D6 Online 3.0
Whill

* Introduce Yourself *

Greetings to all,

I have arrived to this merry place of joy and enlightenment in order to extend my benevolent dictatorship.... wrong forum, hmm not the UN. :eek:

Lets start again. I have been playing and running rpg's, since I was 15 and had more hair on my head and less elsewhere. I have probably played more systems and settings than I can remember at this point, but among the lot, D6 was the most outright fun and really allowed the best scaling and scope. I do admit to only playing the StarWars \sw\ version, but it allowed us to play a lot of tech level settings and locations. I have found the mechanics to generally be very elegant and accessible and also able to blend into the background of the game seamlessly. Sure it had quirks, but the core system is probably the best I have used. :)

I have recently been appointed to the role of Compiler for the Open D6 Resurrection Project, which is truly fantastic. It is my sincere hope, that I will be able to help create a truly great resource and in doing so, give back to the hobby that has expanded my conceptual and reasoning abilities like no other has or could. :D

Hi,

I'm Jeff and have been a gamer since March of '81 when I was introduced to AD&D. In '88, I discovered the joys of WEG's Star Wars. Over the years I've played just about every majorly produced RPG out there. From mid 2000- late 2007, I played in Gary Gygax's personal weekly campaign until I moved to Texas for a year. While in Texas, I discovered the d6 books (Fantasy, Adventure, and Space) which I immediately bought.

I wrote an expansion book ( The Gaming District) for Gary's "Yggsburgh" project but it is now lost to the ether following his passing nearly two years ago and I'm doubting it (along with most of the as yet unpublished books in that line) will ever see the shelf.

I'm married, have three daughters and live in Mundelein, Illinois. :D

P.S. I'm also a member of Mensa, and a Freemason (*spooky conspiracy music begins to play*)

Fellow Geeks,

My name's Phil, and I was born in '79. I started playing 1st edition D&D around the age of 10, with my older brother as the DM. We eventually moved to 2nd edition D&D. We tried a great many games over time, including Marvel superheroes, Top Secret, Rifts, and more. Some of my fondest memories growing up were of my brother, myself, and a group of friends gathering together in the basement for an evening of gaming. I'm sure all of you can identify. I continue to play on and off over the years, though I've found it's difficult to find a consistent group that mixes well. My brother still plays regularly to this day with the same group he gamed with in college. I've just moved to a new area (Tacoma, WA) and will eventually be looking to gather a band of gamers.

Like many, I've been hooked on D6 since Star Wars. But I've felt like that was the last solid setting the D6 system has seen -- just my opinion. In addition to working on my own OpenD6 project, I look forward to seeing what my fellow fans produce.

Hi! My name is Brandon Blackmoor. I have been playing roleplaying games since the early 1980s. It went pretty much like this: D&D for a few years, then Champions for over a decade, then Mutants & Masterminds for the past five or six years. I have played other things from time to tiime, but oddly enough, never played any Star Wars or West End Games games. The first time I looked at a D6 book was this week!

Aside from gaming, I am a big fan of bad movies. I host a torrent server for the MST3K Digital Archive Project, and I have more Godzilla movies on DVD than most Americans know exist. I really like coffee. I have a lovely wife, a disobedient cat, and an aquarium of fish that take me for granted and occasionally die. I live in Richmond, VA, which is one of the best places in the USA to live.

Hello WEG fans. A little about me?

I'm brand new to RPG's of the tabletop variety. I played a lot of CRPG's though (Elder Scrolls, Baldur's Gate, Guild Wars, etc).

As a PnP greenhorn, I've spent some time looking at the wide variety of games on the market. I found the Open D6 project and was immediately attracted to the simplicity and flexibility of the generic/universal system. I really like the Mini-Six lite rules too.

I joined this forum for a couple of reasons. There aren't many D6 forums around, AFAIK... And I had a few questions regarding how some of the rules work, specifically combat (Reflex penalties, blocking/parries, etc). I'll probably lurk around and watch/read the PbP section for a while to get the general idea.

Geetings,

I'm Ray McVay, AKA RocketDad, and I started gaming in the eighties with (suprise) D&D. My one souviner from Disney World in '91 was a copy of Star Wars 2nd Edition from the Endor Venders gisft shop outside of Star Tours. I still have it, which is amazing since I've used non-stop (and Sometimes daily) From then until '99 ahen I tried to make the switch to D20. That was a FAIL. So I went to D&D and got used to the extensive rules and rigid classes and wished I could find D6 gamers to play with. I missed the days when I GMed as system I knew so well that I didn't have to look up anything, and could make up a playable NPC on the fly. I've had this idea for a Hard SF game for almost a year now, but never persued it because I didn't want to make a rules system, just a setting. I wished that I could just use my beloved D6 and still maybe sell my game...

So sifting through the free stuff on RPGNow, I find that D6 Space is now free, which led me to ask why, which led me here.

Weather or not you believe in providence, you've gotta admit that was a peice of serindipity.

Hello WEGFans. My very first RPG was TSR's Marvel RPG. My 2nd was Star Wars D6 and my next game was Top Secret/S.I. My mom was not comfortable with Dungeons & Dragons for all the cliché reasons so I had to get around that with sci-fi and modern RPGs. This passion is still with me. However, most of my gaming these days is Dungeons & Dragons 3.5, but this is due to my groups wants more than what I want to play. I play it, but I'm not that fond of d20.

Most recently I've been trying to decide which game system to run a solo game with for my brother. That's what brought me back to my roots. I'm also interested in the current state of the D6 game system and hoping to be here when whatever will happen with it does happen (and perhaps be part of that happening).

So here I am. And glad to be here.

grettings my names wayne,ihold the knitname turbo at work which is fine by me cos lets face it theres worse names out there,i joined yesterday after finally finding a site dedictaed to west end games and hopefully i can finally put a value on my ghostbusters rpg original from 1986,its pretty late here in portsmouth(pompey) u.k now so im climbing in the pit-peace

http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/showthread.php?2604-ghostbusters-original-rpg-1969#post27723

Hey all, I write a daily oldschool D&D (actually Labyrinth Lord) blog called Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets and I am here because Harmyn squealed about his game on the Goblinoid Games forum and I love the system. I am currently writing a .vs Monsters version of my blog to be followed by a Mini Six version, so I will probably be looking for willing playtesters as I get closer to putting the Mini Six book together.

Hello, I'm new to the forums. New to D6 in general but quickly falling in love with the system. Been reading up a lot on it and would like to help out on the forums and in other ways. I'm 24 years old, and about to go into nursing as a profession.

My role playing history was mainly 2nd edition AD&D till middle school. Then little bits here and there through out the years. Tried to get back into it full time with 4th edition D&D, but did not care about the system to much. Now trying a whole bunch of different games with my current group. Hope to try D6 for a full campaign soon.

Hello All,

I'm an old school gamer from way back, started gaming about 1983 or so. I'll post my gaming resume somewhere in the future in this tread. I saw this site advertised in Whill's sig from on the Rancor's Pit forums and I thought I'd come over here and see how things are going. I'm looking forward to conversing with everyone.

Most of the times when I post I'm looking for advice or thoughts about a certain subject from my fellow GM's and players.

I'm in college right now so I don't have a lot of time to set down with my friends or local gamers and this is about as close as I can get to have a discussion. When a thread strikes my fancy I'll post about it and give whatever help I can but my time is sort of limited so you may not hear much from me that doesn't mean I'm ignoring people.

I hope that is a good intro and feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Peace All

Jester

Hi everyone I'm Al, and I'm a gamer <audience calls back "hi al">.

Here is my lovely long bio I use for cons and such:

Welcomed into the world in 1960, Al grew up in an extended family that was always playing games. Board games, card games, riddles etc. (Try playing 'Crazy 8s' with 15 people and 3 decks of cards shuffled together... that's a game there!). Joining the USAF in 1981 Al was quickly introduced to this new thing, RPGs via AD&D. Playing every evening and straight through weekends Al quickly learned the basics of role-playing and AD&D. In about nine months of play he put in enough game time to equal about three years of anyone else's life. Al continued to hone his skills over the years playing on long assignments including in Egypt and South Korea. The constantly changing mix of players and GM's exposed Al to a great many ideas and styles.

While in the Air Force Al met and married his lovely wife Wilma, a San Antonio native, became skilled in electronics repair, computer support and networking design/installation. He has an A.A.S in Health Information Technology, a dual B.S. in Computer Science/Management Information Systems, and an M.A. in Computer Resource Information Management. While a computer enthusiast from the early days of the Commodore 64, Al’s purchased his first IBM compatible computer and quickly became a fair programmer in BASIC, C, and the MS-DOS Batch File scripting language. His first exposure to MS Windows was with v2.11 that was the OS on the US Gov’t wide contract called ‘Desktop III’. This being still the early days of computers he was responsible for learning all the software and then training his co-workers in its use. Al was forced to learn PowerPoint when a presentation done in Harvard Graphics had to be re-done in the new PowerPoint, first a 20-slide presentation and that same week a separate 70-page presentation that had to be sent “up the chain”

Al has also been a 'professional game demonstrator' (aka Demo Monkey) since 1999 for many companies including Kenzer&Co, AEG, Columbia Games, Twilight Creations, Wizards of the Coast, and for the last 8 years, Mongoose Publishing. Besides his experiences with Comic Book/Sci-Fi cons in his native NYC, Al served on the ConCom for Incon (2000&2001, Spokane WA) and has been a regular at Miscon, Radcon, Dragonflight, and Conquest Oregon in addition to Gamestorm.

Al has a few small RPG CCG credits including the "1st Ed AD&D to Hackmaster 4th Ed Character Conversion Process”, background work on the Spycraft CCG, Errata compilation for Spycraft RPG v1, and most recently was the co-writer of JBE’s Traveller Supplement “d66 Compendium” as well as several separate random name lists generated in the languages of several of the major races in the “Third Imperium” setting for Traveller.

Al’s hobbies include computer games, designing/writing/running/playing RPGs as well as playing Board and Traditional card games. He is an avid reader of Science Fiction, Sword & Sorcery, and History. He loves movies in these genre’s as well as a good comedy and even the occasional romantic comedy with his wife. He prefers in-person activities as opposed to online, simply because people were meant to interact in person.

Al’s most current projects is a sci-fi RPG setting using the OpenD6 game system, and writing his blog “The View From My Gaming Shelves” http://theviewfrommygameshelves.wordpress.com/ (currently closed)

Edited by GamerDude

G'day all,

I'm Sean, and broke my RPG cherry on Star Wars D6 R&E. While I've dabbled in a few other systems, notably White Wolf nWod and AD&D to 3E, D6 has always been my favourite. So I've decided to put my money where my mouth is, and develop my own book.

In terms of real life, I've got Navy experience and policing experience, so if you've got some questions on that front I'm more than happy to answer what I can.

Cheers,

--- Sean.

Hello folks.

I just registered on the site and noticed the introduce yourself thread. I started gaming in the early 80's as a kid as a player, then pretty much stopped when I got to college. I played D&D, AD&D, and Star Frontiers. I ran some games as the DM when I was getting older.

I started playing again regularly about seven or eight years ago. I've played a couple of face to face sessions, but have mostly played online using Fantasy Grounds. (A great piece of software and the best money I've ever spent on software...any kind of software.) For the most part I've played D&D 3.5 and have played Pathfinder since its recent release and D&D 4.

I've been thinking about trying to run a campaign but I think I would like a simpler system than the recent versions of D&D. I'm mostly concerned with the NPC building that the recent D&D versions require and encounter building. I am not yet old enough to retire (at least, that's what I keep telling myself) so I can't spend too much time prepping the session or I'll never get to play. Anyway, my search has landed me on this board taking a close look at the D6 system. I'm a little confused at this point with what the D6 system actually is because it seems that a number of games have actually been released, but hopefully I'll be able to get some guidance from the board. Hopefully, I'll find something great here to run...but if not, I'm not afraid of just trying systems on as a player. (I've recently been playing some Castles and Crusades and even got a couple of sessions in of Barbarians of Lemuria.)

Well that's it on me.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hey everyone,

I'm a long time lurker but I thought I'd finally introduce myself. I first discovered rpgs in middle school, around the mid-early nineties. My friends and I were always making up games anyways that involved role playing elements, so things just got quickly incorporated into running around outside or setting up lego wars. Since I had always loved Star Wars, I quickly snatched up a copy of WEG Star Wars rpg when my friend pointed it out. That became our default game, but we made up plenty of other settings and adapted whatever part of the d6 system seemed appropriate. From modern spy escapades and gonzo alien federations to tribal dinosaurs competing for resources and were-creatures in the bleak north woods (before White Wolf and Twilight), our imaginations and a loose d6 system were the portals to play. If the game had a gm, I took the role, and spent plenty of time drawing characters. We played a non-magic castle setting and SW through high school, until life got more rushed and serious. Through college we occasionally reminisced about our games and the crazy stories.

Going rapidly from over-booked to hours of free time during the fourth quarter of my freshman year in college, I took to random projects, including starting to create a language. With that evolving, I began to draw the beings who would speak my language, and combined them with a sociology project to create a society. Drawing on Mediterranean and Ancient Near Eastern motifs, the world of Alatha was born. I did soy me more work the following couple years, but but had nearly forgotten it by graduation.

I moved back to my home town, and broke out WEG's Star Wars again with old friends. At some point, one suggested I make a game for "my world". It has been four years, and we've been playing and working on it since. Alatha is my pet project, always growing, adapting, and expanding with our play. And though it is somewhat heavily modified in places, the D6 core is central to the game, and through it the evolution of the world. Someday we may make something to share Alatha with the world, but for now I'm just excited to see a remnant of good ol' d6 fans still out in this 'verse.

I haven't been on the site much since the reboot so I am little late with Welcome Ram!

Fortunately not so late to welcome Alatha. Welcome!

Long time lurker here. I'll try to be more active in the site, family and work allowing. I was introduced to D6 by Star Wars, these days I just read and fantasize about RPGs. I haven't played with a group in years and at the moment all we play are board and card games. I am going to start running a 1 on 1 solo game for my 16 year old son and I'll use D6 for it.

Greetings all. Like many here, I am in my late 30's and started gaming in the 80s, at the tender age of 10. I was the annoying younger sibling who would hover at the edges of my brothers' AD&D game wishing I could play. Eventually, I caught one of my brothers on a day when he was bored and he ran a quick adventure in Star Frontiers (he didn't have a copy of the rules and made up what he couldn't remember; we didn't even use dice) and I was promptly hooked.

I alternated between Star Frontiers, Traveller:2300/2300AD, and 1st Ed AD&D for years. Star Frontiers was my favorite and introduced me to the concept of percents, which stood me in good stead at school. I loved the rules, I loved d10s, and I loved the setting. Unfortunately, that is a game which did not age well at all and I gave it up. I experimented with various systems (Cyberpunk 2020, Shadowrun 2nd ed, the original Battletech/Mechwarrior, the original Star Wars from WEG) and purchased quite a few more. I've gamed very little since high school. For one reason or another, most games seem to last less than a month, usually no more than a session. I'm starting a new campaign with my youngling (my long term solution: grow my own gamer ;) ) that is a rough Bronze Age Ancient Near East and Mediterranean setting using Mini Six.

This is probably an odd thing to admit here, but I didn't think much of Star Wars when it first came out. I tried running a session after my friends and I finished a campaign in Star Frontiers and we didn't even make it through the first hour. I think I simply didn't get it, plus it was probably too much of a change after all the hours we had poured into the last game.

Nowadays my gaming style has changed drastically. I'm more into the story and the characters than power gaming and eking every advantage I possibly can from the rules and endless sourcebooks. (I'd call this maturity, but I'm not all that certain I've gained any :D ) I no longer care about absorbing endless rules and additions. I want something simple and straightforward that can handle any setting of any genre I can throw at it. After looking over systems like GURPS, Savage Worlds, and Cortex, I finally came across Mini Six. And there I've stopped. It meets all of my criteria, including the ability to grab material from other sources (like shelves full of books from dozens of systems) with minimal fuss. I spend a fair amount of time on Strolen's Citadel (under the same username), which is chock full of system neutral ideas and some really creative people.

So, here I am. I hope to be able to contribute to the future success of the OpenD6 family in any way that I can.

I couldn't help myself. Have audience, will talk ;)

I'm trying to figure out if I can come up with some specific content to post here. If so, you may just see more of me.

Going rapidly from over-booked to hours of free time during the fourth quarter of my freshman year in college, I took to random projects, including starting to create a language. With that evolving, I began to draw the beings who would speak my language, and combined them with a sociology project to create a society. Drawing on Mediterranean and Ancient Near Eastern motifs, the world of Alatha was born. I did soy me more work the following couple years, but but had nearly forgotten it by graduation.

As someone who is working on a pseudo bronze age world with similar motifs, I would love to hear more about Alatha.

Heya,

New to the forum so introductions are in order: The name is Brent. I'm 41 years old, been gaming since I was 10 or so. I'm an old d6 fan from way back (1st ED Star Wars and forward) and have been a d6 junkie through the years. I adored the D6 System by WEG (the one with the terrible art), running many an adventure through the following years. I got all excited when Eric Gibson bought WEG and d6...but dismayed what I saw him do with it: I REALLY DID NOT LIKE THE THREE BOOKS MODEL. So I passed from d6, onto other games, notably Savage Worlds, and eventually Risus. Then...then I found Mini-Six and have come back to the fold of d6.

I have my own imprint (Truckee Games) and have been producing materials for Risus, but I have been toying with the idea of producing those materials for d6, specifically compatible with Mini Six. Time will tell, but in the meantime I'm eager to see what people have been doing with d6 and specifically Mini Six.

Welcome to the site, Lighthouse. In case you haven't seen them, there have been a couple of Mini Six related materials put out recently. Tals of War, by Keck Publishing. Monkey's Key by Protagonist Games, and Dysphiron: The Escape by Protagonist Games. A slightly older (as in, released before 2012) Mini Six based game is "In Flames" by Fire Ruby Designs. It actually has a couple of supplements released for the setting.

I also know that there is material being worked on that has Mini Six mechanics, so there will be more eventually.

It would be great to see some of your material released for Mini Six. Looking forward to seeing some material from you.