D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
imported_Magman

Best Comic Movie

Which do you think is the best comic to movie yet? Since there are only 10 options in the polls, and there are dozens of movies to list, I had to be selective. For spider and others where there are multiple films, just group them as a whole and such.

Well, for me, I've got to go with the original Superman movie with Christopher Reeve. While other movies might have more action and other movies might be slightly better plot oriented, I find that Superman encompassed the whole feeling of the comics, had the correct person for Superman, and had such an awesome musical score to go with it that it makes it a complete package.

I think what movie people think of depends entirely upon their age. I also think, when I hear "Batman", the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton as Batman...not the re-booted version with Christian Bale.

Interesting poll! I chose Iron Man, even though there were a lot of other good competitors in the running, primarily because (for instance, in the case of the other movies in the poll) I'd been a fan of Spiderman, as well as Superman, Batman, and the Watchmen, for a long time - when the movies done well, you leave thinking "they did a really good job bringing that character to the screen." In the case of Iron Man, though, I always thought that Iron Man was sort of an "also ran" in the Marvel line-up, and thought there was a lot in the concept that was sort of silly and improbable. I know we're talking about superheroes here, but it just didn't much appeal to me.

After seeing Iron Man, though, with the incredible work Stan Winston and the design team did on the technology, and Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of Tony Stark, suddenly (to me) Iron Man transcended its origins and became awesome. To me, that's a step beyond just taking an awesome character and faithfully bringing it to the silver screen. So, I'm one of two votes for Iron Man, and that's why. If they make more Iron Man movies, I'm there opening day. Can't necessarily say that about any of the others.

When I read Batman in the poll choices I definetely thought of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, even though I remember going to see the Michael Keaton Batman in theaters. To me the new ones are so superior that I forget about the old ones.

Generally I'd rank them like this:

Batman Begins/The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Spider-Man 1 & 2

X-Men 1 & 2

Incredible Hulk

Superman 1

Spider-Man 3

X-Men 3

Then pretty much the rest of them. Just my thoughts.

At the moment I would have to pick the new Dragonball movie (hey, manga is a type of comic right?), it bears almost no relation to the source material but very fun

Next I think would be Iron Man, but, also enjoyed Spiderman 1 and Daredevil and the first (of the recent) Fantastic Four movies pretty well

I Chose Watchmen.

There are several that could be on the list if there were room

Blade

Constantine AKA Hellblazer

Ghost Rider

Men in Black

Thirty Days of Night

Wanted

Strom Riders

Hellboy

Catwoman

History of Violence

I know theres more but my mind fails me

I loved V for Vendetta, and Watchmen certainly has its merits as a movie, but I seperate them in my thinking from the more traditional "superhero" comic book movies. I was a big comic book collector in my childhood in the 80's, mostly superhero books. I collected mainly Marvel and DC (Warner Brothers), and overall DC was my favorite.

And since the series were lumped together in the poll, I would have also lumped Wolverine with X-Men. But I'm not going to answer by series anyway, because I break it down per movie...

When the first Spider-Man came out, I lauded it as the greatest superhero movie of all time (IMO). It still may be. In my childhood, I was a huge fan of Marvel Tales which reprinted the original 60's The Amazing Spider-Man. Green Goblin, Doc Oc, Sandman, etc. Spider-Man 2 is almost as good as the first. I even liked Spider-Man 3 but it further stretches a really good thing thinner.

But since Batman Begins came out, I've been pondering if I like that as much as the original Spider-Man. Dark Knight is up there too. In fact, I may just have to watch Dark Knight again sometimes soon.

As far as the original Batman, the first one is the only one really worthy of discussion. Good for the time, but not up to par with the more modern superhero movies. And I think Michael Keaton is a great actor and a good Bruce Wayne, but not a great Batman. He's too short. And of course Jack Nicholson was a good joker (again, for the time), but I didn't like how he had top billing over Keaton, and along those lines the movie featured the Joker first, Bruce Wayne second, and Batman third. As far as the Batman sequels, I puke on them. The Penguin is a rediculous villian, and the only good thing about Batman Returns is Michelle Pfiefer in that Catwoman suite. The next two Joel Schumacher sequels were a very weird cross between the Tim Burton Batman and the campy Batman from the 60's TV series. I like Val Kilmer and all the actors in the first movie, but it was still cheese. And the Cloony and Schwarzenegger one is just plain stupid.

So after the first two Spider-Mans and new Batmans, I would have to say that Iron Man is up there next. I hope for the next one they go for the critically acclaimed alcoholism story arc from the comic book when I was a kid.

I liked the new Incredible Hulk not quite as much as Iron Man, but thought it was still well done. And it was leaps and bounds better than the original Hulk, which holds the distinction of being the second of only two movies I have ever fallen asleep while watching it in the movie theater!

But I do have one question: Was there ever any psuedo-scientific (or sci-fi) rationale as to where all of Hulk's extra mass comes from when he transforms? The new movie even addressed his pants expanding and not ripping off so I thought maybe there was an explaination for all of Hulk's extra mass.

My favorite X-Men movie, maybe close up there with Iron Man, is the second one (X-Men United?). I didn't get into that 'transform all humans into mutants from the Statue of Liberty' plot from the first one that much, and thought that the second one was a better movie. I thought the third one had a few good things, but was overall lame and slopping story-telling. Wolverine was pretty good overall, maybe as good as the first X-Men. So my personal X-Men trilogy is Wolverine, X-Men, X-Men United - and I completely disregard X-Men 3.

I didn't see the the middle Punisher movie, but the latest version was a lot better than the first one (Dolph Lungen). I went expecting it to be a simple, violent, gory, action shootemup, and that's exactly what it was. Very video game-like. Not really good enough for owning, but good enough for one viewing.

The original two Superman movies are very nostalgic for me, and I loved them as a child. Even as a kid I thought Superman 4 was lame, but slightly better than Superman 3 which was really dumb. I was happy that Superman Returns ignored 3 and 4, so it was the "new Superman 3".

I saw the new Superman in IMAX 3D in the theater. For not being a complete reboot and instead more of a modernization update to the world of the first two movies (taking place a mere six years after Superman 2), I thought Superman Returns was good for what it was. In the vien of the new superhero movie revolution, I think it was an improvement over the orginals, while still paying tribute to the original two movies and the first comic book superhero, from whom we derive the word superhero.

That being said, the world of Superman may be good for a one-time popcorn flick viewing, but my adult self can't just take any Superman too seriously. For someone who enjoys extremely unrealistic sci-fi, fantasy, and several modern superhero movies, aliens that looks exactly like humans but have awesome fantastic powers is just really stretching it, even for me.

Despite always thinking that strechy powers and the Thing were pretty corny even in the comics, I was still somehow extremely dissappointed with the first Fantastic Four movie. After seeing the first one, I wasn't going to bother with the second but someone lent it to me and I watched it on one of the extremely rare occasions when I was bored. I didn't think it was possible for the sequel to suck as much as the first one, but it was even worse. I puke on these movies. And oh yeah, with great power comes great responsibility. Where have I heard that theme before? The only thing good about these movies was the smoking hot Jessica Alba.

I think that covers them all. :cool: I went ahead and voted for Spiderman just because it is trailing behind Batman.

The poll only allows 10 entries, so I needed to be selected with my choices. We can run off at least 30 movies without any problems I think if we wanted too. So if your movie isn't on the list, sorry.

hard to say. I will go with Iron Man, Dark Knight was awesome too, but I think for all around best, Iron Man wins hands down.

God the Punisher shouldnt be on the list, because everytime they "try" to make the movie its wrong... I will say, Punisher Warzone was the first and only movie in the punisher line that did come very close to the comic book... atleast the feel of the movie and the frank character was more like the comic.

The poll only allows 10 entries, so I needed to be selected with my choices. We can run off at least 30 movies without any problems I think if we wanted too. So if your movie isn't on the list, sorry.

I understand. I didn't mention any movies that weren't on the list (except V for Vendetta), but I did just think of a good superhero movie that's not on the poll. I loved the unrated Director's Cut of Daredevil, without that stupid studio-mandated love scene, and with longer, more intense action sequences.

I would have said hellboy if it was up there. I said punisher. Only because out of all the ones Ive seen listed. Its the one I enjoyed enough to buy. "The best" Is a hard call for me. I went with what was best and most enjoyable to me.