D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
mbentley

Men of Mystery -- In Character

This thread will be for all In Character content. When it comes to rolling I wish for you to use http://rpg.norwinter.com/konkret/ and to fill in the "Save this roll as:" with your characters name. Make sure to select "WEG's Wild Die" in the "Use an RPG System:". Once you have completed a roll copy and past it in the bottom of your message like I have done below:

[Climbing: (7:19:12 AM) "The Shadow"(Sum: 13)4xD6: 2 6 2 3 ]

Monday, August 1, 1938

11PM

Two men dressed in black trench coats and fedoras walk down a dark Chicago street. The two men whisper to each other so their voices don't carry. All of the businesses on this section of street are closed at this late hour. Finally the two men come to a stop in front of Parker's Books. The shorter of the two men kneels down, takes some tools out of his coat pocket and starts working on the lock. In less than a minute there is a click. The door is opened with ease. Both men enter the store and are inside for about fifteen minutes.

Finally the two men exit the store. The taller one is carrying a small duffel bag and the shorter one carries a large, leather bound book under his arm. They casually stroll down the street and away from the book store. The door of the book store hangs open. They reach the end of the block and turn.

The street is quiet and again empy of any signs of life. Five minutes pass with nothing happening when suddenly there is a massive explosion within the store. It sends brick, glass and flaming books flying from the store and out into the street. The buildings on either side of what was Parker's Books are barely damaged, but it looks like Parker's is totally destroyed. Off in the distance sirens can be heard.

[The opening credits roll showing The Night Watcher and Angel doing cool action stuff and scenes from the upcoming seasons]

Police cars and fire trucks arrive within minutes of the explosion. The fire is quickly contained. The police head in and do their thing once they are told it's safe, but they don't stay long.

This isn't the first of these incidents and so far no evidence has been left behind by the culprits. Destroyed in similar ways were a barbershop, a pet store and a bar. All of them small, family owned businesses, and no apparent connection to the Mob or other criminal organizations. No one has been harmed in any of these explosions.

Tuesday, August 2, 1938

12:05AM

The Night Watcher

The Night Watcher watches from a nearby roof top as the police pack up and leave the scene. Not even a single officer is left behind to guard the place. Quickly he makes his way down from the roof top and across to the burnt-out store front. Even from the outside it looks like the others.

Inside it isn't much different either. Virtually everything has been reduced to rubble and that which hasn't is water logged from the fire hose. It looks like the bookstore used to be two rooms; a front section with the book stacks, a counter with a cash register on it and a few tables, the other room appears to have been an office.

In the former office the remains of a desk sit mostly burned out, what once were invoices are scattered and charred throughout the office and a wall safe hangs open.

Meanwhile...

Angel

Sister Angela Ryan, Angel, is in her chambers praying when her door opens and Father James Forthill enters. Her chambers are a simple room with a bed, a small desk and a cabinet to keep her clothes and other items in. A candle sits upon the desk, providing the only light in the room.

Father Forthill waits until she is finished praying and says, "Sister Angela, I think your services are needed on the streets. There was another explosion. The Police investigated it, but they did not find anything. This is not a surprise." He holds out a piece of paper with the address written on it. "I spoke with my contact in the Chicago Police and they say this business, a bookstore, has no connection to any of the local crime families. Please do what you do best, find the men responsible and make sure they pay for their crimes."

Edited by mbentley

The Night Watcher sifts through the debris and inspects the safe for any clues that the police might have overlooked.

(Perception Roll=12)

Searching through the debris quickly shows that the police did not do as good of a job as they should have. The Night Watcher finds the remains of the explosive device, which was set just outside the office door in the main section of the book store. It's a strange looking device, like nothing available to the general public. It's about the size of a softball, has a small analog clock on the outside.

(Streetwise roll to know who built it)

(Streetwise=10, but rolled a 1 on the Wild Die. :rolleyes:)

For a moment you struggle with your memory, but finally you remember a man who creates gadgets for both sides. His name is Anton Nikolaevich Putin and he has a shop in a warehouse near the docks.

Angel turns toward the priest, "Certainly Father. Do you know if anyone was injured or killed in the attack?"

Father Forthill is quiet for a moment and says, "It appears no one was killed in this attack. This seems to be part of this pattern of attacks. It is a most unusual tactic for the criminal element. They do not usually worry about casualities."

"Very odd . . . and a bookstore. Books do not sound especially lucrative. I will investigate this as best I can Father"

"Be careful and may God go with you."

(Anything you want to do before leaving?)

Angel will say a prayer to St John of God, patron saint of booksellers, and then head to the late bookshop (first outfitting herself with adventuring gear)

Angel will say a prayer to St John of God, patron saint of booksellers, and then head to the late bookshop (first outfitting herself with adventuring gear)

It takes Angel about fifteen minutes to get to the bookstore. Through the hole in the front of the bookstore you spot a man dressed in a black suit, trench coat, fedora and his face is covered in a black gauze, hiding his features. He is examing a strange device.

(Neither of you have meet before, but have heard of each other in papers and from contacts. Go.)

Angel at first is a bit suspicious seeing someone poking through the ruins, but after registering the figures signature attire smiles and approaches

"Good . . . morning technically I suppose, I see you are investigating this already, may I join you?"

Adam smiles beneath his mask, "And good morning to you Angel. Yeah, the police seem to have been a bit too sleepy to do their job tonight, of course there could be more nefarious reasons. I'd be more than happy to have help from someone with an open line to the big guy."

He fingers the shell of the device in his hand, and then holds it up for Angel to inspect, "You recognize this?"

(1:02:45 AM) "Angel Per"(Sum: 10)2xD6: 1 6 3

((Since it rolled 3 dice for me on a 2d6 roll I guess the 6 was the wild die))

(1:02:45 AM) "Angel Per"(Sum: 10)2xD6: 1 6 3

((Since it rolled 3 dice for me on a 2d6 roll I guess the 6 was the wild die))

A name springs right to mind, Anton Nikolaevich Putin and the fact he has a shop in a warehouse near the docks. You also recall his shop is considered neutral ground among both the crooks and the masks. However you notice something that The Night Watcher missed, it was modified. It doesn't look exactly like Anton's original work. Either it's a copy or someone modified something of his.

Angel goes and pokes through the debris trying to find out what kind of books this place sold

Unfortunately it seems all evidence of what type of books were sold in the store were destroyed by the fire or the water from the fire trucks.

As Angel begins sifting through the debris, Adam ponders the information he's just been given. He begins thinking about who would be capable of modifying Mr. Putin's devices.

(Investigation roll=18, 1 on the WD. :()

As Angel begins sifting through the debris, Adam ponders the information he's just been given. He begins thinking about who would be capable of modifying Mr. Putin's devices.

(Investigation roll=18, 1 on the WD. :()

There are a handful of people who could do this, Doctor Martin Browne (a scientist/gadgeteer at that works with the police sometimes, unlikely), Doctor Richard Strange (works for a Burleson Engineering, a local engineering firm), Jimmy 'The Brain' Tucalo (Works for The Chicago Outfit) and there are a couple others, but they escape you right now.

(Man dice have been rough for you two lately.)

After a brief discussion Angel and The Night Watcher decide to split up and meet back at a specific roof top in three hours. The Night Watcher is going to check a couple of names he came up with that could have modified the weapon and Angel decides to speak with Doctor Anton Nikolaevich Putin.

Angel makes her way through the city of Chicago. Due to the late hour it is fairly quiet on the streets. However in the sky she can see a few Chicago PD Airships floating above the city, keeping an eye from above.

Finally after about thirty minutes she arrives at the dockside warehouse that Doctor Putin calls home. From the outside it is a run down looking warehouse with no obvious lights on from within. An old sign hangs above the door, but it is worn blank now. The only thing to mark it as his place is a small symbol, a red circle with a yellow lightining bold going through it, painted beside the door. Just above that is a small, black button that almost blends into the wood around it. Anyone coming here knows you have to press the button before being allowed access into Doctor Putin's Laboratory.

Sign in to follow this