D6 Online 3.0
Catstacker

High Lords Rules

Ravagons? Will the highly esteemed Gaunt Man grant us other High Lords who are not so fortunate grant the use of some of his Ravagons as in the original invasion?

Ravagons? Will the highly esteemed Gaunt Man grant us other High Lords who are not so fortunate grant the use of some of his Ravagons as in the original invasion?

If they're available to me, I'd only be too happy to share them with you!

Just like the Gospog.

I also look forward to an "advance operative" rule, since it makes far more sense for me to use this route to establish a subsidiary company in a new area with a few thousand workers and business advisors, rather than go full force with armies. Armies or not really Marketplace's thing.

Gospog, I believe, are very much antithetical to Marketplace tactics. About the only thing I could see doing, is dropping a small army of Gospog in new areas, and then quickly following it up with a new "environmental cleanup" company to actually go through an eliminate the gospog WE sent in.

Not that I want to throw more work on the GM, it just seems that gospog are being thrown up as the linchpin of an expansion army and the is not the way it actually worked. Gospog were after little better than a minor help early on, but gospog, remember, are not a standard tool of a High Lord. They were Gaunt Man's tools and had tricked everyone, I mean gave everyone those Gospog to help with this and only thins invasion. Many of us have carried out several invasion prior to this one with out use of gospog and would rather not use them now. I don't exactly trust that sunken eye'd bastard.

*gasp*

Sir, you cut me to the quick!

(However, don't forget the "Malreauz Double Blind", where you establish a bad guy, such as demons or Gospog, then send in your own force to "Stablize the region" and, once they're there, well, some welcomes are made for overstayin'.)

*gasp*

Sir, you cut me to the quick!

(However, don't forget the "Malreauz Double Blind", where you establish a bad guy, such as demons or Gospog, then send in your own force to "Stablize the region" and, once they're there, well, some welcomes are made for overstayin'.)

Oh, please forgive my offense, my esteemed colleague. I simply don't trust anyone with a contract in hand. Besides, you ways are a little strange to my more traditional sensabilities. Still, I believe myself a adaptable fellow and I'm certain that I can find a source of profit even in your ... eccentric manner of living?

Forget? Certainly not. I, in fact, mentioned just that in the post just prior to the one you are commenting on.

As you undoubtedly shake your head and question why you started this thing, and as you consider new forces that can be brought to bare against our unsuspecting targets, I hope that'll you consider establishing either covert ops personal, or rules for covert operations of existing armies and personnel. This very thing is quite integral to some of our natures, and might allow us to take action against targets a little further away than our expansion fronts would suggest, all the while providing a degree of protection from discovery.

After all, so of don't exist at all, remember?

Not that I want to throw more work on the GM, it just seems that gospog are being thrown up as the linchpin of an expansion army and the is not the way it actually worked. Gospog were after little better than a minor help early on, but gospog, remember, are not a standard tool of a High Lord. They were Gaunt Man's tools and had tricked everyone, I mean gave everyone those Gospog to help with this and only thins invasion. Many of us have carried out several invasion prior to this one with out use of gospog and would rather not use them now. I don't exactly trust that sunken eye'd bastard.

I have no problem using tools of another origin than Aysle. After all, I am from another realm myself. And I would never question the intentions of the Gaunt Man. As we all do, he strives for this invasion to be a success. If too many of us fail, we all are doomed.

The Plague

((( Hey, Catstacker. Under teh base rules, they cap a high Lord at creatnig 3 Stelae a month. Creating 3 a week looks to be a lightning fast expansion, but, we don't have the large stockpile that the official High Lords had either. Would 3 every other week (Or 6 a month, either way) be an acceptable number instead? Or will it be uncapped creation? (Woo hoo, 20+ Stelae a week, here I come!)))

Ravagons?

Those are a part of Orrorsh as far as I'm concerned. I doubt that you'll ever have enough lieutenants to lend to other High Lords, and that was a weak plot line in the novel trilogy that was never explored outside of the Living Land anyway.

I also look forward to an "advance operative" rule, since it makes far more sense for me to use this route to establish a subsidiary company in a new area with a few thousand workers and business advisors, rather than go full force with armies. Armies or not really Marketplace's thing.

Gospog, I believe, are very much antithetical to Marketplace tactics. About the only thing I could see doing, is dropping a small army of Gospog in new areas, and then quickly following it up with a new "environmental cleanup" company to actually go through an eliminate the gospog WE sent in.

Try not to think of "Armies" as large military divisions, but as groups with a central organization, various capabilities, and enough members to activate stelae when they move into new territory. They could just as easily be a horde of refugees, or a convoy of traders, or a general swarming of the populace. "Army" was just the easiest way for me to describe them, a holdover from Risk which was a major inspiration for this game. Each High Lord is free to describe each of their armies as having whatever appearance and attributes that they want. The only stats that they need to have is their price in P-energy, and their relative capabilities depending which reality they're in. Feel free to have armies dressed in business uniform wielding cellphones, contracts, and cash if that's how your invasion goes.

Similarly, gospog can look like whatever you like, after the first planting. I prefer to think of gospog as being creations of the Darkness Devices rather than of the Gaunt Man, like they're the DD's ideal citizens because they're so much more obedient than these unruly living things. So the first planting are the shambling undead plants, and the rest of the plantings are up to each High Lord's imagination, as is how to use them. Dismissing them as plant-zombies is ignoring their stats, and maybe that's why they were under-used in the original invasion. Think of them instead as totally obedient workers who can use a variety of tools and work all three shifts without sleeping or needing to be paid. The Gaunt Man used the second planting as farmers, and you might also want to keep the early plantings as guards and mulchers while you wait for the more useful plantings to emerge.

((( Hey, Catstacker. Under the base rules, they cap a high Lord at creating 3 Stelae a month. Creating 3 a week looks to be a lightning fast expansion, but, we don't have the large stockpile that the official High Lords had either. Would 3 every other week (Or 6 a month, either way) be an acceptable number instead? Or will it be uncapped creation? (Woo hoo, 20+ Stelae a week, here I come!)))

The second week, you couldn't create more than 4 stelae, but as the invasion progresses the P-energy collected should increase exponentially as your realm increases in size, and so the number of stelae you could create, and so on. That's why I created a set amount of P-energy for the second week, or else some High Lords could take off faster than others, and be hard to catch up with.

On the other hand, the fastest growing realm is the most likely to be interfered with by its competitors.

I do not understand much of these Gospogs you are all speaking of, but I have creatures of my own that can be created from corpses. So many people look at a corpse as a singular thing and lose track of the biomass its components provide. Once properly rendered that biomass can be turned to all kinds of uses.

Try not to think of "Armies" as large military divisions, but as groups with a central organization, various capabilities, and enough members to activate stelae when they move into new territory. They could just as easily be a horde of refugees, or a convoy of traders, or a general swarming of the populace. "Army" was just the easiest way for me to describe them, a holdover from Risk which was a major inspiration for this game. Each High Lord is free to describe each of their armies as having whatever appearance and attributes that they want. The only stats that they need to have is their price in P-energy, and their relative capabilities depending which reality they're in. Feel free to have armies dressed in business uniform wielding cellphones, contracts, and cash if that's how your invasion goes.

Similarly, gospog can look like whatever you like, after the first planting. I prefer to think of gospog as being creations of the Darkness Devices rather than of the Gaunt Man, like they're the DD's ideal citizens because they're so much more obedient than these unruly living things. So the first planting are the shambling undead plants, and the rest of the plantings are up to each High Lord's imagination, as is how to use them. Dismissing them as plant-zombies is ignoring their stats, and maybe that's why they were under-used in the original invasion. Think of them instead as totally obedient workers who can use a variety of tools and work all three shifts without sleeping or needing to be paid. The Gaunt Man used the second planting as farmers, and you might also want to keep the early plantings as guards and mulchers while you wait for the more useful plantings to emerge.

It still doesn't really address specialized "troops" made to perform covert operations. I understand that you envisioned a Risk style army game as designed, but some of us don't use armies. I'm not using armies in the "helmet and machine guns" form of the word, but in the "masses of people" form. Again, it also assumes that we'll take a frontal approach to conquest, rather than a undetectable (albeit slower) nibbling away at the infrastruction of an area. If we don't not have the ability to using the strengths build around our reality this because... well... Risk.

There is an important step in the mechanism of invasion, where at least 25,000 members of the invading reality must cross over the storm boundary to activate the new stelae and extend their borders. This doesn't have to be a fighting force, though that helps if the commander of the forces watching the boundary has orders to shoot on sight. If you don't want to call these units of 25,000+ "Armies" please call them whatever you want so long as the naming is consistent, as I am easily confused.:)

I don't have the processing skills to handle a diffusive method of invasion, where you could gradually trickle your invaders over the border until the new zone flips to your reality, and so "Armies" need to be definite units. I didn't even give the Special Operations Forces the numbers needed to flip a zone, and I've clarified that the Gospog don't either. So "Armies" or whatever are an important part of this game.

I've also clarified the rules I posted earlier to include the Special Operations Forces, I've elaborated on how missions work, and I've boosted the value of Armies to make them better without improvements. If you have any more questions, please bring them up, because I'd rather not revise the rules any more after June 15.

Would it be better if I renamed "Armies" into "Corps"? That better describes the size of the forces, and can also suggest that their prime usefulness is in numbers of bodies.

No, "Armies" still works. The covops groups are what several of us needed, tho... turning Core Earthers into our reality with a soft touch is *much* more useful than simple trottnig 50,000 guys across a border. Slower, sure, but hey.

I am a bit of a loss now. I can't find the maps you were talking about. Have you already installed a thread with maps which I just can't find or was this only planned?

Can I use the ruler on Google Earth instead of Google Maps for measuring stelae distances or does this ruler show real world distances incorporating height levels?

I've got the main, public map on the Core Earth thread to show Maelstrom bridges, storm fronts, and armies. Send me your email address and I'll add you as a collaborator. You can make your own map to track your stelae and other hidden resources, just add my email so I can see it: n-1@live.ca

Or I can make that map for you, and then all you have to do is tell me the locations of your new moves and missions. I just downloaded Google Earth, so I'll give that a try. If you want to send me your maps using that instead, that's cool, just remember that you still have to make a public update of your invasion's progress on your cosm's thread if you want to qualify for a bonus.

If you want to send me your maps using that instead, that's cool, just remember that you still have to make a public update of your invasion's progress on your cosm's thread if you want to qualify for a bonus.

I am still not absolutely sure how the game is supposed to work. Is it OK if I wait with my first report till the official start on June 15th or should I report first to be eligible for bonuses?

Do I have to make my first moves before June 15th?

Another question on a different note, can armies move/plant stelae/defend territory on the turn they are created or do they take the whole turn to create and appear at the beginning of the next turn?

Units can move and be assigned missions the week that they are created, but if you move armies outside your realm's borders, then they must stop while the other side has a chance to respond. Effectively, all actions take a week to perform, but you can anticipate the next action in the description if you like, so long as you understand that it is conditional upon non-interference by your competitors.

For example, you could write "Embedded within the column of refugees are third-planting gospog that have been grown to look like natives of this world, so that after they cross the border they can secretly pursue the rumors of stormers using a legendary sword to destroy stelae, annihiliate them when found, and bring the sword back." Since you haven't given away the exact location of the gospog, it's suitable for public viewing (though it is one clunker of a run-on sentence:rolleyes:) You can move the gospog across the border on your private map to wherever you'd like to begin the search (since they move like Special Ops,) and I'll start rolling to see how the search goes that week. However, even if the rolls and the cards go great and all those objectives are realized in one week (it would probably take at least 2,) the gospog wouldn't return with the sword until 2 weeks after that post, because after the first week another High Lord might get a private message that says something like, "Your lieutenant reports that gospog attacked stormers and seized an ancient sword, and requests instructions," and that High Lord would have that week to tell the lieutenant to try and get the sword, or follow the gospog, or do something else unrelated.

Defending territory and watching for covert ops is automatic whenever a unit is nearby, and happens as soon as a unit is created. Planting stelae isn't a mission that you give to your units. I figure that stelae are so valuable and important (especially in the official Torg rules, where only a few can be prepared every month,) that High Lords wouldn't walk them in with a few lizards and a stalenger to guard them. They'd defend them with as much resources as they could afford, and so there won't be situations like in the novel trilogy where the Soviet psychic bureau whisked in and blew up the stelae with grenades moments before the Tharkold bridge descended. In this game, Soviet psychic bureau was privatized and High Lords can buy a stelae and an army, place the stelae, and move the new army in to expand the realm all in a single week. Of course, if any stormers are lucky enough to be near the location of the planted stelae, they could possibly (though not likely) uproot the stelae before it was energized that week.

I am still not absolutely sure how the game is supposed to work. Is it OK if I wait with my first report till the official start on June 15th or should I report first to be eligible for bonuses?

Do I have to make my first moves before June 15th?

Your report doesn't have to contain any moves at all, if you aren't moving anything. Read the other High Lord's entries on their threads, and you'll see a great variety of things that they've chosen to describe about their realms, and the game has barely begun. It's OK if you don't have anything that you'd like to say any week, the only thing you lose is entry into a lottery for a bonus that might not even be a very good one that week (they vary considerably, and I decide what they'll be before the week begins.) On the other hand, you only have to write one sentence to be eligible for that lottery, which seems a small price to pay.