D6 Online 3.0
Whill

* Introduce Yourself *

cpaludan    10

Hi,

Better get my self introduced here so you know where I come from as well.

Born way back in 1970 I started playing a badly translated version of Basic D&D back in 1980 - we had no real clue as to what all this RPG stuff was about except that my friends brother played it with his friends and they seemed to have fun. Nonetheless we were having a good time and eventually learned what the heck this RPG was all about. We quickly began to make new rules and change existing ones because we didn't think the D&D stuff made any sense. Like a lot of other people we were of course influenced by LotR, but just as much from Wizard of Earthsee and Krabat and their view of magic. By the end of the 80'ies we were asked to help run some RPG demonstrations on the libraries in the city we lived in and we ended up deciding to run a set of games on each library with a "best player" from each game chosen by us. All these "best gamers" would meet in a final game where only one could be the winner, but noone would be able to make it through the game alone.

In order to have every one play on the same level we decided to formalize our own rules (boy - did that reveal a LOT of errors and inconsistency :)) and soon the first fledging set of written down rules saw the light of the day. The rules back then and still to this day has a strong philosophy of the GM being the one that is in charge of the rules. We were (and still are) very annoyed with (especially) the AD&D players we saw destroy many a game because they were forcing their GM to play according to the rulebooks rather than how his or her world was put together. In our minds the rules are there to help the GM and players to experience a fantastic story, they are NOT a game in it self.. So if the GM says you can't do this.... you can find all the rules you want saying that you can.... it won't help a thing.. The GM has the final saying.

This has had several AD&D and now 3.5+ D&D players run away screaming... but just as many of their fellow players to actually wake up and think "hey.. this is actually fun.. and much more interesting"..

As the years went by, wife, job and kids took me away from RPG'ing in too much of the 90'ies and in the meantime my friend actually manage to get our rules published 3 times as well as making a Live version as well. The rules are now on their way towards the 4th edition and I still play it every week (as RL permits our small group to gather).

I haven't been playing many other games, a bit of Vampire, CoC, a small campaign of D&D3.5 that had me screaming in frustration (I really do hate their XP system and the fact that the combat system works best with miniatures and maps.

So what brought me to D6 - well... I have been playing a little bit with Tales of Blade and Heroes from Ganesha games as I have played a lot of their miniature wargame rules and thought my son would have an easy transition from playing the wargames to playing the RPG. It is how ever also better when using miniatures during battle which I still dislike. Another friend of mine was preparing to run some farie RPG with his girls, which I think was more or less loosely based on D6. He talked about the old SW stuff from WEG and I began to google all this 2 weeks ago. Finding open source stuff is ALWAYS good and I thought I would try it out in a mini campaign with the kids.

So here I am - as I already have THE best set of rules written partly by my self ;) I still find it exiting to read about other rules (and to actually try them out as well). And D6 seems like the perfect easy set of rules to introduce the kids to along with our own set eventually. I look forward to joining in here as much as I can..

This must be it for now... if you have any other questions, please ask.

/Claus

MysticMoon    15

Welcome. I am fairly new here myself and only came to D6 recently (aside from a very brief foray into Star Wars in the early 90s when I was trying out a number of different systems.)

In order to have every one play on the same level we decided to formalize our own rules (boy - did that reveal a LOT of errors and inconsistency :)) and soon the first fledging set of written down rules saw the light of the day. The rules back then and still to this day has a strong philosophy of the GM being the one that is in charge of the rules. We were (and still are) very annoyed with (especially) the AD&D players we saw destroy many a game because they were forcing their GM to play according to the rulebooks rather than how his or her world was put together. In our minds the rules are there to help the GM and players to experience a fantastic story, they are NOT a game in it self.. So if the GM says you can't do this.... you can find all the rules you want saying that you can.... it won't help a thing.. The GM has the final saying.

This has had several AD&D and now 3.5+ D&D players run away screaming... but just as many of their fellow players to actually wake up and think "hey.. this is actually fun.. and much more interesting"..

I hear you. The first long-running campaign I was in as a kid was run in AD&D, but the DM only paid the thinnest lip service to the rules. He was an incredible story teller and had several quite memorable NPCs. The only time it became uncomfortable was when a player decided to act the part of the rules lawyer and they devolved into an hours long argument. The rest of the time was great. I have always been grateful to that DM for showing me how important story is to the game. I pretty much just stick to rules-lite systems now so that the rules don't interfere with the story. I am also very upfront about how I run games when I am the GM.

cpaludan    10

I agree completely MysticMoon - the story is EVERYTHING... if you go the rules lawyer way you are trying to win a game that can't be won.. Or rather not won by rules.. When the story is great and flows freely without hindrance from rules.. then everybody has won ;)

bjlroland    10

Hello, I am a 35 year old seminary graduate and sometime player/DM who has experience with D&D 3.5, 4.0 (unfortunately), Whitewolf, Cathulu, Pathfinder, and D6. I have favored D6 (fantasy primarily) in recent years because it is easy to pick up and teach to others. When you are my age and married, it becomes hard to find people who are willing to give the time to roleplaying. My best game I ever hosted was with 2 of my brother in laws and a nephew none of whom had much experience, but I set a zombie attack in our town and allowed them to use any items that they had on them and whatever they knew they could get to in our town. It was a blast!

Quick question, anyone know of some good pre-made adventures which would be compatible with the d6 Fantasy book?

Thank you and God Bless!

Dromed    10

Hi everyone. I'm not sure how active this forum is but I'll be glad to be involved. I recently started roleplaying using the D6 system about 3 months ago with the star wars 2nd edition book. Being mostly a d&d and pathfinder roleplayer I found the simplicity of the D6 system very refreshing. I prefer the exclusions of classes, as it gives participants flexibility and the focus on roleplaying and storytelling suits my style of gaming. Recently I've been working on a homebrew mod of D6 for a setting I'm creating as it is shortly going to be my round to DM. I'm looking forward to gaining some insights and ideas and possibly sharing my own.

rredmond    10
Hi everyone. I'm not sure how active this forum is but I'll be glad to be involved. I recently started roleplaying using the D6 system about 3 months ago with the star wars 2nd edition book. Being mostly a d&d and pathfinder roleplayer I found the simplicity of the D6 system very refreshing. I prefer the exclusions of classes, as it gives participants flexibility and the focus on roleplaying and storytelling suits my style of gaming. Recently I've been working on a homebrew mod of D6 for a setting I'm creating as it is shortly going to be my round to DM. I'm looking forward to gaining some insights and ideas and possibly sharing my own.

Welcome!

Its slow hers but there's some good info that I stole for our play by post game at Unseen Servant!

Enjoy.

Hi WEG-fans Community !

I'm a 32 y.o. french guy living in germany.

My first contact was with TORG (quite 20 years ago) and Star Wars D6 (expanded & revised - french translation) which is the game system i read and mastered the quickest in my "GM-career" (5 Days from buying to running a game :)

My WEG-mania came much later. Bloodshadows, Necroscope and Shatterzone are now part of my collection and i'm still on the search for some books.

I came here in search of infos on Shatterzone, my new gaming project. Specifically on psionic powers. And apparently there is not much directly for Shatterzone. At least i have now the confirmation that i have all the books on psi for shatterzone....

I plan a mining-exploitation-management campaign for shatterzone, with sandboxing aspects.

I've registered here thanks to/because of Kansas Jim, and his fame in the TORG community (and his dedication to developp a better masterbook).

But i've to say i also love the D6 system, so this forum is a boon for me :)

Last year i've run a "Star Wars - The clone Wars" campaign with D6-system, with a group of 4 Jedis. Who paved the way to the construction of the death-star, retrieving some parts of the mega-planetdestroying-weapon. One of the first campaign i ever finished paying.

Kage2020    10

Just thought that I would say a quick "Hi there." I just posted a thread that did much the same (in greater detail), but felt that doing it here in the thread that for some reason that I didn't see would be a good thing to do, too.

Anyway, I'm coming back to the d6 system after many years and tinkering with other generic systems. I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to handle my current project--an interpretation of the Earthdawn, Shadowrun, and (unofficially) Equinox meta-setting.

I look forward to posting and learning more--and remembering a bunch--about d6.

^_^

anlarye    7

Hi.

I'm glad to find a d6 based forum that isn't dedicated completely to Star Wars (although there is nothing wrong with that). I'm a long time gamer, cutting my gaming teeth in the beginning with D&D and Traveller when both were new games. Just so you know with Star Wars, I have seen every movie to date in the theater on the original release. Gaming wise I have played in or GMed a ton of games and systems.

My favs are d20, d6, and Fudge. 

I do techie stuff for a living. I have already written 2 games using d6 Legends. I am going to write another game as time and resources allow and it will be an RPG.

anlarye    7

Well those 2 games aren't really RPGs, they are simulation games. A lot of members of my family aren't into gaming but they like sports. It's a bridge between the two worlds.

Dunkel    2

Hello,

I'm a french rpg player of 46 years old and I'm searching another light system for a french game that I didn't like the rules. I was searching ressources for D6 system and I found this board, so I'm here :). I hope I can talk with you to learn more from D6 system.

Regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mavelic    11

Salut et bienvenu ! Je suis français aussi (mais je continue en anglais).

Basically, D6 rpg is Star Wars core system (appeared 1987 ? I played first time in '88...), but like GURPS, it became more "generic and universal" with "D6 system" rules. Now it's a totally free system under OGL names OpenD6 since april 2009. You can find all books you need for most game settings there : https://ogc.rpglibrary.org/index.php?title=OpenD6

If you're looking for a simple D6 based system, then i think mini-six is made for you.
http://www.antipaladingames.com/p/mini-six.html for orignal version
http://www.rune.free.fr/de-roulant/Mini_Six_FR_v1.pdf pour la VF.

Enjoy

• Thanks 1