Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wakshaani

The out Of Character Meta-Thread

145 posts in this topic

No other trhead really feels right for chatting about the game itself, so, moving my OOC comments off to one of their own.

Marketplace! 3327 is in the building! Batten down the hatches, boys, it's go time.

(Good thing, too! I was just about to toss a bridge at Japan, figuring that he wasn't here. Bullet-dodging Gaunt Man!)

Marketplace! 3327 is in the building! Batten down the hatches, boys, it's go time.

Is he, or is that just what he wants you to think? :confused:

I've been trying to refrain from commenting on the game, since I know what's going on all around the world and I don't want to give anything away. But it's hard!! I think about this game every day, and wish there were some things that I could change, but I'm determined to push through with the rules we decided before the game began, rather than mess with things now that the excrement has hit the air conditioning.

I'm also suffering from a sort of gamemaster syndrome, where I realize that I created a game that I want to play, but now I can only watch.

I know, I know. The game itself is a ton of fun, and we've barely even *started* yet. I figure there's about two more months of growth opportunity, by and large, before the resistance gets *really* fierce, and, from there, well... We're the bad guys, and story structure state sthat bad guys eventually lose.

But, by golly, it'll be a blast going out. :D

Yes, I love this game already. I spent the last 3 days figuring out my next moves. And I changed it time and again. Google Earth is the best playboard any game can have. In addition I am reading lots of books about german myths now that rested on my shelves for years. And I am not talking about the fun re-inventing Aysle, a realm that never really worked in my Torg campaigns. I always had the feeling it could be more interesting and I have the feeling I am on the right track - maybe.

I can understand the gamesmaster syndrome. It's fun to be able to see everything that's going on, but it takes some of the mystery out.

Separately, since it's Tesla's birthday today did anyone else notice the number of the hotel room he died in?

Coincidence? :cool:

Yes, I love this game already. I spent the last 3 days figuring out my next moves. And I changed it time and again. Google Earth is the best playboard any game can have. In addition I am reading lots of books about german myths now that rested on my shelves for years. And I am not talking about the fun re-inventing Aysle, a realm that never really worked in my Torg campaigns. I always had the feeling it could be more interesting and I have the feeling I am on the right track - maybe.

Oy, mythos! I've been having to research all kinds of stuff, and I'm only on Invasion #1 of, like, seven. There's soon to be WAY too many Orroshian balls in the air. (But, you know, what else am I gonna do with all of these Possibility Units? Woo, windfalls!)

I'm also suffering from a sort of gamemaster syndrome, where I realize that I created a game that I want to play, but now I can only watch.

I know what you mean, I'm certainly enjoying the game so far, though to be honest I'm dissapointed with the amount I've been posting. I think I can definetely squeeze in more stories than I have been, I'm just going to have to work harder...

I can say that even as a bystander this is great fun. The entries are better then any of the official fiction and I find myself refreshing the thread pretty often to look out for new ones and check the map again.

Aw man, there are some *dang* good writers in this bunch. I'm gonna have to really step upmy game to stay in their league.

From a tactical standpoint, the only one smaller than me's 3327, and he's not even *landed* yet. I think teh Cyberpapacy was bigger after turn *one* than I've yet been. Putt putt putt, the Gaunt Man's sluggishly slow. (But still on my initial itenerary, so, you know... there's that!)

Don't rely on the map when gauging 3327's power. Don't forget he opted for hidden stelae in exchange for only receiving 75% of the Poss. I am sure his realm has at least the size of the Cyberpapacy.

Aw man, there are some *dang* good writers in this bunch. I'm gonna have to really step upmy game to stay in their league.

From a tactical standpoint, the only one smaller than me's 3327, and he's not even *landed* yet. I think teh Cyberpapacy was bigger after turn *one* than I've yet been. Putt putt putt, the Gaunt Man's sluggishly slow. (But still on my initial itenerary, so, you know... there's that!)

Well I hope I get counted among that list ;).

You may be growing slower but you also have a different strategy than the other High Lords don't you? I'll stick with the blitzkrieg, it seems to be working for me so far.

What impresses me about the contributions so far is the high quality of writing and the thought that must have gone into their creation, and also that each thread's writing is distinct in a way that really emphasizes the flavour of the reality that it's describing. For example, the Orrorsh thread is gothic and creepy, while the Star Sphere thread is very in the vein of classic space opera. They're a lot of fun to read, and I've been trying to keep up by posting to the Core Earth thread in what I think would be according to that reality. Like it's the "reality" reality.

Does anyone object to other people posting on their reality's thread? Naturally creative control of each reality is in the hands of its High Lord, but I think it might be fun to let the other players post in different realities when they have interests in other realms. Specifically, this week there's a large group of Storm Knights in a city that's been invaded, and I don't know what's going to happen next because I'm away from my dice right now. It could go either way, and when the chips fall I would like to share the story with everyone on the thread of the reality that's just crashed around them. So far I've been hiding the activities of the Storm Knights in obscure references, but I think it's time for them to come out and play.

Does anyone object to other people posting on their reality's thread? Naturally creative control of each reality is in the hands of its High Lord, but I think it might be fun to let the other players post in different realities when they have interests in other realms.

No problem. This could only increase the fun and the ahm... possibilities in lack of a better word.

Specifically, this week there's a large group of Storm Knights in a city that's been invaded, and I don't know what's going to happen next because I'm away from my dice right now. It could go either way, and when the chips fall I would like to share the story with everyone on the thread of the reality that's just crashed around them. So far I've been hiding the activities of the Storm Knights in obscure references, but I think it's time for them to come out and play.

A large group? I am getting afraid now...or greedy.

Does anyone object to other people posting on their reality's thread? Naturally creative control of each reality is in the hands of its High Lord, but I think it might be fun to let the other players post in different realities when they have interests in other realms.

Sure, it's always interesting to see what other people think and how they intrepret one's own ideas. Plus this will surely make for some interesting interactions between realms and High Lords.

Sure, I don't mind people posting wherever. Sounds like a good idea, for genre variety too.

Pesky stormers. Still, they are few and don't stand a chance.

Does anyone object to other people posting on their reality's thread? Naturally creative control of each reality is in the hands of its High Lord, but I think it might be fun to let the other players post in different realities when they have interests in other realms. Specifically, this week there's a large group of Storm Knights in a city that's been invaded, and I don't know what's going to happen next because I'm away from my dice right now. It could go either way, and when the chips fall I would like to share the story with everyone on the thread of the reality that's just crashed around them. So far I've been hiding the activities of the Storm Knights in obscure references, but I think it's time for them to come out and play.

The black woman with a torch of light? Heading South?

Yeah, I don't know where they're going, but it ain't gonna be pretty when they get there.

Gleep!

As an aside, every time I glance at the Core Earthmap, I see Europe and I just *cringe*. Lord a-mercy, that looks bad.

The black woman with a torch of light? Heading South? Yeah, I don't know where they're going, but it ain't gonna be pretty when they get there. Gleep!

I counted four stormers from these reports. Earth is mass-producing them. Btw the hints are giving me headaches. I count 5 places they could refer to. And I thought playing High Lords would present no riddles. I love this, give us more please. The format of these hints presented as guestbook entries is great too. I hope the internet will stay on Core Earth for a long time.

As an aside, every time I glance at the Core Earthmap, I see Europe and I just *cringe*. Lord a-mercy, that looks bad.

I still feel comfortable there. But it becomes increasingly difficult observing my realm on Google Earth. The placemarks are getting in the way. They are great to gauge the extent of the other realms but now they get in the way for observing the realms. I even misinterpreted the polish army for a Living Land intrusion at first because I could not see the text. But I am getting better at watching and using Google Earth and Google Maps. This game teaches new skills too, wow. And I never had thought that looking on the world from above can provide so many ideas. I can't wait playing Torg again. So many new rpg ideas came out of this game. After seeing the storm placements, I started using the storms as an additional weapon. Poor Belgium btw, sandwiched between the storm fronts.

Edited by Stormchild
Because I can't await the week 5 update. That old christmas feeling again.

Posting on other people's boards - Fine by me.

The core earth posts are great too... I just wish I had more gotaks to make use of them...

The black woman with a torch of light? Heading South?

Yeah, I don't know where they're going, but it ain't gonna be pretty when they get there.

Gleep!

Especially not if they're heading right into my clutches...

...it becomes increasingly difficult observing my realm on Google Earth. The placemarks are getting in the way. They are great to gauge the extent of the other realms but now they get in the way for observing the realms.

The number of placemarks keeps bogging my browser down, so I'm starting to get shy of even looking at the Core Earth map. The first lesson that I'm taking from this game is that Google Maps is not the way to do this game.

I'm glad that you like the hints, because they let me show off what's going on in the background. I can't help but give away the secrets, that's why I play this game instead of poker.:cool:

What impresses me about the contributions so far is the high quality of writing and the thought that must have gone into their creation, and also that each thread's writing is distinct in a way that really emphasizes the flavour of the reality that it's describing. For example, the Orrorsh thread is gothic and creepy, while the Star Sphere thread is very in the vein of classic space opera. They're a lot of fun to read, and I've been trying to keep up by posting to the Core Earth thread in what I think would be according to that reality. Like it's the "reality" reality.

At this point I should note that I have *absolutely no idea what I'm doing*.

I can write superhero schtick, I'm a go-to guy for comedy, and, on a good day, I can muddle through some D&D or Shadowrun foo, but I've never read a horror novel in my *life*. Nor anything Victorian, such as Sherlock Holmes. No Frankenstein, no Dracula, no Lovecraft, *nada*.

I'm so far out of my comfort zone, here, that I can't even *see* it. But I went and picked the Gaunt Man early on, just because I wanted to get Orrorsh out of Indonesia and somewhere close, like Haiti.

And then I realized that I have *no* clue what to do from there.

So, hey! Watch the dancing monkey, kids! I'll just, you know, be over HERE, lurking and hoping nobody looks too close.

At this point I should note that I have *absolutely no idea what I'm doing*.

I can write superhero schtick, I'm a go-to guy for comedy, and, on a good day, I can muddle through some D&D or Shadowrun foo, but I've never read a horror novel in my *life*. Nor anything Victorian, such as Sherlock Holmes. No Frankenstein, no Dracula, no Lovecraft, *nada*.

I'm so far out of my comfort zone, here, that I can't even *see* it. But I went and picked the Gaunt Man early on, just because I wanted to get Orrorsh out of Indonesia and somewhere close, like Haiti.

And then I realized that I have *no* clue what to do from there.

So, hey! Watch the dancing monkey, kids! I'll just, you know, be over HERE, lurking and hoping nobody looks too close.

Just pretend that your plans are so deep and complicated that mere mortal minds like us can't understand them. Works for religion ;) .

There's a reason that I'm using both Voodoo and Sacellum belief systems to latch people, you know. :)

Orrorsh is in an interesting position. Social and Tech levels lower than Core Earth = Higher-than-average casualties. Spirit and Magical levels higher than Core Earth = Higher-than-average "Diserations" to your side and reduce the number of people who bail.

Orrosh has all of this. And then scares the pee out of people.

The big thing that Orrosh has, tho, is the Power of Fear, which is a kind of corrupted Power of Hope and the core storytelling method that refills Possibilities in people from Glory seeds. In essence, horror stories are as old as storytelling, designed to keep people in line. Boogeyman'll get you, don't talk to strangers, don't go out at night, toss some salt over your shoulder to ward off evil, etc etc etc. People don't walk around and go, "Hey, a place that's full of stuff that wants to eat my head! I'll switch to THAT reality!" Instead, they wind up believing in it because they're afraid of it.

Very handy, that.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0