D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Catstacker

The invasion begins June 15

Thank you all for coming. An undefended cosm has been discovered that is so rich in possibility energy that any one invading reality would be destroyed by the maelstrom's backlash. So a number of High Lords will simultaneously invade this cosm, called Earth, to spread the backlash between them, and siphon off the precious stuff of reality.

The invaders willing to participate thus far are:

Slayer Dragonwing as The Faceless King, High Lord of the Star Sphere

Stormchild as The Plague, High Lord of Aysle

Wakshaani as The Gaunt Man, High Lord of Orrorsh

Dyschunky as Pharoah Mobius, High Lord of the Nile Empire

Disko Derek as Baruk Kaah, High Lord of Takta Ker

Punjab as his holiness Pope Jean Malraux I, High Lord of Magna Verita

Hellsreach as 3327, High Lord of Marketplace

Each invading reality gets its own thread to describe itself to its black heart's content, with updates expected every Monday to keep the invasion moving forward.

This thread is for introductory questions, links, and bidding on starting locations. Starting June 8, invaders will be able to bid for the location on Earth they want to land their first maelstrom bridge. Maelstrom bridges cannot be closer than 200 kilometers from one another, and if the High Lords are able to cooperate, they should be able to simple declare their favourite spot. However, if the High Lords are already feeling contentious, or if someone else has already called their choice spot, they can bid up for that spot by calling it, and adding +1. For example, if one High Lord picked Kyoto, and another wanted to invade Japan instead, he could pick Osaka +1, preempting the first bidder. The first could respond with Kyoto +2 (or Nagoya +2, etc.) or pick another location at the basic price. He could pick Soeul just to nerf his competition's long-term plans...

Hopefully all bidding will be settled by June 15, and the invasion can begin. All High Lords will begin with the same amount of resources: 1 maelstrom bridge, 7 stelae, 2 armies, and 1 lieutenant. On week 2, all High Lords will get the same amount of p-energy (13 points) minus the amount they bid up for their choice of invasion locations. The p-energy points can be used to build more resources, or can be saved in the quest to become Torg and win the game.

I'll post all the rules ASAP.

sounds good.

...and I will be playing the cosmverse's most paranoid Frenchman, the one and only Pope Jean Malraux I. But you can call me His Holiness.

Could you please post exactly how Maelstrom Bridges, Stelae, armies, etc will work in this game? I have played Torg before but never really had the actual larger events explained to me, I could use a primer.

Please verify whether you made a typo. You mentioned that no bridge could be within 200km of another. Does that mean your own bridges, or bridges of foreign realities. If the latter, that would be unlikely because stelae borders are usually close to their 500km limit.

It's not a typo. I agree that bridges aren't likely to be as close as 200km to one another, and it would probably be a waste of resources to do so. In the original invasion, Uthorion placed bridges that close together, so I made it allowable. I don't want to hamper the player's designs too much, so if that's what they want to do, we'll see how it works out. And if two players want to have their bridgeheads 201km apart, the nameless one will enjoy the resulting destruction.Hijack

Please verify whether you made a typo. You mentioned that no bridge could be within 200km of another. Does that mean your own bridges, or bridges of foreign realities. If the latter, that would be unlikely because stelae borders are usually close to their 500km limit.

HR,

You playing 3327?

I've posted separate threads for the High Lords to post descriptions of their cosms and invasions. Keeping them separate should make the invasions easier to follow week to week. It isn't necessary to post there before June 15, but players eager to begin can show off a little if they like, and it never hurts to write ahead of deadline, just in case.

Just so you know, between June 19 and 29 I'll be outside of Core Earth, investigating a potential invasion of a Disney World Cosm, but I still may be able to post at least once or twice via my advanced communications technologies.

Awesome. Each week's update shouldn't take much time, and that's what I like about play-by-post; you participate how & as much as you like, and when you can. And in this game, even if you can't post every week, your game still continues and you'll still collect P-energy. You just won't be eligible for a bonus that week.

It looks like we're at seven High Lords now, and bidding for starting locations will begin in less than a week, so perhaps you should just ask this other High Lord for advice for your invasion. At this point, Core Earth is certainly doomed, and why would you want to split your possibility energy with anyone else?

And I forgot to answer an earlier question of yours, Slayer. Yes, bidding should be by thread since the first claim gets the cheapest price, and then subsequent bidders can either raise their price or choose somewhere else. Hopefully bidding will be quick so that further decisions about stelae placement can be made before the 15th.

To all High Lords: I've posted a thread to show the map of Core Earth, ripe for the plucking, which will be viewable by everyone. If High Lords want to collaborate on this map, they should send me their email address and I can add them. Secret items such as stelae, lieutenant, or gospog field locations should be put on separate maps that only they and I can view.

To all Economic Reformers:

To take advantage of the growing economic strength of the area, agents of Marketplace are currently investigating the possibility of establishing an important subsidiary corporation within the Nanjing metropolitan area. This will allow us access to important human resource assets, access to one of China's most important commercial districts (Shanghai), port access and the opportunity for expansion throughout Eastern and South Eastern China. We believe this could be an important boon to the growing Chinese economy, will bring numerous jobs to the area and will allow us to provide valuable conflict relief services throughout Asia and the Pacific islands.

Marketplace would like to count on the support of any other prospective developers. We've believe that aggressive competitive practices can be inefficient and unneccesarily costly to all business and economic reformers, and could hamper our individual attempts to improve on our new areas of expansion. Marketplace would like to continue to utilize our capital, human, and energy resources in establishing a strong business infrastructure in China without the presence of oppressive competition, rather than utilizing those resources hinder in profit making capabilities of any other economic and social reformers, but we have contingencies in place to do just that, should our business plan be threatened by overzealous expansion.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter, and I wish everyone a long life and great profits.

(Wicked!)

Um..Ahem, Thank you for your interest, sir, I'm sure that many people are intersted in your products, but the policy of this site is that non-WEG advertisments should go in the Bulletin Board area. But the administrator says he can make an exception for an illustrious personage as yourself, which has nothing to do with that club membership you gave him for his birthday. A thread for you to showcase Marketplace's fine products and services has been created in this area.

I'm sure I don't have to remind a businessman of your experience about the risks involved with revealing your stock strategy before the market has opened, in this case on June 8th, but it is heartening to know that your fine company is interested, like many others, with Asia's market potential.

Is it possible to place Stelaes in water or are they necessarily land-based? What if the water is shallow, a platform can be built or the Stelae is floating but anchored? Is placing a Stelae on the continental shelf an option? The Faceless King must know in order to formulate his battle plans.

In another note, I have made available an idea of what fate lies in store for those who oppose the might of the Faceless King. Soon all inhabitants of this "Core Earth" will tremble at the mere mention of his name!

Long live the Faceless Court!

Long live the Faceless King!

In traditional Torg mythos stelae could be placed under water. It was fairly common, and actually a good way to defend against tampering.

I've checked the R&E on stelae distances, and since they have a vertical range of 15km (or more,) there shouldn't be any negative effect on placing your stelae in the deepest water or deep beneath the Earth, unless there is some physical resistance to the stelae connections. I'm posting a poll on the Torg Discussion forum to see what others think.

Whoa Nelly, bids aren't due till Monday (8th June)!

You don't want to forewarn the Czechs and give them an opportunity to fox your plans with some sort of Detecto-stel gizmo (just as an example) and a shovel.

That is, unless it's a bluff...

Hijack

Yes, please, bidding doesn't start until June 8th! Though, of course from Germany your June 8th starts sooner than for the players in the Western Hemisphere, and so you're likely to get first pick anyway, to keep the bid tracking straight I can only count bids that begin on June 8th. You're still likely to get Prague, but you don't know if another player is willing to also bid for it just to make you pay more.

I am currently possessing a body that is struggling against my will. When I was distracted formulating my plans, the former persona broke through and typed a message. But I gain more control every day.

Okay, High Lords can now declare which starting location they'd like, or up-bid for locations that someone else has already declared. Players can change always choose a different location after they've seen the other players' spots, preference given to the first to declare and the highest bid, and hopefully everyone will have their starting spot picked this week so that we can begin June 15.

Sign in to follow this