit in Lee's camp, though, in that they just didn't feel as magical to me. I do research in microbiology, with an emphasis on symbiosis. Midichlorians should be right up my alley. But...I'd really rather just ignore them. Honestly, they're a pretty big sticking point in my mind. Overall (again, keeping in mind the kid vs. adult while seeing for the first time thing), the originals just feel more like fun fantasy adventure, while I-III got kind of mired in politics and explanations.

Of the prequels, Attack wins based on the Yoda lightsaber battle alone. I could probably put Revenge there, too. It was solid. TPM was the weakest, I think, although it may only seem that way because it was the film that had to shift me from "Old SW" to "New SW" mode.

I've really enjoyed reading the responses here, by the way. Nice thread!

Edited by retriever
...missed a "the"...

How did General Grevious get his cough?

This one has two explanations depending on source. You see the Battle of Coruscant begin in the Cartoon Network Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Season 2. The end of the final episode has Grievous capturing Palpatine and Mace Windu uses the Force to crush something inside of him as he's taking off from the planet (this scene leads straight into Ep III's opening). The second explantion, which differs from the cartoon, was given on the History Channel's "The Technology of Star Wars", in which one of the ILM guests states that you can think of Grievous as a kind of Beta for what will be used to make Darth Vader. He's flawed and not put together all that well, so he limps and coughs... Of course this statement is totally at odds with all the hype that LucasArts put out about Grievous being such a bad*** Jedi killer...

How did General Grevious get his cough?

This one has two explanations depending on source. You see the Battle of Coruscant begin in the Cartoon Network Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Season 2. The end of the final episode has Grievous capturing Palpatine and Mace Windu uses the Force to crush something inside of him as he's taking off from the planet (this scene leads straight into Ep III's opening). The second explantion, which differs from the cartoon, was given on the History Channel's "The Technology of Star Wars", in which one of the ILM guests states that you can think of Grievous as a kind of Beta for what will be used to make Darth Vader. He's flawed and not put together all that well, so he limps and coughs... Of course this statement is totally at odds with all the hype that LucasArts put out about Grievous being such a bad*** Jedi killer...

I do love those History Channel Star Wars specials.

Labyrinth of Evil

Near the end of the Clone Wars, this novel focuses on the Jedi's hunt for Darth Sidious, and along the way it resolves all of the mysteries of Attack of the Clones that Revenge of the Sith does not address. And the final third of the novel is the thrilling first half of epic Battle of Coruscant.

There's yet another explanation. The official "Revenge of the Sith prologue" novel Labyrinth of Evil features another version of the "kidnapping" of Chancellor Palpatine and I remember it was my favorite version. IIRC, it still involved Mace Windu but the cough was instead the result of an exciting lightsaber duel Grevious and Windu had on top of a maglev metro train speeding through Coruscant. The Clone Wars TV version was based on an earlier draft of the novel. Even though the novel came out first, the TV episode was already too far in production to change. Since the Clone Wars TV version of events was originally supposed to be based on the novel (and I also like the final novel version better anyway), I accept the novel's version of the first half of the Battle of Coruscant as my personal canon. Officially, it has not yet been declared which version is "canon'. I guess there could concievably be yet another version at the end of the current Clone Wars series and perhaps that's what they are waiting for.

Ok, I held off replying to this thread, but no longer...

First, my ratings

1. (Tied) A New Hope/Empire Strikes Back

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. The Battle for Endor

6. Caravan of Courage

7. Attack of the Clones

8. The Phantom Menace

9. Holiday Special

Secondly,

In response to Whill's post about the "mystery" of Star Wars, you actually pointed out why I really dislike what Lucas did with Star Wars... he sold out.

Sure, you could argue that he sold out in 1977. And I'd agree with you... to a point. When Lucas made the Holiday Special, that was him selling out to the Star Wars mania bigtime. That piece of work was pure merchandising and pure schlock. People were hungry for more Star Wars and Lucas gave it to them. However, I think afterwards Lucas realized it was crap and took a tighter hold of his property and licensed with better quality in mind.

Fast forward to 1997... Lucas has Indiana Jones, the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, etc. But he needs a new cash infusion to fund his other projects. He hasn't looked at his old cash cow in a while... Star Wars. Ok, I'll license some novels to Timothy Zahn to test the waters... "Oh wow.. there's still a lot of Star Wars interest out there. Let's do some more Star Wars." he says.

Open the licensing floodgates... Trilogy Special Edition, more novels, RPG, comics, video games, Prequels, etc.

With varying degrees of quality... In other words, sell out.

Whill, yes, I loved a lot of the mystery of stuff happening "offscreen" or mentioned only vaguely in dialogue. "Many Bothans died to bring us this information." But Lucas left it alone, it was up to the viewer to decide what really happened.

No mystery anymore... in fact, Lucas will SELL you the answer to the mystery if you buy the books, comics, video games, etc... and as proof, just look at the list of stuff you linked. No, it isn't left up to the viewer to decide how Qui-Gon became a blue glowy... now some schlock author can write up a story and SELL you HIS idea.

PS - Did you know that... "Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire was a multimedia project created by Lucasfilm Ltd. in 1996. The original idea was to create an interquel, a story set between the movies The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (a time no Star Wars novel had explored before), and to explore all commercial possibilities of a full motion picture release, without actually making the film. The venture paved the way for the theatrical release of the Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition in the following year, and the later releases of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy."

(my bold emphasis added)

I liked it better when some things were left to the imagination, pre-1997.

I do love those History Channel Star Wars specials.

There's yet another explanation. The official "Revenge of the Sith prologue" novel Labyrinth of Evil features another version of the "kidnapping" of Chancellor Palpatine and I remember it was my favorite version. IIRC, it still involved Mace Windu but the cough was instead the result of an exciting lightsaber duel Grevious and Windu had on top of a maglev metro train speeding through Coruscant. The Clone Wars TV version was based on an earlier draft of the novel. Even though the novel came out first, the TV episode was already too far in production to change. Since the Clone Wars TV version of events was originally supposed to be based on the novel (and I also like the final novel version better anyway), I accept the novel's version of the first half of the Battle of Coruscant as my personal canon. Officially, it has not yet been declared which version is "canon'. I guess there could concievably be yet another version at the end of the current Clone Wars series and perhaps that's what they are waiting for.

Well, now we have another version of Grievous as the current 3D show has him coughing and wheezing. Yet this series is supposed to take place prior to the Battle of Coruscant.