D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Lubidius

Skype and RP Tools, bi-weekly game anyone?

Hey. I would very much like to GM a loose and casual D6 game (folks can vote on setting that fits everyone's desires). I'm thinking Once every-other-week, on a late Friday night eastern standard time 10PM to Midnight+, something along those lines. Anyone interested?

I'd rather GM something that folks are not already into here or in their table-top games locally. So if there is a hole as far as what folks have GMs for, let me know in reply what you'd be interested in running.

Just throwing this out... but I've been watching a lot of The Legend Of The Seeker (see it on hulu.com, entire series is on there!) and would be interested in running an off-shoot story for that. Or anything along those lines. I can be convinced to run just about any movie, tv, or comic book setting that folks vote for. If I do Legend Of The Seeker, I'd try and make it closer to the Sword Of Truth book series then the show. I'd use D6 Fantasy as a base rule-set for the game.

Casual gaming, laid back, bring drinks, fun fun fun, nothing too deep is my gist. But obviously I'd try to bring detail to the table. It does not have to be a long term commitment, but if folks are enjoying themselves, we can see how things go..

Hey. I would very much like to GM a loose and casual D6 game (folks can vote on setting that fits everyone's desires). I'm thinking Once every-other-week, on a late Friday night eastern standard time 10PM to Midnight+, something along those lines. Anyone interested?

I'd rather GM something that folks are not already into here or in their table-top games locally. So if there is a hole as far as what folks have GMs for, let me know in reply what you'd be interested in running.

Just throwing this out... but I've been watching a lot of The Legend Of The Seeker (see it on hulu.com, entire series is on there!) and would be interested in running an off-shoot story for that. Or anything along those lines. I can be convinced to run just about any movie, tv, or comic book setting that folks vote for. If I do Legend Of The Seeker, I'd try and make it closer to the Sword Of Truth book series then the show. I'd use D6 Fantasy as a base rule-set for the game.

Casual gaming, laid back, bring drinks, fun fun fun, nothing too deep is my gist. But obviously I'd try to bring detail to the table. It does not have to be a long term commitment, but if folks are enjoying themselves, we can see how things go..

I would be game (pun intended). I dont know anything about Sword of Truth and I dont know how set on the setting you are.

My arm could be easily twisted. I just want to do something folks are keen on; and overall just have a nice casual feel overall.

If no one comes up with an alternate setting, I'll run with a fantasy based setting in the world of Sword Of Truth Book Series / Legend Of The Seeker TV Series. I do recommend the TV series, it is available at http://www.hulu.com I think you will like it if you are into D&D and it's offspring.

If each person that replies can give me a list of the Top 3 settings you'd like to run in, maybe we can compile a best candidate there-from.

I'm keen on (in no particular order)

- Legend Of The Seeker

- Bujutsu (ok, gratuitous plug because I'm working on a ruleset based in medieval Japan)

- Star Wars (perhaps a corner of the Galaxy far away from anything you've played before; even willing to run "baddies", an imperial cohort.)

- Star Trek (based on new movie storyline)

- Starship Troopers (based on Heinlein books, not just the movies)

- Victorian Steampunk

- Cyberpunk (based on Gibson's neuromancer novel and similar works), not just a Shadowrun ripoff.

- even Septimus, based upon the limited intel we have in the quickstart guide.

- Cthulu dark detective style play, 1920 USA.

- League Of Extraordinary Gentleman (the graphic novels, not the cheesy film; although I liked the film it has barely anything to do with the graphic novels)

- Hellboy :)

- God And Country (graphic novels)

Just about anything.. I'm keen on book, movie, tv, comic book, graphic novel settings overall; so if you don't see something appealing above, reply with something you are keen on.

I'm cool with just about anything. My interests are extremely wide. I'd even be willing to be a guinea pig GM for anyone else's opend6 intentions.... whatever the majority of interested parties want.

You listed some good possiabilites and I could be open to a few of them.

One thing that I would like to try is using D6 playing a Sin City style game. I think that would be fun

Star Wars (perhaps a corner of the Galaxy far away from anything you've played before

Sounds cool.

Star Wars... even willing to run "baddies", an imperial cohort.)

Don't like games where players plad bad guys. Rogues and good guys only for me.

Star Trek (based on new movie storyline)

Intriguing.

Shall we try Star Trek then? It does not have to be a 'long' run campaign; unless it works out well and we chose to continue it. I could write an adventure length module, and we can go from there. Agree-able? It will take a couple weeks for me to get to the point where we can start.

We can try anything else that was appealing to you all after the first Star Trek adventure. I'd like to at least commit to a full single adventure (4-6 sessions) for anything we try. We could take a two week hiatus between adventures for a virtual breather.

Agree-able?

D6 Space would line up best I'd think. I will start compiling a first adventure for our use. An adventure, I'd run over 4 to 6 sessions, "every other" Friday evening, late in the evening 9:30PM to about 12:30AM session. We can take a break between adventures for folks to take a virtual breath on behalf of their signficant others (in case you are ball and chained like myself :)) I'd also be willing to stop GM'ing and play in someone else's game around the same time frame schedule wise; in case we want to rotate between GMs for any reason.

I assume this schedule would be ok with you all? Please advise.

If you can reply with the general type of the crew-member you'd prefer to run, we can go from there. Over time, I'll produce templates based upon what we collectively come up with for NPCs and player characters for posterity sake. I'd prefer we run crew-members on a single vessal ("wessal" for you Russian crewmembers amongst us). So keep that in mind for this first adventure at least. If you hate your characters after the adventure, I'm very open to folks trying new characters out later on. I'm a very casual/ fluid GM.

For this first hack at a star trek d6; I think it would be best for folks to make characters based upon the "create your own template" method; just so we can keep the templates for posterity sake. If you prefer to use the CP method, thats fine too. Whatever you all prefer.

Suggestion:

We could run a marine contingency on a science vessel. (allowing for combat, crew, and research oriented characters).

or

We could run a sister ship of Enterprise class. (similarly, there is a gambit of crew member types we could use).

Whichever way you'd like to go with it. Just reply first with the basic type of character you'd like to run then we can decide the best way to template it together.

If you are interested in this game, please private message me your Skype contact information; and a day/time within the next week you are free for a ~20minute technical test using Skype and http://rptools.net/

We'll make sure we can hear each other properly via Skype, but we will also walk through the basic usage of RPTools.net's online table-top application. Be sure that you have the latest Java loaded. Per their website "You must have at least Java 1.5 (also called Java 5) installed on your system to run these tools." I recommend you run it using webstart, which is via a link right off the Rptools site.

Voice Steps:

1.) Login to Skype. Wait for the GM to invite you into a voice conference with all the player characters.

Virtual Table-Top Steps:

1.) Go to -

http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=launch

2.) Click on the latest development Maptools link, which at the time of posting this is 1.3.b56

3.) Obtain server information from the GM via Sype. He will walk you through connecting, and then the basics of how maps will appear on the screen and how tokens work (small icons that represent your characters on the map).

More after I test everything out with willing (or un-willing muuuuhaahaah) subjects....

Just a couple of things. This sounds great. But at this point do we only have two players? If so I think it would be good to see if we can recruit more people before we get started so we have a better game.

Second, have you considered Openrpg over maptools? the reason I mention this is because it has private chat so you can send private messages to users as well as a map and built in dice roller.

Just a thought

Maptools has all of those functions:

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Introduction_to_Mapping

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Chat_Commands

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Dice_Expressions

I'd rather have folks just use their own dice, but they can use the in chat dice roller or an on-line roller of their choice. (I recommend http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20dicebag.htm

or

http://rpg.norwinter.com/konkret/ (set it to Use WEG's Wild Die)

I have to trust folks when dice rolling. Most dice rollers in chat are horribly non-random from what I've found. (for some odd reason or another). I will be using my own dice at home, and think everyone should also have a chance to do the same as players. The honor system prevails.

We can wait to start until we have 4 players or more.

Maptools has all of those functions:

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Introduction_to_Mapping

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Chat_Commands

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Dice_Expressions

I'd rather have folks just use their own dice, but they can use the in chat dice roller or an on-line roller of their choice. (I recommend http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20dicebag.htm

or

http://rpg.norwinter.com/konkret/ (set it to Use WEG's Wild Die)

I have to trust folks when dice rolling. Most dice rollers in chat are horribly non-random from what I've found. (for some odd reason or another). I will be using my own dice at home, and think everyone should also have a chance to do the same as players. The honor system prevails.

We can wait to start until we have 4 players or more.

I will check the tools out again but I was less then impressed with the offerings. Openrpg has all of this intergrated into one program.

Ironically, I was just checking out the openrpg page this very minute...

The one stumbling block I have in using openrpg, is it requires Python on the local system. I just find it has been easier with potential players (in the past) to use Java's webstart, as most Windows PCs have java already loaded in one form or another (most with 1.5 or later, which maptools utilizes). The fact that you can always go to the map tools website, and via one button click always have the latest beta build, is more appealing. I believe it will auto-sense what level of java you have loaded on your system, and automatically allow you to upgrade if need be. That is very appealing when working with players that would rather have one button solution.

Personally, I also like the TokenTools, which works seamlessly with MapTools. It allows you to very quickly make tokens for use in the mapping tool.

I've finally tried them both, and I can say rather hands down, that MapTools creates quicker results as far as map making then OpenRPG.

Here is a sample pic. This took only a minute or so to create:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tmetu_PByvfMmn1fdTegNw?feat=directlink

Make sure to hit the small magnifying glass, near top-right of the image area, to zoom in properly.

It would be best if I showed you in virtual person how it works. If you want to chat it up for 15 minutes some night, we can start a simple server with maptools and within minutes i can slap a decent looking map up on the fly. I think you'll see it's power quickly. It has a better layout, higher quality resulting images, just a little better across the board in each functional area. Not by leaps and bounds, but palpable.

This is not to say openrpg does not have similar functionality; I just feel that maptools overall produces higher quality maps quicker. I also like that it is java webstart based, and you can start it right from their website via one click as a user.

BUT, I've got openrpg loaded at least, so in case you ever GM a game and want to use it, im perfectly willing to use it as a player.

PS , the tokens are mostly from playing super heros games with my young son. :) And YES we've switched to D6 system for all our genres now. We just use the basic mechanics, and run with it just with the wound level system.

I've got my first child, a son, on the way. May I ask how old your son is, and when you introduced him to RPGs? Being a nerd, I think about stuff like that.

My son is 6 years old, about to be 7. I think 6 years old is about the minimum, depending on their maturity level. Just introduce them to the basic dice mechanic, and make it arena style. I let him pick what heros and villains we will play from the plethora of them listed at www.classicmarvelforever.com. Then I usually throw into an arena about 3 on 3. I just convert their powers to a relative D level for D6. (just comparative to the other characters that were chosen). And then, we have at it gladiator style. I've introduced very small interactive elements. "What do you say now?" or "How does your character react to this?" Keep it very simple. You'd be surprised how much of a teaching tool role-playing can be. I recommend it for any parent; just tone down the death and blood considerably, keep the mechanics to basic conflict resolution, but work in math, science, whatever you can chat up during the interaction. "How will your hero get the keys on the floor outside your cell? Try and use your imagination." Basic logic tests abound. I've really enjoyed it. And of course, hes a great guinea pig for new mechanics :) I just don't overdo it.

As to how complex you can get in designing campaign "frameworks" within the MapTools app... look at this... wowzers..

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2836/002nlb.jpg

You can create campaign macros such as seen in that one window; where a great deal of automatic rolling can occur. I've only scraped the top of the barrel as far as what this puppy can do. I think you will find rather quickly it is incredibly powerful.

I still have had no queries from my rpg.net thread. If someone ventures in and starts the interest up again on this, that's cool; but until then - I'm assuming this is a 'no go' ; meaning I'm at least stopping work on a module based in J.J. Abrams Star Trek 'verse and moving on to other projects. IF anyone does their own online weekly or bi-weekly chat based game - and is successful at getting 4 or more folks involved, please PM me; I'm very interested in taking part in one, using whatever tools you lean towards.

I'm willing to run just about anything. If we can get more people involved by choosing another setting, I'm all for it. So if you are reading this, and have a hankering for a given movie, comic book, novel, or other setting you'd like to play D6 in on-line with a few folks here, reply and we'll tally requests to come up with a pick that the most folks will want to play in. I'm strangely tempted now to run a mecha based one based on the other thread of ideas here at the site. That's just another suggestion to add to the list I originally provided. I'm just looking for creating a virtual table-top group for the long haul; one which we can easily switch GMs and settings at will for. A nice casual meet every other week group to play this awesome system. Also, an offer to you directly game guy, but I'd even be willing to guinea pig a spy game for sandboxing your ideas. HELL, if not enough people want to play a full series of adventures, we could even use this as an opportunity to sandbox play in any of our open6d potential offerings, in single or two session test runs. (of course with detail, and taken seriously but in a casual atmosphere :))

Perhaps we could even do a run of Septimus, once it becomes available. I'll try again after it's release to check on interests. But if in interim enough people wonder in and agree upon a setting, I'm also game.

Perhaps we could even do a run of Septimus, once it becomes available. I'll try again after it's release to check on interests. But if in interim enough people wonder in and agree upon a setting, I'm also game.

Thats possible as well. In the mean time I am going to try to come up with some other ideas for games