D6 Online 3.0
Lubidius

Interest check, d6 fantasy pbp game.

Hey. Just doing an initial check on if anyone is interested in an old school basic dnd style fantasy game based upon the core D6 Fantasy book. That is one area that is not represented here currently for PbP games. This is strictly an interest check. It will be a month or longer before I could start one up. Just as fyi, my style of GM'ing is very rules light. I err towards entertainment more then minute rule checks. I like to see folks enjoy themselves, so please no power gamers please apply. This will be a casual game, but with as much detail as I can muster of course. Do not reply with character ideas yet, just reply if you are interested.

Edited by Lubidius

I was thinking of basing it loosely on one of the more popular fantasy book series :

Sword Of Truth

A Song Of Ice And Fire

Wheel Of Time

Or I will do something entirely novel, pun intended.

Here is a decent fantasy book top 100 listing website .... for other ideas..

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/fantasy100/lists_series.html

I'm even keen on trying to redo one of the original 1st Edition AD&D module series, If I can find any of them lying in my attic. Again, just as a jumping off point. I'd create a niche side plot concerning the character party.

Here is a decent list of original d&d module series -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_modules

I just want to check general interest at this point, to determine if I should put forth the effort to finalize a plot line and back history.

Edited by Lubidius

Of popular Fantasy book series which I cant ever recall seeing any RPG stuff done on, I think Robert Asprin's Myth series would be a cool starting point for an RPG

Old ADnD or DnD stuff would be fun to (Ive recently gotten a bunch of the old RoleAids books Ive been browsing)

I'll have to research the series a bit more, but it fits my personality as a GM from what cursory information I've found on it. So, you've pulled my arm successfully. Any other takers? Just looking to see that we'd have at least 4 people interested before investing time in research and plot development.

Ok, so 2 interested so far. Anyone else up for a Myth Adventures setting D6 Fantasy Play-By-Post? I will not start until August 15th, to give me time to prepare properly.

Just as FYI, the posting rate will be once a weekday (M-F) or more but only if everyone has already posted. Also, if a player has not posted within 48 hours of my posts (M-F 48hrs), they will be NPC'd as needed.

Cya soon...

I'll recheck interest on August 1st, but until then I'm reading the Myth books through for ideas. I am willing to start things off with 3 players, if everyone is fine with that.

I'd do a fantasy game. I'm not much of a space opera kind of guy.

Depending on the implimentation, a Wheel of Time game would be a blast, but I'm up for anything.

As for setting, you could probably get away with keeping it really vauge. People roll the characters they think would be fun, and build a forum "setting" around that. Much less overhead as well!

I think we are going with a Myth Adventures setting; but given that, just about anything is possible as it is based on many dimensions with varied tech and magic levels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythAdventures

The core group of players will be in the fantasy dimension from the first book but it can branch any which way folks feel open to take it. I'm a very hands off GM if I sense folks are enjoying "co-authoring" the storyline. I try and feed off the player's muse.

I'm very much enjoying reading the first two books in the series as research. If you care to join in, I'd love to have a 4th player (or more). I can support roughly 8 players, split in smaller groups on a roughly single purpose if needed. The Myth Adventures story line makes for a very interesting RPG setting. It should be very interesting to say the least. I really think given the setting, we'll likely go at a slow pace (1 post a day) but I'm hoping folks will loosen up and let themselves get into the pun lashings similar to the series [you'll know what I'm talking about when you've read them - or you may have read them already]. I'd like for folks to really take their time posting, and come up with 2 to 3 fully thought out paragraphs per posting. Of course we all have bad schedules from time to time, so a one-liner when you just don't have a muse if perfectly fine.

I look forward to this a lot.

Edited by Lubidius

Re-checking interest level. I'm in the process now of doing a small write-up of "Magik" in the Myth Adventures setting. I'll post it when complete. I'm not going to state a specific start date for this, but roughly, a couple weeks. Just want to be sure we still have 3 or more folks on board. I'm looking to do a solid 3 month run, then take a month hietas to write-up another solid fully fleshed out adventure, rinse and repeat. So, please do not commit unless you are at least in it for the 3 month real-time run (could run longer then that per adventure, just an estimate). One post a weekday (M-F) with ~two paragraphs or so a post on average please. Just to embellish and keep a literary feel to the offering. I don't expect Shakespeare, just in Myth Adventures, there will be a lot of dialog and joking abound. There will be combat, but a great % of what goes on in the books is attempting to fool the bad guys or sorta-bad guys into helping you out. :)

Here is what I am working on. (Work-In-Progress)

http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddvhgd2q_108g2b6tfms

Edited by Lubidius

Updated the myth adventures rules slightly for magik pools. All suggestions are welcome:

Also, if folks definitely are still game to do a play-by-post in this setting, please reply to this thread as such, or PM me. I just want a head count. I should be able to start within a week or so.

Updated the myth adventures rules slightly for magik pools. All suggestions are welcome:

Also, if folks definitely are still game to do a play-by-post in this setting, please reply to this thread as such, or PM me. I just want a head count. I should be able to start within a week or so.

I am really confused by your description of the spell pool. At one point it looks like you get a certain number of mana points, but then in another spot it looks like you can only cast each spell a certain number of time per day. Can you clarify for my tired old brain, please? :)

My apologies, I had simplified it, but in doing so, had not deleted or reformatted a few sentences to follow suit. Please re-review. If anything still does not make sense, PLEASE yell. And reading the myth adventures wiki references should be enough to partake in the game. If I did things EXACTLY like the books, we'd have 30 pages of jokes, so, there will be a little little more traditional fantasy mixed in here then in the series.

And..... I've adjusted things even further.

I've toned down the overall magik points for a given pool. It ended up being rather high with a X 6 modifier. I reduced to X 3. I also introduced that successful magic spell casting only costs 1 magik pool from a given attribute pool, but failed casting costs 3.

This may need further adjusting, but so far, it looks work-able.