Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catstacker

The invasion begins June 15

72 posts in this topic

Yeah, took me a few tries to find it too.

The Core Earth map has the first moves from Magna Verita on, so he kicked off at least.

Oh good! I was worried that I was going to have to change gears and march up the NE coast of the US. And that would have been really, really bad. New York, DC, Philly, Boston... these places are *teaming* with hardpoints, Eternity Shards, and stormers and I, for one, want nothing to do with 'em if possible. Some *seriously* dangerous opposition up there.

If you log in to your google account (or create one with the same email address / add the email address you gave to Catstacker) you might be able to find it from 'My maps' section in Google maps.

Yeah, I don't have Google. I never really liked the site. (Weird, but true!).

(edit)

Looks like he's done some or Turn 2 already. I see a third army down in Souther America, and bigger territory, while the Living Land is pushing *4*, including one in france via the Chunnel! Oh, now that's BALLSY.

Edited by Wakshaani

I just found out what happened to the forums today, and am trying to discover what information I've lost, which includes all my records of previous PMs. Of course I had very sincere intentions of backing that information up eventually. Fortunately, I had been adding all that information to the maps as I got them, so I don't think I lost this week's instructions. If something looks out of place on the map, let me know! I'll extend the deadline for submissions a little, so that everyone can confirm that their intentions have gone forward, and I'll try to have the Monday update ready by Tuesday so that the invasion doesn't suffer any delays.

A reminder to everyone: whenever you buy units with your P-points, you can also move them and give them missions that same week.

I've been doing basically all of my instructions through the map, but I'll PM you if you need any more detail.

I just found out what happened to the forums today, and am trying to discover what information I've lost, which includes all my records of previous PMs. Of course I had very sincere intentions of backing that information up eventually. Fortunately, I had been adding all that information to the maps as I got them, so I don't think I lost this week's instructions. If something looks out of place on the map, let me know! I'll extend the deadline for submissions a little, so that everyone can confirm that their intentions have gone forward, and I'll try to have the Monday update ready by Tuesday so that the invasion doesn't suffer any delays.

A reminder to everyone: whenever you buy units with your P-points, you can also move them and give them missions that same week.

All of my stuff is saved to computer as well as sent in, so, if you need anything, just holler and I'll drop it in.

Is anyone else not seeing anything at all on the Core Earth map? Or is that just me?

I'm seeing all the positions after 2 weeks of attacking. Week 3's not running yet, obviously. :)

Week 2 as it should be.

And man, just *look* at Europe! Can you imagine what it'd look like if Punjab hadn't reloacted to New York at the last minute? Yeesh.

Africa and Australia are both startlingly clear, meanwhile. Who'll be the first to break for one of them, you think? Nile for Egypt would seem a no-brainer, but he's got gobs of room to spreasd out in. Africa's jungles have to look yummy to the biomass-hungry Star Sphere, and I confess that Africa has caught my own eye, if only a bit.

But I don't know who'll be the first to take a big ol' chomp.

Eyeballing the map, it looks as though the Living Land is off to an early start, with the biggest territory and four armies, followed by I *think* the Nile, who has three armies, and Aysle, with four armies but smaller territory ... I *think*. The way Aysle and the Living Land are near overlapping, it's a touch hard toknow where one ends and teh other begins.

The Star Spehere's at three armies and a good size, while the Cyberpapacy makes some GREAT gains with only two.

I'm next with two armies but teh tiniest territory (D'oh! Stupid islands!) while 3327 is cunningly waiting his chance. Or maybe he's already here and we don't know it. Darn ninjas!

Originally posted by Hellsreach: I wonder if, true to Nippon form, I can reduce my possibility intake to 75% and almost eliminate all storm activity along my borders, keeping my expansion almost non detectable?

Clever move. Marketplace looks non-existent but I am sure 3327 made the greatest gains. After all he is in the region with the highest population. I will have to send some stormers there to gain information.

The Plague.

A question for Catstacker: Could you post an image of the map each week in addition to the interactive map? So that we can see how the war progressed each week.

Good plan Stormchild. To save Catstacker a little book keeping I can volunteer to keep track of the map week by week.

It'd just be a matter of either saving and hosting a 'print screen' of the zoomed out world map, or of copying/exporting the map and embedding an image (though that's probably more detail than is necessary).

Clever move. Marketplace looks non-existent but I am sure 3327 made the greatest gains. After all he is in the region with the highest population. I will have to send some stormers there to gain information.

The Plague.

Don't get trapped into the population angle. There's a bit of a cap on how much energy can be drained! There needs to be at least 25,000 believers in a bordered zone, but you can't drain from it when only 10% of the zone is left unconverted. Beyond that, having 100,000, a million, or ten million in a single zone produces the same level of Possibility Energy! So, you want thickness, but not *too* much. A single big city and a gob of rural area, for example, is efficient, and you can put a tight triangle around just a city and a larger one around the outskirts, drawing energy from both and providing a nice buffer in case some Storm Kinghts happen along and crumble a zone.

Backup Stelae are *way* important. (See also: Operation: Central Fire).

For thr record, a Pure Zone is useless for P-Energy after 1 year (When 93% of the population is transformed!) while a Dominant Are is good for five! Pure areas are safer and generate energy faster, Dominant areas give you energy for a much, much longer time.

(See page 82-86 of the basic Torg rulebook.)

The BIG advantage of the thick populations is that more people = more Stormers, and most Stormers work for us, to help replentish bodies lost in warfare. Of course, this also means more Stormers working *against* you, so, there's bad with the good. New York City, with a population of 8.3 million will create around 83 Stormers just in the first wave (Core Earth is notorious for NEW Stormers popping up down the line, something that doesn't happen in other realities) ... 83 of the little pests! All sneaking around, banding together, trying to foil all your plots and getting in your hair ... feh. We really need to invent some kind of spray to deal with that.

I love Stormers. They are useful for so many things. Even after death.

The Plague

I've finally crunched all the numbers for last week, and updated your maps to show the populations within your stelae zones. It took a long time to estimate the populations within the zones, but translating into values automatically rounded the figures up, so I don't think I've underestimated anywhere, but if you think you've been cheated of victims let me know. I might have made some mistakes since I've lost my record of your first two weeks of maneuvers, but if so then at least I've been equally unfair to everybody;)

If you're wondering what the "Dead" numbers listed in the zones mean, they're a measure of how much destruction has gone on in the area due to conflict, mixed zones, and gospog planting. They don't reduce how much P-energy you're collecting out of the area, though they will eventually reduce the population enough so that you can't collect any more energy from that zone.

I've finally crunched all the numbers for last week, and updated your maps to show the populations within your stelae zones. It took a long time to estimate the populations within the zones, but translating into values automatically rounded the figures up, so I don't think I've underestimated anywhere, but if you think you've been cheated of victims let me know. I might have made some mistakes since I've lost my record of your first two weeks of maneuvers, but if so then at least I've been equally unfair to everybody;)

If you're wondering what the "Dead" numbers listed in the zones mean, they're a measure of how much destruction has gone on in the area due to conflict, mixed zones, and gospog planting. They don't reduce how much P-energy you're collecting out of the area, though they will eventually reduce the population enough so that you can't collect any more energy from that zone.

Er, uhm.

*blush*

Would you mind re-sending me the information for how to see my personal map? Got lost in the shuffle between oldsite and newsite.

*sigh*

Technology is haaard.

Great work Catstacker.

I never thought Google maps and Google earth could make Torg that much more interesting. And I only begin to imagine how much work you put into this.

Just to make your job even harder, would it be possible to give us a benchmark, maybe the average population per zone, average death toll per zone and average transformed per zone so we can make an educated guess on where we stand?

Thank you,

Stormchild, aka the Plague

I can't see the death toll on mine, sadly. I blame my inexperience with Google. :(

I was really tempted this week to tell what the high and low marks for possibilities earned this week were, but I decided against it. The most important thing to do at this stage of the game is to continue your invasion to its utmost. There isn't any value in worrying about whether you're ahead or behind this early in the game. As the game progresses, the leader of the pack should become apparent, and then the other High Lords will have to overcome their fear and desire to play the long game. The main map is there to give you an estimate of the size of your opponents' boundaries and number of troops, and the rest is up to you.

I can tell you that the difference between the greatest and the least amount of P-energy was 26 points this week, which is double the award for the first week, so you know that the game is starting to warm up. I'm not going to tell you the difference every week, because that number will probably diverge even more as we progress. But as I've said before, this game isn't a footrace. It's intirely possible (in theory) that the High Lord with the smallest realm could discover how to make the possibility-sorting device, and become Torg while the others are fighting among themselves over the surface of the Earth.

All the zones are rated 1 Death for flipping under occupation, and 2 Deaths if they were mixed reality, or had a major battle fought on them, or were harvested for gospog planting. Unlike the population and transformed values, the Death number is just a tally for me to track how violent that zone has been, so that I can track how likely the population has been trying to get away. No one wants to live in a war zone.

I cannot see the numbers either unfortunately.

Also, are we going to be alerted as to who has won the rewards or will that be private information?

That's odd, I've added the statistics to the information listed on the polygons defining the stelae zones. You should be able to see them on your map, but if you don't I can always send you a specific email of your realm's disposition.

I don't think that I should tell the other players what the bonuses were each week. Some weeks' bonuses are better than others, depending on how much the players needed them, and so far they haven't been very powerful so that they don't unbalance the game early on. I decided the bonuses for the first two months before the game had begun so that I wouldn't be biased beyond choosing one of the winners each week.

Next week's bonus will be useful, so you'll want to make sure you make a contribution this week. Dyschunky has made his army markers on the Core Earth map look like tanks!

A question for Catstacker: Could you post an image of the map each week in addition to the interactive map? So that we can see how the war progressed each week.

Sorry I neglected to answer this before. Dyschunky has offered to do it, and I'm glad to delegate it to him, and wish him good luck. With the grand map of the world, it's hard to see a difference in the realms from week to week since they're covered in storms. And if there are seven separate realm maps every week, then a lot of space will be taken up for the few people interested. I tried in the beginning to keep a record in Google Earth, with the aim of being able to produce a tour of the invasion from beginning to end, but increasing responsibilities made me abandon that ambition.

If I were to run this game again, I would make my own world map in Photoshop, and then track all the invasions as layers, and just send you jpegs of your realms every week that you could edit and send back to me. Google maps seemed like a good idea in the beginning because it would let people edit their own maps and I'd already have them together, but when I try to view more than one map in Google, it gets bogged down by all the placemarks and makes zooming a bitch. But we've started, and I'm an ox; I'd rather keep pulling forward than stop and look back to see how well I've done.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0